Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

338 thunder project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 338 thunder project

Thanks guys. Sorry for the late reply. I've been out scouting for critters the last little while.

Jimm,
I have about 600 rounds down the barrel now and I have indeed looked at it with a borescope at about 550. It has never been abused (fired hot) and has been cleaned religiously every 30-40 rounds and it shows just a tiny bit of dry lakebed look. Nowhere near the point of being hard to clean (still 3 patches of Coppermelt to be clean) or degrading the ballistic coefficient. Comparing it to the Moag which fires the same amount of powder although a heavier bullet, I predict the thunder will last at least 150% longer than the Moag did. The 338 lapua improved burned and I mean <font color="red"> burned </font> the first three inches of barrel within 400 rounds!!!! It has since been cut off and rechambered but I don't have much hope for it. 95 grains of powder down ANY hole is not going to be easy on a barrel but if it stays cool like the ABS barrel does, you can increase barrel life substantially.

In comparison, my 6br improved barrel has about 2300 rounds through it now and looks about the same as the thunder. It should go another 2000 rounds before noticeable bc degredation sets in.

Bottom line: Any gun that I build from now on that is a known barrel burner will have an ABS barrel on it and maybe even the ones that are easy on barrels will get one too!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

The Thunder just got a new stock. It is a Mcmillan HTG general purpose in 70% medium green, 15% white, 15% black. It replaces the Lazzeroni sporter which had to much camber or "toe-in" to be shot comfortably and was damn hard to keep level. It was also impossible for a right handed guy to shoot and too many "righties" needed to pull this trigger!

Since ordering the first stock, it has been a year to the week to get this replacement stock! I got "two more week" ed to death! In fact, I got that response for over two months! But when this HTG finally came, it was done very well and inletted perfectly to my specs.

I have a friend who ordered the Lazzeroni sporter about 5 days before I ordered the HTG and his stock came straight with no camber. Apparently, I was not the only fellow who complained about the design and they changed it right after I made the re-order call. Who knows? They won't tell you the customer a straight story.

Anyhow, here is the new color:

Pull it
Dump it

Old 08-11-2006, 10:45 AM
Gold Member

GG could you explain what was wrong with the Lazz stock again? If you recall I was going to build one of my projects in that stock so I'm really interested.. But I didn't understand what you were saying..Sorry. I'm slow. Thanks again GG

By the way the new stock and rifle Look awesome!
Old 08-13-2006, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

The Lazzeroni stock I recieved had the advertised "cast-off" but it also had a ton of unadvertised "camber" or toe in making it impossible to feel right while still having the scope level say the scope was not canted. It also had about an extra pound in that huge rollover cheekpiece that was not supposed to be that heavy. The camber also made the thing torque under recoil right off the right hand side of the bags. It was not a good design. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it