Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

338 WinMag to 338 RUM?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 06:57 PM
Silver Member

338 WinMag to 338 RUM?

I am wondering how hard would it be to convert say a Model 700 from a 338 Windbag to a 338 RUM or 338 Lapua. I am thinking making it a RUM would be pretty easy for a smith. The Lapua would require the bolt face being opened up and maybe an extractor?
Old 01-14-2013, 08:26 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 338 WinMag to 338 RUM?

The bolt faces would be the only real problem as well as could the stock handle the extra recoil....My only question would be why?? I wonder if any animal would notice the extra few hundred feet per second difference in their lung and heart tissue. Why don't you just take the gunsmith's money and buy yourself a new 700 chamber in 338 um or one of the savage 338 lapua's.. I would think before I jumped at this change.. just my opinion
Old 01-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

I'm with Frank on this. Plus remember a m700 rum action has a bit wider action rails than the reg. ones, so machining costs go up a good bit. If You really want to step up a bit in vel. a 340 wby is your best option. It'll only do 100-200 fps more depending on pill weight, so even that is rather questionable.
I contemplated a re-chambering on my #1 in 338 win for a few years, but at 2900 fps on a 225 already, I'd have to step up to a pretty big 338 to net much more. If I had my heart set on 250 grain+ bullets, I might think differently, but I have a 375h@h for that.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Gold Member

I converted a Beretta Mato 338 win mag to a 338 RUM. However is has a long magazine at 3.685"

Here are pics of the 2 cases

So the case is .26" longer to start with. If your magazine is only 3.4" long like some of the win mag magazines are then you will not be able to rechamber to the 338 RUM and shoot any bullet with a pointed nose.

In my magazine I still have to seat the bullets almost to the ogive in order to fit my magazine at 3.685"

For instance here is a pic of a 225 gr TTSX and notice how it is seated all the way to the last cannelure
Old 01-14-2013, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

you can do it, or I should say a smith can do it. The feed rails need to be widened, but thats OK because you'll want a Wyatts outdoor extended box and follower (like $70) that needs some machining to fit (4.00" OAL possible).
Bolt head opened up and barrel rechambered (may as well get it blueprinted and lapped while the tube is off).
Since you are spending the money, get a new tube too.
This would of course be for a .338 RUM, the Lapua is a little too Fat for the M700 action.

I would do it if I had a 338 WIN simply because I find the round pretty useless for how I hunt. It would sit in my safe all the time, until I new I was bush wackin.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:11 AM
Silver Member

I would buy a 338 RUM in a hearts beat but cant find one. It appears Rem quit chambering it as far as I can tell. I looked on there site and the guns it lists have all been discontinued. I would love to get a Lapua but it seams anything that has that name attached to it is twice as much. My main goal with this new gun is get a out to 600 yard monster that will hit like the hammer of Thor for Elk hunting that shoots rather flat. Here is the kicker, I want a Thumbhole stock. I have bought a Blackhawk Axiom UL stock and put it on my daughters M700 in .243. I love the way this stock feels. It is offered for M700 BDL Long and Short actions as well as Weatherby Vanguard. Now I have considered the .300 WBY in the Vanguard stainless but the main thing I don't like is the 24" bbl. So I have looked at the Mark V which I could get in any caliber and mount it in Stocky's thumbhole laminate. Overall, the Mark V option with a 338-378 would be the ultimate. It would however push beyond the budget I have right now.

I am looking for something with more punch than my STW which is no small feat. I have noticed that when shooting BIG bull elk that my STW isnt doing quite as good as I would like. Pluss I cannot restock my gun to a thumbhole. Nor would I use my STW in Alaska or Canada on some hunts I plan to do in the future due to the threat of big bears. So I will keep my STW as a back up rifle and the one I would use on Antelope and deer.

.338 Win mags are easy to find but I honestly hate them. I don't really know why but I do. I think I just am more of a velocity hound and they don't deliver the velocities I would be ok with (thus why I dont like the 24" bbl on the .300 WBY Vanguard.)
Old 01-15-2013, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member

I really don't get why 100-200 fps deficit to the bigger 338's suddenly makes a 338 win useless. The only kill I have on mine was at over 500 yards on a mule deer. The thing just flopped over dead. I usually use one of my 7's or my 300 win so the 338 doesn't get out much.

Twas having a hard time looking at the rem site today; very slow and hung up more than a few times. I see they are playing the discontinue everything and throw out cheap crap for us to buy game again.