close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Reply

375/408 Banded Solids Test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #22  
Unread 02-09-2010, 02:07 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 214
Re: 375/408 Banded Solids Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
Upon striking a median these bullets have a very predictable habit of the first 1/2 inch of the long thin nose folding to one side. It dont seem to take a lot of impact for the nose to bend ninety degrees to the body. When I fired it into the clay the nose completely folded back and the body also bent causing the recovered projectile to look like a doughnut with a little tiny whole in the center. Right now I cant tell you how fast this will happen when striking a game animal; however it dont seem to take much to get at least the first 1/2 inch of the nose to go ninety degrees. These bullets are copper and after they have been perfected there may be a oxygen free copper version that will deform more quickly. Just as it is I think on Mule deer and Elk this thing would be devastating. The hunting applications of this projectile is still a big question mark. We will see. I dont know if it would be legal in some states.
Noel and Augustus, I was looking at some old posts here.....Do you guys have any updates since this last post on the Banded Bullets.....for 375 or 338 allen mags????

Noel, thanks for the report here, I ran some ballistics on the 431 gr bullet and wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  •   #23  
    Unread 02-09-2010, 08:00 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2009
    Posts: 214
    Re: 375/408 Banded Solids Test

    Kelly,

    The 431 grain version was a very early ZA375 design that had stability problems when fired at a MV greater than 2,600 fps. This was remedied to some extent by tail revision, which added an additional 150 fps from the same 8" twist.

    A 1: 6.5" twist stabilizes the 421 grain, 7.0 caliber, to it's maximum velocity of 2,950 fps from a CheyTac case. The 400 grain 6.5 caliber ZA can be driven to 3,100-3,200 fps from the CheyTac. We have not tried am AM loading.

    Both are capable of sub-half minute groups out to 1,500 yards, but we are looking for better data collection at the upcoming Las Vegas test.

    Best,
    Noel
    Reply With Quote

      #24  
    Unread 02-09-2010, 11:25 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2009
    Posts: 214
    Re: 375/408 Banded Solids Test

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noel carlson View Post
    Kelly,

    The 431 grain version was a very early ZA375 design that had stability problems when fired at a MV greater than 2,600 fps. This was remedied to some extent by tail revision, which added an additional 150 fps from the same 8" twist.

    A 1: 6.5" twist stabilizes the 421 grain, 7.0 caliber, to it's maximum velocity of 2,950 fps from a CheyTac case. The 400 grain 6.5 caliber ZA can be driven to 3,100-3,200 fps from the CheyTac. We have not tried am AM loading.

    Both are capable of sub-half minute groups out to 1,500 yards, but we are looking for better data collection at the upcoming Las Vegas test.

    Best,
    Noel
    Noel, thanks for the info here....I love the performance of the 338 Allen Mag......But like others, I am always looking for more performance...This Chey-Tac 6.5 ZA is totally new to me....It sounds like a 400 gr bullet for the 6.5??? Can you explaine this a bit more????? Also, we'd all love to hear more about the results of this shoot in NV....Please keep us in the loop

    kelly
    Reply With Quote
      #25  
    Unread 02-09-2010, 11:46 PM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Location: Nebraska
    Posts: 810
    Re: 375/408 Banded Solids Test

    Kelly,
    That bullet is a 400gn 375cal dia, 6.5 calibers long. (Aprox 2 7/16" long) If im wrong
    Noel will correct me.

    Dave
    __________________
    www.cowboy-dave.com

    "Let the good times roll"
    Reply With Quote
      #26  
    Unread 02-10-2010, 12:03 AM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2009
    Posts: 214
    Re: 375/408 Banded Solids Test

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Black Diamond 408 View Post
    Kelly,
    That bullet is a 400gn 375cal dia, 6.5 calibers long. (Aprox 2 7/16" long) If im wrong
    Noel will correct me.

    Dave
    Dave, thanks for the speedy info.....Noel,,,Please do update us on this 400 grainer...I am going to build a 408-375 improved and hope to get away from the 350 gn SMK and perhaps this 400 grainer will be the pill. Any update on this bullet would be greatly appreciated!!!!! Anyone know the BC on this baby?

    thanks in advance,
    kelly
    Reply With Quote
      #27  
    Unread 02-10-2010, 12:44 AM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2009
    Posts: 214
    Re: 375/408 Banded Solids Test

    Kelly,

    The ZA375/6.5-M (for "match" solid) is the midlength version of it's series. It is not magazine compatible, but is very stable from a 1: 6.5" twist. There is another "W" (tungsten core) series that has greater gyroscopic stability, and a higher BC in most cases. You will have to wait for the Las Vegas results to get a BC... I hope you can understand why.

    I will do my best to get as many ZA projectiles into the testing as possible.

    Best,
    Noel
    Reply With Quote
      #28  
    Unread 02-10-2010, 01:01 AM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2009
    Posts: 214
    Re: 375/408 Banded Solids Test

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noel carlson View Post
    Kelly,

    The ZA375/6.5-M (for "match" solid) is the midlength version of it's series. It is not magazine compatible, but is very stable from a 1: 6.5" twist. There is another "W" (tungsten core) series that has greater gyroscopic stability, and a higher BC in most cases. You will have to wait for the Las Vegas results to get a BC... I hope you can understand why.

    I will do my best to get as many ZA projectiles into the testing as possible.

    Best,
    Noel
    Thanks Noel,,,do you know if they will be testing the "W" series at the NV shoot? If its longer and better stabilized, this could be a great bullet for the 375. Most of the 408-375's I see out there are in the 1:10 -12 twist range. Will the "W" series require a 1:6.5 also? If so, why such a tight twist. I'm lucky, I have not ordered my barrel yet, so Im patiently waiting for these NV results so I don't have to reb-barrel when the next great widget comes out.

    thanks
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: 375/408 Banded Solids Test
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    338 solids for bears snake Bear Hunting 9 01-11-2011 10:20 PM
    Looking for .308 220 grain solids SAPH Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 2 10-25-2010 06:01 PM
    Banded Solids Augustus Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 1 07-28-2009 11:24 AM
    Banded bird Woodycreek Waterfowl Hunting 6 09-15-2008 01:06 PM
    lathe turned solids Nighthawk Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 2 01-16-2004 12:00 AM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC