Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

375/408 Banded Solids Test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-07-2010, 12:59 AM
Silver Member

Re: 375/408 Banded Solids Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
My 375 is a standard case and 2900 is attainable, it is MAX. My 375 barrels are 30 in. The Snipe-Tac should push it faster but 3150 is probably being a little optimistic. As far as the seven being stable at 3150 from a 5.5 exit twist, I simply dont know and I will bet nobody else on the planet knows. If you order the barrel you will probably be the first to answer the question.

Thanks!!

Unread 03-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Kelly,

I assume that you have considered what you will do if this bullet barrel combo does not shoot well. Just curious what the "plan B" is?

Steve

To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.
Unread 03-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
Kelly,

I assume that you have considered what you will do if this bullet barrel combo does not shoot well. Just curious what the "plan B" is?

Steve

Steve, Yes, Im ordering two different barrels...My primary barrel will be somewhere around 1 : 11 (ish). This shoots the more main stream bullets like the Rky mtn and the SMK.

The other barrel will really be dedicated to the long solids up to 7 cal.....This is where my struggle lies along with everyone else. Im willing to use an experimental barrel for this qwest. If we can get enough guys dabbeling in this area, sooner or later we will find the sweet spot.

Im resisting the urge to just change directions and settle with the 338 AM or snipe tec. I dont want to go this route cause its such a barrel burner. 375 really seems to be an efficient cartridge.

kz
Unread 03-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyzier View Post
Steve, Yes, Im ordering two different barrels...My primary barrel will be somewhere around 1 : 11 (ish). This shoots the more main stream bullets like the Rky mtn and the SMK.

The other barrel will really be dedicated to the long solids up to 7 cal.....This is where my struggle lies along with everyone else. Im willing to use an experimental barrel for this qwest. If we can get enough guys dabbeling in this area, sooner or later we will find the sweet spot.

Im resisting the urge to just change directions and settle with the 338 AM or snipe tec. I dont want to go this route cause its such a barrel burner. 375 really seems to be an efficient cartridge.

kz
I gotta say it is very nice of you to take the R&D risks for someone else. Unless I am missing something and you are not the one at risk, or you have a vested interest other than just a potential customer of the test projectile.

Steve

Unread 03-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I gotta say it is very nice of you to take the R&D risks for someone else. Unless I am missing something and you are not the one at risk, or you have a vested interest other than just a potential customer of the test projectile.

Steve

Steve, not sure what you are getting at here??? Im a long distance shooter and hunter, Im not a gun maker or a bullet maker. I dont plan on shooting just one projectile. I'll shoot anything that works. If I can't find something that will work, then I'll spin my own.

It sounds like you're suggesting that I have a vested interest??? Perhaps others find it odd that people like me are so passionate about shooting that they are willing to spend some money in the quest for something better.

Yea, Im the one at risk with an expiermental barrel. Yea, I wish the bullet makers would do more, but Im not waiting around for them.

kz
Unread 03-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyzier View Post
Steve, not sure what you are getting at here??? Im a long distance shooter and hunter, Im not a gun maker or a bullet maker. I dont plan on shooting just one projectile. I'll shoot anything that works. If I can't find something that will work, then I'll spin my own.

It sounds like you're suggesting that I have a vested interest??? Perhaps others find it odd that people like me are so passionate about shooting that they are willing to spend some money in the quest for something better.

Yea, Im the one at risk with an expiermental barrel. Yea, I wish the bullet makers would do more, but Im not waiting around for them.

kz
Kelly,

Not getting at anything, just understanding. I can not afford to just buy a barrel and build a rifle for a chance that a bullet that someone else is in the process of developing, might work. And if it does not, being stuck with a barrel that is not usable for anything else on the market.

I guess in the end, my thanks to you for sticking your "neck" out for a chance at new product, just for your personal use.

Steve

Unread 03-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Kelly,
I guess in the end, my thanks to you for sticking your "neck" out for a chance at new product, just for your personal use.

Steve
10-4 on that. Pretty nice that there are members here stepping into the frontiers and sharing their findings with the rest of us. I think the 'bug' has bit them hard and the fact that they share makes for very interesting reading.