Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

.375/416 Barret?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Bronze Member

Re: .375/416 Barret?

Are you guys ready for the first peek? Can you handle it?

-AP

Unread 04-05-2010, 07:55 AM
Bronze Member

Ohhhh yeahhh
Bring it on

Dave that looks like a good design.

What barrel length is needed to maximize ERL bullet in a 375/416 Barret?

What are the advantages wuth the 375/416 Barret cartridge over the 375 SnipeTac.

Kirby have you seen and tested the cases made by Dieter Horneber?

Cheers,

Master Diver
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Master Diver,

Not the 408 CT cases but I have seen some of the 338 Lapua versions. Good brass, would not say any better then the Lapua but good. From what I have heard, the cost is what would keep me from using them. Likely just the import tarriffs but pretty spendy brass from what I have heard second had. Never talked to them or gotten a price list even though I e-mailed and requested one a couple years ago.

I have been talking to a few guys about the new Bertram brass made in the last year or so and they say its much better then the older versions which were extremely soft. Sounds like the same situation as Jamison but those I spoke to that had used both the new Bertram and curret Jamison brass said they were going to just stick with Jamison to support a US company as there was no real difference in brass quality.

So I stand corrected so some degree. Seems the new Bertram brass is decent strength but still no better then the US made Jamison as far as taking pressure. The brass I sectioned and tested was made several years go but the TTI brass which was also said to be made by Bertram was at least the same age and there was absolutely NO comparision between the two, the Bertram brass would loose a primer pocket long before the TTI brass even started to get rolling. In fact I looked up my test load log where I tested this brass and there is the max loads for each brass. By max load I mean the point where the there was a noticably loosening in primer pocket tightness on the first high pressure loading.

Bertram
300 gr SMK...........139.0 gr H-50BMG.............3223 fps

TTI
300 gr SMK............148.0 gr H-50BMG.............3418 fps

Current Jamison brass is around 142.0 gr with an average velocity of 3289 fps in a 32" barrel length. (As a comparison, Black Sunshine, my 40" barreled 338 AM produced 3502 fps with the same load with the TTI brass which was a usible load)

Now, this is not saying that the rounds could not be loaded a bit higher. I have customers currently using the Jamison brass that are pushing 3400 fps with 33" barrel lengths and getting many firings per case. I just have to be a bit more conservative in load recommendations and if I feel the primer pockets loosening on the first firing, I consider that about max.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Bronze Member

Kirby,

I also had BIG problems with Bertram brass some time ago, it was in the caliber .500 Jeffery and sold as factory ammo by Kynamco (old renamed Kynoch) The cases was so thin that they could NOT be reloaded in CIP spec die-set. The bullet was not crimped enough and you could turn it with very little effert. Furthermore the cases where to short that the had a 25% missfire and was simply sushed forward in the chamber, This NEVER hapned with the Casas by Horneber cases.

I got a custom order of 375 SnipeTac casas made up by Dieter Horneber and they seem to be GQ, Dave also got some and has tested them.
I need cases with original caliber headstamp to match the caliber on the rifle for travel around the world, airport security staff DOES NOT undestand wildcat cartridges

Dieter Horneber can be hard to get in touch with, but give it a try again if you need custom brass he is the one in Europe to go to.

Cheers,

Master Diver
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Bronze Member

Jamison is the way to go here. If TTI would go public again, we would have some spectacular brass here again. One might be able to get their loaded ammunition and reload. I also heard Norma has stepped up with their 300 Norma Mag. Again, a .590 (LM) case head to go along with the 300LM as they did the 338NM. They are not double stamping the case heads and they are strong! Had one in my hand at the shot show, but have not got a chance to load one up yet. Might want to inquire.

So what every happened to the old two-part stainless steel case head brass they use to make?

Here's that pic:
Unread 04-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Master Diver,

That is the exact reason why I invested the money to have Jamison make my 338 and 375 Allen Magnum brass with my correct head stamp so that you do not have the issued with airline security issues or the need for my customers to spend a load to get custom made brass for their rifles.

Jamison has been working on a 338 Lapua case as well, good brass, but just not quite as strong as the Lapua version. I would say on par with the Norma and Hornady version, good brass. I have been considering investing in getting Jamison to make cases for me on the Lapua case headstamped with 7mm Allen Magnum, 300 Allen Xpress, 338 Allen Xpress and 375 Allen Xpress. As you can imagine though, the cost is pretty high so that may come a bit at a time. It would really help customers getting these rifles over seas to hunt with though.

Thanks for the report on the German cases, very interesting. If you would not mind, how much per case do the 375 Sniper Tac cases run you by the time they are in your hand with shipping?

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Unread 04-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Bronze Member

Nice,

Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

Master Diver