close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

375/408 Banded Solids Test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Gold Member

Re: 375/408 Banded Solids Test

Edge,
I would have to run a test but if i remember right the total capacity is around 169gns of H2O.
With Retumbo, 140gns it is right at the top of the shoulder area.

Dave

"Let the good times roll"
    Unread 02-11-2010, 02:12 PM
    Silver Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Black Diamond 408 View Post
    Here is a comparison of some 375cal bullets that we have been talking about.

From Left to Right...

1. Sierra 350gn SMK "Jacketed"
    2. Rocky Mountain 361gn Alum tipped "Jacketed" VLD
    3. Predator 347gn Brass solid
    4. GS Custom 355gn Copper solid
    5. ZA 6.5cal length Copper solid 400gn
    6. ZA 7.0cal length Copper solid 420gn

375 Snipetac shell casing

Dave
    Dave, this foto is awesome, it really helps for comparison....If the 6.5 works in your barrel, I think I will order your barrel twist. I don't really need to go to 7, the 6.5 is a real missle...and compared to the smk, it's killer!!! Will the 6.5 open like a hallow point on game or will it bend at 90 degrees like others???

Unread 02-11-2010, 02:25 PM
    Silver Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kellyzier View Post
    Dave, this foto is awesome, it really helps for comparison....If the 6.5 works in your barrel, I think I will order your barrel twist. I don't really need to go to 7, the 6.5 is a real missle...and compared to the smk, it's killer!!! Will the 6.5 open like a hallow point on game or will it bend at 90 degrees like others???

Based on what you guys are saying, it sounds like I can go up to a 6.0 cal with a stand twist like the 11.5 and if I wish to step up the 6.5 or longer, I will need a gain twist barrel like the 16 to 7.75......It would be killer if the 6.5 cal would stabilize in a standard twist barrel. If not, does anyone know how long you would have to wait for a "gain twist" barrel????

kz
    Unread 02-11-2010, 02:38 PM
    Silver Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kellyzier View Post
    Never mind, I see the 6.5 is a sold,,,do it will probably bend to a 90......Still would like to know the lead times on the gain twist barrels???

thanks
    kz
    Unread 02-11-2010, 04:18 PM
    Silver Member

Kelly, I seriously doubt an 11 twist will stabilize the solid copper 6 cal ZA 375 at top velocities. You will not be happy with a 7.75 twist using the solid copper 6.5 cal ZA375. To be honest no one really knows how the bullet configurations and barrel twists are going to shake out in the end. The tungsten core bullets theoretically will stabilize in slower twist barrels than the solid copper when compared to configurations of the same demension. The CG and wt. can be manipulated in an almost unlimited fashion by changing the size and shape of the core. Also the tungsten core bullets should be frangible and if so will be devestating on game.

Franky, there are several people including myself who are trying to work all this out on their own dime. My advice to you and others is to be patient and see what shakes out in the next few months. There should be more to share about the whole line of Za copper solids and the Za tungsten core bullets within a few wks. It is for certian that you will need a switch barrel set-up to take advantage of the line of bullets Pictured in 408s post. If you really have the bug and cant wait any longer I would advise you to order two barrels. Get an 11ish for the SMK and similar bullets and a 10-6 gain twist for the various solids. Buy you an action wrench and barrel vise and you should be GTG. Anyway if you do this it will help us all when you post what you are seeing when you begin to fire some rds.
    Unread 02-11-2010, 05:00 PM
    Silver Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
    Kelly, I seriously doubt an 11 twist will stabilize the solid copper 6 cal ZA 375 at top velocities. You will not be happy with a 7.75 twist using the solid copper 6.5 cal ZA375. To be honest no one really knows how the bullet configurations and barrel twists are going to shake out in the end. The tungsten core bullets theoretically will stabilize in slower twist barrels than the solid copper when compared to configurations of the same demension. The CG and wt. can be manipulated in an almost unlimited fashion by changing the size and shape of the core. Also the tungsten core bullets should be frangible and if so will be devestating on game.

Franky, there are several people including myself who are trying to work all this out on their own dime. My advice to you and others is to be patient and see what shakes out in the next few months. There should be more to share about the whole line of Za copper solids and the Za tungsten core bullets within a few wks. It is for certian that you will need a switch barrel set-up to take advantage of the line of bullets Pictured in 408s post. If you really have the bug and cant wait any longer I would advise you to order two barrels. Get an 11ish for the SMK and similar bullets and a 10-6 gain twist for the various solids. Buy you an action wrench and barrel vise and you should be GTG. Anyway if you do this it will help us all when you post what you are seeing when you begin to fire some rds.

Augustus.......Good advice, Thanks....I will use your suggestion and use two barrels and swap them out....It's a heck of a lot cheaper than two guns!!

Do you think I can use the rkm rbtat 370 gr, RKM rbtat 370 gr, Lehigh 350 gr in a standard twist around the 10 to 11 ish range? Also, someone mentioned the Hooker for standard twists, but I can't find any data on their web site on the bullet, no bc no weight etc??

And yes, I will post my findings this spring as I shoot,,,,

thanks
    KZ
    Unread 02-11-2010, 05:02 PM
    Silver Member

Sorry, I typed RKM twice, I ment to type Preditor 350 gr instead.........