Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

338 ultra XCR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 338 ultra XCR

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
Thanks, I owned a Savage Lapau briefly when I took it in on a trade, did not think much of it and traded it off for a factory Rem SS 270 Winchester and Leupold scope that shoots under a 1/2" now that it's in a McMillan stock.
I did see a 7mm Ultra Sendaro SS for 750 at another gun shop looked pretty clean.
You're about maybe the 2nd person I've heard that wasn't happy with their Savage in recent years. I haven't owned one yet but it is probably the most popular out of the box factory rifle on this site.

With the Remmy's it seems like sometimes you get a good one and sometimes not. A bit of a gamble. I'm more of a Howa/Vanguard kinda guy and buy used ones from gunshows etc just for the actions and then put custom barrels and good stocks on them. I've gotten them as low as $200. A custom barrel runs about $350 and a B&C medalist about $250 and smithing about another $600 for a basic no thrills custom rifle.

Good luck with your XCR if you get it and I have to agree with highridge that the difference in cost vs the SPS is basically the finish if that's important to you?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Gold Member

Re: 338 ultra XCR

The Savage 338 Lapau wasn't really a bad rifle but just wasn't me as far as that huge magazine hanging down and in the way.