Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

375/408 Banded Solids Test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: 375/408 Banded Solids Test

duplicate deletion

Last edited by noel carlson; 03-16-2010 at 03:25 PM.

Unread 03-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Silver Member

Kelly,

The timely supply of standard 416R LGT barrels has been a real problem.

I have been holding off on offering the more advanced barrel due to my pre-occupation with refinement of the ZA projectile series, but am reassessing that priority. I may just enter the barrel business earlier than originally planned. I will keep you posted.

I would like to take this chance to express open thanks, and explain the rationale to the rest of you, for the involvement of people like Augustus.

The beta testers are, uniformly, talented, observant, and frank in their field reports. The single greatest asset in the production of a superior product, is a function of their feed-back. There is no quid pro quo for their services, but you can be assured that I will take care of them at the proper time. In the interim, be grateful that they share my passion for the improvement of our tools. The sport is the ultimate beneficiary.

Last edited by noel carlson; 03-16-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Unread 03-24-2010, 07:19 AM
Bronze Member

I have a .375 CheyTac built on a Lawton 8000 action. The barrel is a Lawton 11.5 twist Lost River Bore, fluted, and finished at 32" in a McRee brake. It sits in a McRee stock. I am just starting to load for it and was going to duplicate the Jamison 375 load of 139 gr. Retumbo, 350 gr. solid and 350 gr. SMK., LMR primer and Jamison Brass. My question is do you think this is wise or should I back it down. I have not shot the Jamison factory load. I would think it would be safe but want to get feed back from folks that have loaded and shot this platform. I will be testing from 1K to 2K yards once up and fully running.
Unread 03-24-2010, 08:20 AM
Bronze Member

Kellyzier,

The GS Custom 420 grain .375 SP's are finished. If you would like some, you are more then welcome to order online. They are stable from a 1:8.5 twist or faster, and are oxygen free copper with 17 years of GS experience and design behind it. If you would like more information or details, feel free to shoot them an e-mail at gerard@wol.co.za, or PM me and I'll give you my phone number.

P.S. GS Custom Bullets is coming to the US!...actually, they are already here. We are opening up the manufacturing facility here in Niles, MI.
Unread 03-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremist View Post
Kellyzier,

The GS Custom 420 grain .375 SP's are finished. If you would like some, you are more then welcome to order online. They are stable from a 1:8.5 twist or faster, and are oxygen free copper with 17 years of GS experience and design behind it. If you would like more information or details, feel free to shoot them an e-mail at gerard@wol.co.za, or PM me and I'll give you my phone number.

P.S. GS Custom Bullets is coming to the US!...actually, they are already here. We are opening up the manufacturing facility here in Niles, MI.
Sent them an email and waiting for a response...I cant find any data on the 420 on the GS web site..Do you have any tech data including BC??? Have these guys done some extensive R n D on this new bullet with any of the chey tacs??/

thanks
kz
Unread 03-24-2010, 11:24 PM
Bronze Member

Gerard is at the AIM show in Johannesburg right now, so it might be a week before he gets back to you. Sorry. The website has not been updated yet with a lot of the bullets, and the technical data section is rather lacking. GSC makes over 260 bullets, and they are so swamped right now they haven't had time to upload anything in the last year. It is a new bullet and so we have not heard from anyone who had taken it past 1000 yards. 5 guys have rifles built for these bullets, and they are waiting for the bullets to arrive before they can take it any further (only a small batch of samples was initially sent for testing). Waiting to hear back from a guy who is taking it past 1100 yards, and another who is taking to 3000m, so he has promised.

As for Technical Data, I can help out with much of that. Gerard has the entire file on it, but I can tell you it has a B.C. of 1.243 at 3100fps, and we have seen as much as 3400fps, which he has designed to be about the fastest you want to send that bullet (designed speed is more his thing). But the real kicker is that it maintains a B.C. of .9+ at 1200fps. The bullet likes an 1:8.5 twist, but it will work out of faster, and maybe (untested) as slow as a 9.

Unfortunately non of the test rifles we have shipped to are Chey-Tac's. Snipe-Tac yes, and a special built .375/50 case I have yet to see. No real extensive R&D yet. The design is the same as in the 295 grain .338 that has been sent all over the world since 2004, but I have not seen nor heard back from the guys buying them yet, but then again, I believe they are waiting on their rifles to get finished. Hope that helps.
Unread 03-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremist View Post
Gerard is at the AIM show in Johannesburg right now, so it might be a week before he gets back to you. Sorry. The website has not been updated yet with a lot of the bullets, and the technical data section is rather lacking. GSC makes over 260 bullets, and they are so swamped right now they haven't had time to upload anything in the last year. It is a new bullet and so we have not heard from anyone who had taken it past 1000 yards. 5 guys have rifles built for these bullets, and they are waiting for the bullets to arrive before they can take it any further (only a small batch of samples was initially sent for testing). Waiting to hear back from a guy who is taking it past 1100 yards, and another who is taking to 3000m, so he has promised.

As for Technical Data, I can help out with much of that. Gerard has the entire file on it, but I can tell you it has a B.C. of 1.243 at 3100fps, and we have seen as much as 3400fps, which he has designed to be about the fastest you want to send that bullet (designed speed is more his thing). But the real kicker is that it maintains a B.C. of .9+ at 1200fps. The bullet likes an 1:8.5 twist, but it will work out of faster, and maybe (untested) as slow as a 9.

Unfortunately non of the test rifles we have shipped to are Chey-Tac's. Snipe-Tac yes, and a special built .375/50 case I have yet to see. No real extensive R&D yet. The design is the same as in the 295 grain .338 that has been sent all over the world since 2004, but I have not seen nor heard back from the guys buying them yet, but then again, I believe they are waiting on their rifles to get finished. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the info here......Any guesses on how fast a 375 snipe tac will take this 420 gr bullet, without over doing it pressure wise???