Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

375/408 Banded Solids Test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-12-2010, 02:40 AM
Silver Member

Re: 375/408 Banded Solids Test

Yep, firing these things is where the rubber meets the road, they are stable or they are not, they are accurate or they are not, the BC will manifest itself. Nuff said.

Unread 03-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
Yep, firing these things is where the rubber meets the road, they are stable or they are not, they are accurate or they are not, the BC will manifest itself. Nuff said.
Frankly, I am optimistic about the shoot, and no offense, but these guys have not even picked a date yet. You can't plan something this big without setting a date. People have kids, family, events, sports etc and there needs to be a date for the shoot. Without a date, we will be talking about the NV shoot for the next 3 years.

For this reason, Im hoping and waiting for guys like you, Dave (black diamond), myself and others to simply get batches of these bullets and shoot them. Dave should be shooting his 420 grainers very soon, and I trust his judgment. If they work in his 8 twist gun, then Im pulling the trigger and ordering my first barrel. Let me know if you get some of these bullets from GS, it would be good to hear your feedback

kz
Unread 03-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond 408 View Post
Kelly,
I have built two 375's for my personal use, the first one was to test a McGowan
12 twist barrel. It shot the 350,s great, but the longer bullets were not so stable.

My second rifle has the Gain Twist experiment, i wanted to move into the higher BC
bullets that are coming out, remember the standard twist for the cheytac is 11.5 and
that shoots the Hookers good and they are a high BC of .945 plus the SMKs at .770
I do a lot of R and D here with barrels and twists and new wildcats, some work some dont.
I have tried most twist rates but when you start dealing in the extreme BC bullets your
going to be stuck with one bullet type or make.

Long range ... well the SMK has enough energy to kill an Elk past 2400yds, the 370gn RockyMtn
will have even more and these are legal hunting bullets. So in my opinon if your building a rifle your going to hunt with then get a barrel that will handle these bullets. If you push these bullets to 3200fps and over spin them you will see poor results. It takes quite a while to get a
gain twist barrel from Bartlien. I would like to try a Gain twist in somthing like 20 to 10 exit, Just for the Jacketed bullets.

Dave,
Have you had a chance to shoot those new GS 420 gr solids??????

thanks
kz
Unread 03-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Gold Member

Kelly,
They are not availble yet.

Dave

"Let the good times roll"
Unread 03-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond 408 View Post
Kelly,
They are not availble yet.

Dave
I must have misunderstood you,,,I thought that GS sent you some demo bullets to try in your gun....
Unread 03-16-2010, 12:49 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Kelly, I seriously doubt an 11 twist will stabilize the solid copper 6 cal ZA 375 at top velocities. You will not be happy with a 7.75 twist using the solid copper 6.5 cal ZA375. To be honest no one really knows how the bullet configurations and barrel twists are going to shake out in the end. The tungsten core bullets theoretically will stabilize in slower twist barrels than the solid copper when compared to configurations of the same demension. The CG and wt. can be manipulated in an almost unlimited fashion by changing the size and shape of the core. Also the tungsten core bullets should be frangible and if so will be devestating on game.

Franky, there are several people including myself who are trying to work all this out on their own dime. My advice to you and others is to be patient and see what shakes out in the next few months. There should be more to share about the whole line of Za copper solids and the Za tungsten core bullets within a few wks. It is for certian that you will need a switch barrel set-up to take advantage of the line of bullets Pictured in 408s post. If you really have the bug and cant wait any longer I would advise you to order two barrels. Get an 11ish for the SMK and similar bullets and a 10-6 gain twist for the various solids. Buy you an action wrench and barrel vise and you should be GTG. Anyway if you do this it will help us all when you post what you are seeing when you begin to fire some rds.
Agustus,
Did you order your 9--5.5 gain twist barrel yet? If so, what lead time did they quote you and who did you order it from. I might do the same for my second barrel. Im running out of time and Im hearing about longer lead times for barrels.

Frankly, if I thought a 1--7 standard twist barrel would do the job on the longer solids, I'd perfer to order this. But it sounds like the gain twist might be a safer bet???

kz
Unread 03-16-2010, 12:52 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Kelly, I seriously doubt an 11 twist will stabilize the solid copper 6 cal ZA 375 at top velocities. You will not be happy with a 7.75 twist using the solid copper 6.5 cal ZA375. To be honest no one really knows how the bullet configurations and barrel twists are going to shake out in the end. The tungsten core bullets theoretically will stabilize in slower twist barrels than the solid copper when compared to configurations of the same demension. The CG and wt. can be manipulated in an almost unlimited fashion by changing the size and shape of the core. Also the tungsten core bullets should be frangible and if so will be devestating on game.

Franky, there are several people including myself who are trying to work all this out on their own dime. My advice to you and others is to be patient and see what shakes out in the next few months. There should be more to share about the whole line of Za copper solids and the Za tungsten core bullets within a few wks. It is for certian that you will need a switch barrel set-up to take advantage of the line of bullets Pictured in 408s post. If you really have the bug and cant wait any longer I would advise you to order two barrels. Get an 11ish for the SMK and similar bullets and a 10-6 gain twist for the various solids. Buy you an action wrench and barrel vise and you should be GTG. Anyway if you do this it will help us all when you post what you are seeing when you begin to fire some rds.
Augustus,
And one more thing, I have heard that the new GS 420 gr solid will stablize in a standard 1--8 twist barrel at velocities well past anything the 375 chey tac (imporved) can produce. Does this sound right??????