Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

.35 Whelen

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 295
.35 Whelen

The .35 Whelen seems like a pretty good all around cartridge. I wonder how it holds up at long range, say 800 - 1200 yards?
__________________
Glock Certified Armorer
GSSF Member
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,391
Re: .35 Whelen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike6158 View Post
The .35 Whelen seems like a pretty good all around cartridge. I wonder how it holds up at long range, say 800 - 1200 yards?
I think the Whelen is much better served as a short to medium range elk, moose, or?? weapon. One of the downsides to the 35 is bullet selection which would limit the long range capability IMO......Rich
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 295
Re: .35 Whelen

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
I think the Whelen is much better served as a short to medium range elk, moose, or?? weapon. One of the downsides to the 35 is bullet selection which would limit the long range capability IMO......Rich
Probably so... I loaded some 250gr bullets for a friend and they look kind of huge in the 30-06 case
__________________
Glock Certified Armorer
GSSF Member
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,391
Re: .35 Whelen

Here is a good example of why I think long range hunting is out for the Whelen. A 225 grain Sierra Gameking with a b.c. of around .380 and a muzzle velocity of 2500' at only 800 yards would have a remaining velocity of under 1200'/sec. and just over 700 ft. lbs. energy. The bullets would not expand and energy is quite low.......Rich
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 295
Re: .35 Whelen

I'll stick with my .338 Edge for long range just for that reason. The .35 Whelen has it's purpose. I think it would be a good brush gun at 200 and less. I've read a few articles that said it was good for lions and tigers but we don't get any of those down here
__________________
Glock Certified Armorer
GSSF Member
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-22-2012, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,391
Re: .35 Whelen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike6158 View Post
I'll stick with my .338 Edge for long range just for that reason. The .35 Whelen has it's purpose. I think it would be a good brush gun at 200 and less. I've read a few articles that said it was good for lions and tigers but we don't get any of those down here
Unless they sneak accross the border
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-27-2012, 12:07 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: washington state
Posts: 125
Re: .35 Whelen

I consider my Whelen a 300 yard elk rifle, still has lots of energy and a high back hold. A great medium range elk caliber. Really puts out the energy up close. !!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: .35 Whelen
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
35 Whelen etisll40 Gunsmithing 3 01-12-2012 06:52 AM
400 Whelen houndsnmules Gunsmithing 1 08-05-2011 05:49 PM
RMR 35 Whelen gun_rat82 Gun Photos 3 10-19-2008 07:18 AM
35 whelen jethro Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 0 08-31-2004 01:07 PM
FS: 35 Whelen bearclaw46 Guns For Sale 0 03-08-2004 04:12 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC