Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

338 ultra XCR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Gold Member

338 ultra XCR

Just wondering if a new or like new Remington 338 Ultra mag XCR is worth $800, looks to be unfired in Blued finish. I could see the tell tale signs of the XCR treatment at the muzzle
Old 02-12-2013, 04:20 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 338 ultra XCR

Personally, I would not buy a new Remington for a new Remington price other than maybe a Sendero. I have 2 Senderos which I purchased used for good prices and I am very happy with them. They have been LR "learning" rifles for me.

One guy will say Remmy's are the greatest and another guy will say something different. Too much inconsistency for me.

IMO, the only thing worth keeping on an XCR is the action which you can buy used for a lot less.

If you want a good off the shelf 338, I would check into a Savage 338 Lapua. Both the rifle and the brass are superior.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-12-2013, 04:39 AM
Gold Member

Thanks, I owned a Savage Lapau briefly when I took it in on a trade, did not think much of it and traded it off for a factory Rem SS 270 Winchester and Leupold scope that shoots under a 1/2" now that it's in a McMillan stock.
I did see a 7mm Ultra Sendaro SS for 750 at another gun shop looked pretty clean.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

I have a .338 RUM in the XCR 1 model and it shoots really great. Its been glass bedded and thats it. The factory stock is as stiff as an injection molded stock gets.
I originally bought it with the plan to re-barrel in a year or two, but it shoots most bullets very well with little load development. The down side is it heats up really fast.

I think that most bad reviews from remington come from people that buy the sps models and hope to make them drive tacks. They are the bottom of the remington heap and they shoot like it (although I bought a .243 thats a solid 3/4 MOA).

All that bing said, I wouldnt pay $800 for a used one. New, Yes. but not used.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Gold Member

There is no difference between a SPS and XCR except for the finish. Same action ,same barrels. The SPS's just has a rough finish and XCR's and older BDL's a much smoother finish. They both have the same accuracy potential.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Silver Member

You can find the XCRII in 338 RUM new for $799 on Guns America. Unless you can tell it has about a box of shells through it, I wouldn't pay more than about $550 for a used Remmy unless I can put it on a bench and it shoots sub MOA right then and there.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:21 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako7STW View Post
You can find the XCRII in 338 RUM new for $799 on Guns America. Unless you can tell it has about a box of shells through it, I wouldn't pay more than about $550 for a used Remmy unless I can put it on a bench and it shoots sub MOA right then and there.
You signature is absolute truth.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V