Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

36 bulls 8 different bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 36 bulls 8 different bullets

Well done.

I've started to log this sort of data, but just wish that I had done so in the past as so much detail has been lost ... You've done well and thanks for sharing this knowledge.

There is so much discussion regarding which bullets are best for deer, and I found myself thinking that you hit the nail on the head regarding the Nosler Partition.

It's a great bullet, and it's understandable why it works so well in that the frontal section will open reliably at low velocity, and at high impact velocity it will fragment ... and in this case thats OK because the rear section will always maintain weight and drive through and give you that wound canal and exit wound. I like it.

I've been using bonded bullets for the last 15 years, but I have to say that I'm inclined to use the Partition where I anticipate impact velocity to be under 2400-2600fps. I think that above that range the bonded / monolithic's do their best work, but at lower speeds, the risk of them not opening reliably becomes a concern.

If I had to hunt with only one bullet at both high and low impact velocities it would have to be the partition. It reliably delivers the best of both worlds.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:24 AM
Silver Member

any kill whit accubonds ? good initial expanding an retained energy in a wide range of vel.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:56 AM

Hope your data isn't too damning: I just bought 5 boxes of Barnes/Black Hills Gold 168gr TSX in 308 for elk this Oct, and I ain't buying more.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:32 AM
Gold Member

I am shooting Barnes and 2 antelope, 1 elk, 3 bears and a wolf later no complaints
Old 06-16-2011, 07:43 AM
Bronze Member

It may also be said that the more common use of performance bullets like Barnes, the Accubond, etc, and their performance in standard calibers, has led to the sales push of magnums.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Silver Member

I didn't exactly understand what was being said. My group and I have definately gone back to the old school bullets such as Game King and Hornady rnsp and etc. We use these bullets for generally unknown conditions that can range anywhere from 5yd to 500yd shots. When expected range differences are different we use an appropriate bullet construction for the anticipated velocities at the expected yardages. It is common to have 2 different bullets and weights while hunting with long Range Rifles, a very heavily constructed bullet for very short ranges where accuracy is not that important and a lightly constructed bullet for long range. I wonder what a blood trail looks like ( joke ), Wet brush and heavy rains quickly eliminate all blood trail. Our animals need to fall where they stood. Make your bullet choices a good choice - there are no magic bullets only magic moments.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:08 PM

I got the TSX thinking I would likely hit my elk in a bone, and wanted it to keep on plowing, since .308 isn't really a monster-killer. Is all of that info to suggest I'd be better off returning to a bonded core style next year, like the old Core-Lokts?