Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

338 ultra XCR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member
Re: 338 ultra XCR

Originally Posted by Truc View Post
Thanks, I owned a Savage Lapau briefly when I took it in on a trade, did not think much of it and traded it off for a factory Rem SS 270 Winchester and Leupold scope that shoots under a 1/2" now that it's in a McMillan stock.
I did see a 7mm Ultra Sendaro SS for 750 at another gun shop looked pretty clean.
You're about maybe the 2nd person I've heard that wasn't happy with their Savage in recent years. I haven't owned one yet but it is probably the most popular out of the box factory rifle on this site.

With the Remmy's it seems like sometimes you get a good one and sometimes not. A bit of a gamble. I'm more of a Howa/Vanguard kinda guy and buy used ones from gunshows etc just for the actions and then put custom barrels and good stocks on them. I've gotten them as low as $200. A custom barrel runs about $350 and a B&C medalist about $250 and smithing about another $600 for a basic no thrills custom rifle.

Good luck with your XCR if you get it and I have to agree with highridge that the difference in cost vs the SPS is basically the finish if that's important to you?
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams

Unread 02-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Gold Member
Re: 338 ultra XCR

The Savage 338 Lapau wasn't really a bad rifle but just wasn't me as far as that huge magazine hanging down and in the way.