Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

338 Ultra Mag Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 08:12 PM
Silver Member

Re: 338 Ultra Mag Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
DT,

You're doing the 338 RUM a large disservice. Shooting those itty bitty bullets simply seems wrong. Not ranting or flaming just saying. Considering white tails are the quarry I guess that's ok.

H-1000 and Retumbo seem at the moment to be extinct. W/the 300 Bergers a case full of 50 BMG, which seems plentiful works really well. You might consider it for the 250 offerings.

Have fun and don't take any crap from folks like me.
Point takin! I can get plenty of 50 bmg an have considerd it. I have no interest in the 300's. nothing against them, just my choice not to go over 250 grn! Like I said, my eyes just anit what they was. I've always liked the 338, just not gonna go long like a lot of the shooters on here! I'm not as confident or as good as a lot of these guys are!!! Hats off to all of the long range guys!!! That being said, I just want to get a very good, accurate load for this thing an feel comfortable with it!!! Thanks for the info though!!

DT
Old 01-28-2014, 09:55 PM
Silver Member

I shoot the 265 lrx with 7828ssc. Excellent accuracy and you can kill anything with it. I have shot whitetails, mule deer, and elk. Shot a pig or two with it as well. Longest kill was 880 on a mule deer. Dropped it dead as a stone. If you can, try and stay away from them little pills. They tend to be harder to dial in, plus the 338 rum can and will shoot long distance with a heavier pill. Don't limit yourself to 500-600 yards if you don't have too.

Good luck with your gun. The whole RUM family is wonderful.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublezranch View Post
I shoot the 265 lrx with 7828ssc. Excellent accuracy and you can kill anything with it. I have shot whitetails, mule deer, and elk. Shot a pig or two with it as well. Longest kill was 880 on a mule deer. Dropped it dead as a stone. If you can, try and stay away from them little pills. They tend to be harder to dial in, plus the 338 rum can and will shoot long distance with a heavier pill. Don't limit yourself to 500-600 yards if you don't have too.

Good luck with your gun. The whole RUM family is wonderful.
Got to agree!! The whole RUM family is a great family to belong too!! Point takin about the small pills. In time I might reconceder the goin long thing, just got to work up to it!! Thanks again for the info!
Old 01-29-2014, 02:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackaj View Post
Wow 98 grains of H1000! Be very careful with that load.. Every gun is different but I shoot the 250 berger elite hunters at 2900fps with 215's and 93 grains of H1000, I got some serious pressure signs with 94.5 grains, stuck bolt and deep extractor mark.
I've been hearing that the burn rate for H1000 has changed so anyone using old data should start low.
Starting low is always a good idea. 98 was the upper limit in the Hodgdon book at one time. I have heard the H-1000 has changed also. I have no recent lots, and will start over and work up should I go that way again. Thanks
Old 01-29-2014, 03:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
DT,
You're doing the 338 RUM a large disservice. Shooting those itty bitty bullets simply seems wrong. Not ranting or flaming just saying. Considering white tails are the quarry I guess that's ok.

H-1000 and Retumbo seem at the moment to be extinct. W/the 300 Bergers a case full of 50 BMG, which seems plentiful works really well. You might consider it for the 250 offerings.

Have fun and don't take any crap from folks like me.
The last MRI of my neck "degenerative" is the word that jumped off the page for me. Recoil seems to aggravate things. The 180's allow me to play more with this rifle. It wasn't built heavy, and I'm currently adding about 2lbs in stock and optics to manage a bit better. If I had to do it over I'd probably have went .300 H&H. A lot of facts that went into putting this rifle together changed before I ever got my hands on it. Like I said small deer and antelope. The 250's if it gets bigger or farther. It is all about having fun. Right now for me the smaller bullets are more fun. No crap, rant, or flaming perceived. Just a straightforward legitimate question.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
The last MRI of my neck "degenerative" is the word that jumped off the page for me. Recoil seems to aggravate things. .

Might wanna check out JE Custom's brake. Video was impressive to me.

Just saying. . .
Old 01-29-2014, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Might wanna check out JE Custom's brake. Video was impressive to me.

Just saying. . .
I've been following that, back of my mind for next winter downtime. I haven't been totally swept off my feet by the 2 Vais brakes I've had.