Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

375/408 Banded Solids Test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-10-2010, 01:35 AM
Gold Member

Re: 375/408 Banded Solids Test

Kelly,
If your going to go into the very high BC bullets you need to look into a Bartlein gain twist
barrel. My personal rifle has a 16 start twist and ends up at 7.75 at the muzzle. This was
made for Noels mid range bullets and other high BC jacketed types. It shoots the SMK rather
well. I will be testing numerous bullet types, although it prolly will not be fast enough for the
extreme bullets.

I have one for a customer i am building that has the same twist as Noels test barrels. I think they were 12 start to around 6 ish ending twist. By starting the bullet out with a slow twist you wont strip off the driving bands like a standard 7 twist could if not careful.

Dave

"Let the good times roll"

Unread 02-10-2010, 01:48 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond 408 View Post
Kelly,
If your going to go into the very high BC bullets you need to look into a Bartlein gain twist
barrel. My personal rifle has a 16 start twist and ends up at 7.75 at the muzzle. This was
made for Noels mid range bullets and other high BC jacketed types. It shoots the SMK rather
well. I will be testing numerous bullet types, although it prolly will not be fast enough for the
extreme bullets.

I have one for a customer i am building that has the same twist as Noels test barrels. I think they were 12 start to around 6 ish ending twist. By starting the bullet out with a slow twist you wont strip off the driving bands like a standard 7 twist could if not careful.

Dave
Dave, this is great info....thanks a ton...what barrel (type and twist) would you suggest if a guy wanted to shoot both the EXTREEME bullets and the SMK 350's....Would it be the one you are building for your customer that has 12 to start and down to a 6 at the muzzel? Im not versed at all in the EXTREME BULLET department.
Unread 02-10-2010, 02:45 AM
Gold Member

Kelly,
I dont know if the 6.5 twist will work with the SMK, Noel might have tried them? If you want to shoot a larger aray of bullets then you have to stay with a slower twist like what is on my rifle,
16 to 7.75 or close. This twist will still handle the 6 cal length bullets and maybe the 6.5 cal length, even then your into the very high bc bullets. The 7 cal length bullets you will need the real fast twist, i call these the extreme types. These should be like laser guided missles.

Any way you look at it these are for super long range shooting.

Dave

Unread 02-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Kelly,
I dont know if the 6.5 twist will work with the SMK, Noel might have tried them? If you want to shoot a larger aray of bullets then you have to stay with a slower twist like what is on my rifle,
16 to 7.75 or close. This twist will still handle the 6 cal length bullets and maybe the 6.5 cal length, even then your into the very high bc bullets. The 7 cal length bullets you will need the real fast twist, i call these the extreme types. These should be like laser guided missles.

Any way you look at it these are for super long range shooting.

Dave
Thanks Dave, do you know if some of these bullets you are talking about can be used for hunitng??? The 375 has so much frontal are and they are so big that some folks are hunting with solids....I know one of the guys from Cheytac uses the 375 ....300 gr solid to hunt with......Also, is there a calculation somewhere to convert 7 cal to inches??? Thanks again!!!
Unread 02-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Bronze Member

7 cal to inches = 7 x .375 = 2.625" = 66.67mm

Cheers,

Master Diver
Unread 02-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Gold Member

Kelly,
Yes there will be some variants of these bullets legal for hunting use. I think Noel has one style, Rocky Mtn, Henson, and Predator is working on a hollow point design. There are a lot of
guys hunting with the solids, just not legal if you get caught. Most of these long solid bullets are
made to bend sideways when they impact. I have recovered some of the 408 bullets and they were bent in a U shape.

The Rocky Mtn bullet
Is a tru match grade hunting bullet
370gns, it is a massive beast in the cheytac or Snipetac chamber

The Predator bullet
350 gn solid
A very slick flying bullet
Dynamic Research, LLC

The Sierra 350 smk is a good hunting bullet and priced reasonable. A good everyday shooting
bullet.

Dave

Unread 02-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Kelly,
Yes there will be some variants of these bullets legal for hunting use. I think Noel has one style, Rocky Mtn, Henson, and Predator is working on a hollow point design. There are a lot of
guys hunting with the solids, just not legal if you get caught. Most of these long solid bullets are
made to bend sideways when they impact. I have recovered some of the 408 bullets and they were bent in a U shape.

The Rocky Mtn bullet
Is a tru match grade hunting bullet
370gns, it is a massive beast in the cheytac or Snipetac chamber

The Predator bullet
350 gn solid
A very slick flying bullet
Dynamic Research, LLC

The Sierra 350 smk is a good hunting bullet and priced reasonable. A good everyday shooting
bullet.

Dave
Dave, sorry for all the questions!!! The SMK 350 is an option for me, but Im hoping for something with a better BC. Does anyone know the BC of the Rky mtn 375 in 370 or the Predator 350? Im sure if they show up in NV, the BCs will be exposed, but I wonder what they are advertising??

thanks
kelly