Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

338 Seating Ring Question??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 338 Seating Ring Question??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodmar10 View Post
I meant what type sizing die are you using. The resized neck of your brass must be very tight on the bullet when you seat it to make a ring like that. With a bushing type sizing die you can buy the correct bushing to put the correct pressure on the bullet when it's seated.
I use Redding bushing dies for all my bolt guns and they are fantastic. For my autos and levers, I use standard FL dies. The way mine work (Hornady and Redding) is that they over compress the neck, but then a sizing button on the decap pin re-expands them to bullet diameter minus about 2 thou on the upstroke. This prevents seating into an overly compressed neck like you are talking about. I kind of assumed they were all this way??

Unless he is seating a 338 pill into a 300WM case
Old 02-25-2013, 11:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintH8R View Post
I use Redding bushing dies for all my bolt guns and they are fantastic. For my autos and levers, I use standard FL dies. The way mine work (Hornady and Redding) is that they over compress the neck, but then a sizing button on the decap pin re-expands them to bullet diameter minus about 2 thou on the upstroke. This prevents seating into an overly compressed neck like you are talking about. I kind of assumed they were all this way??
Well you know what they say about assume. If they all worked that way we wouldn't be paying $250 for Redding bushing dies. My bushing dies are sized like yours, .002" under loaded ammo diameter. Works great in a bolt gun, but try that in an auto-loader and you could end up with problems because the bullet pushed back into the brass when it slammed into the feed ramp on the way into the chamber. That's why military rounds have crimped bullets.

Check some of your regular full length dies. I've seen some that leave the neck .005"-.008" smaller than bullet diameter, even with the expander ball in the die. That's also why we use VLD case neck reamers, to make the bullets easier to seat without deforming the bullet or case neck.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
That would make a difference !!!

I would suggest using a drop tube for your load. This will help to reduce the compression of the powder.

I like and use one that is 30 to 36" long.

J E CUSTOM
Thanks I will try that, that might be all it will take to reduce some of the seating presure

KR