close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Reply

375/408 Banded Solids Test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #99  
Unread 03-07-2010, 12:59 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 214
Re: 375/408 Banded Solids Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
My 375 is a standard case and 2900 is attainable, it is MAX. My 375 barrels are 30 in. The Snipe-Tac should push it faster but 3150 is probably being a little optimistic. As far as the seven being stable at 3150 from a 5.5 exit twist, I simply dont know and I will bet nobody else on the planet knows. If you order the barrel you will probably be the first to answer the question.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote
  •   #100  
    Unread 03-07-2010, 11:58 AM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Mar 2007
    Location: Montana
    Posts: 2,667
    Re: 375/408 Banded Solids Test

    Kelly,

    I assume that you have considered what you will do if this bullet barrel combo does not shoot well. Just curious what the "plan B" is?

    Steve
    __________________
    Hammer Bullets
    Advanced Technology
    Simply Better


    To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.
    Reply With Quote

      #101  
    Unread 03-07-2010, 01:50 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2009
    Posts: 214
    Re: 375/408 Banded Solids Test

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
    Kelly,

    I assume that you have considered what you will do if this bullet barrel combo does not shoot well. Just curious what the "plan B" is?

    Steve

    Steve, Yes, Im ordering two different barrels...My primary barrel will be somewhere around 1 : 11 (ish). This shoots the more main stream bullets like the Rky mtn and the SMK.

    The other barrel will really be dedicated to the long solids up to 7 cal.....This is where my struggle lies along with everyone else. Im willing to use an experimental barrel for this qwest. If we can get enough guys dabbeling in this area, sooner or later we will find the sweet spot.

    Im resisting the urge to just change directions and settle with the 338 AM or snipe tec. I dont want to go this route cause its such a barrel burner. 375 really seems to be an efficient cartridge.

    kz
    Reply With Quote
      #102  
    Unread 03-07-2010, 02:00 PM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Mar 2007
    Location: Montana
    Posts: 2,667
    Re: 375/408 Banded Solids Test

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kellyzier View Post
    Steve, Yes, Im ordering two different barrels...My primary barrel will be somewhere around 1 : 11 (ish). This shoots the more main stream bullets like the Rky mtn and the SMK.

    The other barrel will really be dedicated to the long solids up to 7 cal.....This is where my struggle lies along with everyone else. Im willing to use an experimental barrel for this qwest. If we can get enough guys dabbeling in this area, sooner or later we will find the sweet spot.

    Im resisting the urge to just change directions and settle with the 338 AM or snipe tec. I dont want to go this route cause its such a barrel burner. 375 really seems to be an efficient cartridge.

    kz
    I gotta say it is very nice of you to take the R&D risks for someone else. Unless I am missing something and you are not the one at risk, or you have a vested interest other than just a potential customer of the test projectile.

    Steve
    __________________
    Hammer Bullets
    Advanced Technology
    Simply Better


    To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.
    Reply With Quote
      #103  
    Unread 03-07-2010, 02:15 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2009
    Posts: 214
    Re: 375/408 Banded Solids Test

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
    I gotta say it is very nice of you to take the R&D risks for someone else. Unless I am missing something and you are not the one at risk, or you have a vested interest other than just a potential customer of the test projectile.

    Steve

    Steve, not sure what you are getting at here??? Im a long distance shooter and hunter, Im not a gun maker or a bullet maker. I dont plan on shooting just one projectile. I'll shoot anything that works. If I can't find something that will work, then I'll spin my own.

    It sounds like you're suggesting that I have a vested interest??? Perhaps others find it odd that people like me are so passionate about shooting that they are willing to spend some money in the quest for something better.

    Yea, Im the one at risk with an expiermental barrel. Yea, I wish the bullet makers would do more, but Im not waiting around for them.

    kz
    Reply With Quote
      #104  
    Unread 03-07-2010, 03:02 PM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Mar 2007
    Location: Montana
    Posts: 2,667
    Re: 375/408 Banded Solids Test

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kellyzier View Post
    Steve, not sure what you are getting at here??? Im a long distance shooter and hunter, Im not a gun maker or a bullet maker. I dont plan on shooting just one projectile. I'll shoot anything that works. If I can't find something that will work, then I'll spin my own.

    It sounds like you're suggesting that I have a vested interest??? Perhaps others find it odd that people like me are so passionate about shooting that they are willing to spend some money in the quest for something better.

    Yea, Im the one at risk with an expiermental barrel. Yea, I wish the bullet makers would do more, but Im not waiting around for them.

    kz
    Kelly,

    Not getting at anything, just understanding. I can not afford to just buy a barrel and build a rifle for a chance that a bullet that someone else is in the process of developing, might work. And if it does not, being stuck with a barrel that is not usable for anything else on the market.

    I guess in the end, my thanks to you for sticking your "neck" out for a chance at new product, just for your personal use.

    Steve
    __________________
    Hammer Bullets
    Advanced Technology
    Simply Better


    To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.
    Reply With Quote
      #105  
    Unread 03-07-2010, 05:35 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2005
    Location: Alaska
    Posts: 4,695
    Re: 375/408 Banded Solids Test

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
    Kelly,
    I guess in the end, my thanks to you for sticking your "neck" out for a chance at new product, just for your personal use.

    Steve
    10-4 on that. Pretty nice that there are members here stepping into the frontiers and sharing their findings with the rest of us. I think the 'bug' has bit them hard and the fact that they share makes for very interesting reading.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: 375/408 Banded Solids Test
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    338 solids for bears snake Bear Hunting 9 01-11-2011 10:20 PM
    Looking for .308 220 grain solids SAPH Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 2 10-25-2010 06:01 PM
    Banded Solids Augustus Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 1 07-28-2009 11:24 AM
    Banded bird Woodycreek Waterfowl Hunting 6 09-15-2008 01:06 PM
    lathe turned solids Nighthawk Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 2 01-16-2004 12:00 AM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC