Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

338 RUM Data

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 02:58 AM
Gold Member

Re: 338 RUM Data

It was a simple question asking about your experience with the CE bullets as I have several builds in progress that I intend to use CE bullet for. It might have been off topic but you brought up the use of 225gr CE bullets. It's not the first time a thread has gone off topic and I'm sure you have taken it there a few times yourself.

The friend of mine that test the 7mm 160gr bullets I have known for over 20 years and would trust what he says as the truth over anyone on here and over almost anyone else for that matter. He and I learned to build our own guns 20 years ago and he has built more guns for his own personal use then anyone I know. He built a .300wsm, .30BR, 6.5-284, .308win. and a .338 Lapua in the last month and well over 300 since I've known him. That is personal use. He is not a gunsmith by profession. He is retired and tinkers more then anyone I know. So while you may discredit what he has to say I don't. Needless to say I don't need to test the bullets myself if he has. I'll test the ones that interest me. He is actually a member on here but doesn't hardly post because he doesn't care to.

It's pretty easy to see the bullets in the pictures are CE if you actually look. In fact I talked to CE today and they said they had planned to look at the smaller caliber bullets because the hollow points are shallower than the larger caliber bullets. They also assured me that the larger bullets didn't perform like the ones I pictured which was refreshing because like I said I have several builds in progress which I intend to try CE first in.

(Even further off topic) I killed a elk last year at 400yds with .30 cal. 210 Matrix VLD's and loaded some for another friend that killed a bull at 612yds with them as well. Both elk died but his required a second shot. One of his bullets lost most of it's core and was in the liver only about half way through the body. The other one blew right through both lungs. My elk was shot through both lungs and had about 1 1/2" exit hole. It took a few seconds to die and the lungs were plumb full of blood. The same friend that tested the CE shot the 210 Matrix bullets out of a .308 at 100yds (which is about the same impact velocity as my rifle has at 400yds). One bullet was recovered and never opened. His words were "if it wasn't for the rifling marks you could reload it and shoot it again". The second bullet blew open and lost it's core with poor penetration just like the bullet we found in the elk's liver. Information like that is helpful to know because it could cost someone a animal. Had he not tested them I would of. I usually give him phone books to test bullets as I don't have near the time to play with stuff he does. Even though they are extremely accurate in my rifle, it has shot sub 1" at 550yds, I get to look for another hunting bullet. There are a lot of people on here that shoot the 165 and 175's in .270's too and their bullets might be doing the same thing but no one has tested it or they have and no one has reported their results.

The bottom line is helpful information often times comes in threads that have veered off topic and should be welcome wherever it comes. Obviously the CE 160gr 7mm bullets don't perform like most of the other CE bullets and CE has acknowledged that. CE might not have known it was such a issue without my post ( they have seen this thread). I would consider that helpful info if I was CE and hopefully they correct the problem immediately. I know if there was a issue with one of the products I make that I didn't catch I'd want to know about it before it caused a issue for a customer.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCTD View Post
It was a simple question asking about your experience with the CE bullets as I have several builds in progress that I intend to use CE bullet for. It might have been off topic but you brought up the use of 225gr CE bullets. It's not the first time a thread has gone off topic and I'm sure you have taken it there a few times yourself.

The friend of mine that test the 7mm 160gr bullets I have known for over 20 years and would trust what he says as the truth over anyone on here and over almost anyone else for that matter. He and I learned to build our own guns 20 years ago and he has built more guns for his own personal use then anyone I know. He built a .300wsm, .30BR, 6.5-284, .308win. and a .338 Lapua in the last month and well over 300 since I've known him. That is personal use. He is not a gunsmith by profession. He is retired and tinkers more then anyone I know. So while you may discredit what he has to say I don't. Needless to say I don't need to test the bullets myself if he has. I'll test the ones that interest me. He is actually a member on here but doesn't hardly post because he doesn't care to.

It's pretty easy to see the bullets in the pictures are CE if you actually look. In fact I talked to CE today and they said they had planned to look at the smaller caliber bullets because the hollow points are shallower than the larger caliber bullets. They also assured me that the larger bullets didn't perform like the ones I pictured which was refreshing because like I said I have several builds in progress which I intend to try CE first in.

(Even further off topic) I killed a elk last year at 400yds with .30 cal. 210 Matrix VLD's and loaded some for another friend that killed a bull at 612yds with them as well. Both elk died but his required a second shot. One of his bullets lost most of it's core and was in the liver only about half way through the body. The other one blew right through both lungs. My elk was shot through both lungs and had about 1 1/2" exit hole. It took a few seconds to die and the lungs were plumb full of blood. The same friend that tested the CE shot the 210 Matrix bullets out of a .308 at 100yds (which is about the same impact velocity as my rifle has at 400yds). One bullet was recovered and never opened. His words were "if it wasn't for the rifling marks you could reload it and shoot it again". The second bullet blew open and lost it's core with poor penetration just like the bullet we found in the elk's liver. Information like that is helpful to know because it could cost someone a animal. Had he not tested them I would of. I usually give him phone books to test bullets as I don't have near the time to play with stuff he does. Even though they are extremely accurate in my rifle, it has shot sub 1" at 550yds, I get to look for another hunting bullet. There are a lot of people on here that shoot the 165 and 175's in .270's too and their bullets might be doing the same thing but no one has tested it or they have and no one has reported their results.

The bottom line is helpful information often times comes in threads that have veered off topic and should be welcome wherever it comes. Obviously the CE 160gr 7mm bullets don't perform like most of the other CE bullets and CE has acknowledged that. CE might not have known it was such a issue without my post ( they have seen this thread). I would consider that helpful info if I was CE and hopefully they correct the problem immediately. I know if there was a issue with one of the products I make that I didn't catch I'd want to know about it before it caused a issue for a customer.
I am going to jump in here even though I am not the OP and give my thoughts on this as it is somewhat a pet peeve of mine too. IMO, OP's need to take a bit more control of their threads to make sure things stay on task. I understand your point about the validity of the info you shared and again agree with its importance. (I am thinking about trying the CE .264 130 grain and this will cause me to do some more research on terminal performance. Thanks for that!) The problem though, that hijacking causes is 2 fold ( and yes I have done it too so I need to work on it as well and I guess in some ways am doing it now!)

There is value in trying not to hijack a thread. It is common practice to try to limit this on any chat forum I have been on, especially when the original poster asks for his thread to be kept on on track about the main topic only.

The first issue is that guys looking for info on 338 load data have to take time reading all kinds of posts that don't pertain to the info they need or are looking for.

The second issue is that guys that may be doing a search for CE performance in a 7mm have very little chance of this thread coming up because they wouldn't think to search for 338 load data in an attempt to find info on 7mm CE bullet performance. I hope you can see the limiting nature to placing valuable info inside a thread where it isn't applicable.

To summarize: I am not trying to ruffle any feathers, we all need to work on this, respecting the OP's wishes should be important as it is his thread, and doing this will help all of us in the long run IMO.

Scot E.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

Idahoctd, Judging from the exit holes in the animals I have seen taken with the 30 cal and 338 cal CE bullets my opinion is they expanded quite a bit more than the ones in your picture. I have yet to recover a bullet so I have no idea what they look like after passing through an animal. I have only used them for one year and the limited number of animals me and my friends shot with them are certainly not enough for a statistical opinion however so far no animal has been lost and the kills were clean on animls from antelope to elk size. I report everything good or bad and own no stock in any hunting company that I am aware of however I am not certain who all my investors hold as stock holdings. I know CE makes tactical non-expanding bullets and that is what the bullet in your picture looks like to me. If that is a hunting bullet it needs to be improved upon concerning expansion.

Now lets get back on topic. I will be glad to contribute to any CE thread you want to start.