Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

338 thunder project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2005, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member

338 thunder project

Roy,

I have taken the 338 ultra mag and reduced the case taper from something like .027" on the standard to .012" and made the reamer .547" wide in the web area to give about .002" clearance as the web on the brass measures .545. This should totally eliminate the "belly-out" look that drive me crazy. It doesn't really hurt anything, it is just unsightly.

Then I gave the shoulder a 40 degree angle to put the hottest part of the expanding gases into the side of the opposing neck wall instead of into the throat. Brass is expendable, barrel steel not. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

THen I made the neck dimension .367 which gives me .013" neck wall thickness after turning the high side off the brass and it will run a good neck/chamber clearance.

Then 7mmrhb and I squared the case heads and took that new measurement into account but it made insignificant difference.

I then had the reamer throated so the 250 grain Lapua Scenar could be seated to fit the Rem box magazine and cycle well. I really lucked out here because as it turned out, the 225 grain Accubonds have nearly identical ogives and shapes so if the Scenars don't work on phone books like I hope, I can switch right over to the Accubonds without any trouble. I know they work! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

OK, then I ordered a drop in Mcmillan Lazzeroni sporter stock in marble finish and had them inlet for a larger size barrel. THen I got on the horn to Mike Degerness (very cool guy by the way, I highly recommend talking to him)at Advanced Barrel Systems and had him order a Rock 5r 338 1-10" 27" blank. He is then going to wrap it in his custom heat transfering carbon fiber blend and attach his titanium muzzle brake which weighs in at something like 3 ounces. He will start the wrap an extra inch ahead of normal in front of the recoil lug so I will be able to set the barrel back and rechamber several times if need be.

Dies are being made by a machinist friend of mine who uses a single point boring method to make the necessary "squeeze" in the body for a hunting rifle. He will also counterbore the top half so Redding bushings can be utilized to size the neck. Very crafty this guy is I tell you!

Then I have a Holland pinned recoil lug ordered so it can be switch-barreled for the .284 wildcat my uncle just had Kirby do. I also have a Sako extractor kit, a Holland bolt handle, and a Jewell trigger on it's way for it.

Kirby is going to assemble it all to my Rem 700 action he has already been shipped.

Riding atop this beast will of course be a Leupold long range 6.5-20x50 sitting in Burris signature rings with the 10 minute inserts installed for 1500 yard plus elk hunting.

If my calculations are correct, a stiff dose of 95 grains of Rl25 should propel the 250 grain Lapua bullet at 3100-3200 and about 92-95 grains of RL22 should move the 225 accubonds at 3300-3400 hopefully. This beast should be capable of 5200 ft-lbs of muzzle energy and have enough umphh to break the shoulder blade of an elk at around 1 mile plus.
Have to wait and see what accuracy will be. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] It might not shoot good enough to kill elk at 100 yards if my luck holds out. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Anyway, it should be interesting.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:24 PM
Gold Member

Re: 338 thunder project

goodgrouper,

Should be an interesting project! Sounds like what you have done is "AI" the 338 RUM case. I have a M700 LSS in 338 RUM and I love it. I killed a black bear with it this fall using the 210 gr PT at 3200 fps. Bang flop.
Good luck with the 338 Thunder project.

Regards,

JD338
Old 10-22-2005, 07:25 PM

hmmm.. I question this...

1 mile is what 1760 yards. You do all this work to a 338 RUM case and then choose a morginal bullet for Elk at that distance. Yes the AB's are good bullets but by your numbers and my calculations... you only have..

1256 fps and 775 ft. lbs at 1750 yards...and loosing everything realativly fast because at 1700 yards you were at 1282 fps and 822 ft. lbs.

I seriously doubt your gonna get 3200-3300 from 92-95 grs of powder but maybe with another 3" of barrel.

Why wouldn't you shoot the 300 gr SMK.. at 2750 fps? You then have at least 1175 ft lbs of energy at 1750 yards...that is more suitable for Elk.

Now I am not sure how much Elk hunting you've done but you are boarder line whitetail killing energy. Even the 250 gr Lapua Bullet has better energy at that distance. And you are choosing a powder that is temp sensitive so your load work up at 60* will more than likely not give you the same velocity at 30* and will be much slower and this creates even more problems...

I'd like to see you reconsider your choices. As I said given your numbers ( with some error due to whatever elevations you are hunting) ( I inputed 5000 asl ) .. you are marginal to say the least. Surely the Majestic Elk deserve a bit more respect than whitetail killing energy...

Back to the drawing board???
Old 10-22-2005, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks. Glad to hear the 210's worked.
I kinda did the same thing to the 338 ultra that Shehane did to the 6.5-.284.
Pull it
Dump it

Old 10-22-2005, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

Uhh, no. The numbers I calculated were for the 250 grain Lapua bullet. It will kill at 1 mile if the construction is good. I will test it first rest assured.

Pouncing again?
Ric, we agreed to not communicate with each other anymore. I was serious about it, please leave me alone and respect our agreement. THank you politely.
Pull it
Dump it

Old 10-22-2005, 08:07 PM

Chill there Dude...
I am not seeking you out, but , remember. I do assist hunters every year. I am a licensed guide in Wyo. I do guide individuals that seek out lr shots. I do make sure they have the right equipment and / or required capabilites to quickly and efficiently kill their intened target!!!
I simply am thinking of doing a 338 project myself and have done my own research. I saw your post and was interested in what project you were doing. After reading your data I recognized some immediate red flags!!! You sir, are marginal with what you are doing and the bullets you choose. If it were anyone else on the board I would have raised the same issues!
You cannot expect me to avoid you all together when there are similar issue we deal with. Relax a bit there GG. If someone else can contribute contradictory data to what I have said and helps me ( or you ) see there is fault or correctness/incorrectness in what you are doing. Then we both win by learning something.

Again I simply identified a few red flags from what my data shows to what you have posted.

that is it, nothing more nothing less. Wasn't you who said we are here to learn?
Old 10-22-2005, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

GG
If the scenar will hang together, it has great numbers way past a mile. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't run all of those calculations earlier. It will be interesting to see how things work out.