Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

338 RUM Data

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 08:44 AM
Gold Member

Re: 338 RUM Data

Wow, not what a guy likes to see. I want a devastating wound channel.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Silver Member

If I remember right, LTLR said none of the animals he shot with these dropped in there tracks. This is a good explination as to why.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
I use the D62 .64 bc 225 grain cutting edge. I single load them for my long range loads and have some seated deeper that will feed through the magazine for quick shots if needed. I don't have my OAL info with me but the D62 bullet will not come near feeding in a standard magazine. It is nearly as long as a 300 SMK. The CE bullets I have tested in several calibers and cartridges all would shoot well with the seal tight band seated into the case neck. Some even shoot better that way. Just depends on the rifle.

OAL 3.94", had it listed in the first post.

THANKS FOR THE INFO..I HAVE BEEN AN ACCUBOND GUY FOR A QUITE SOMETIME..KILLING BIG DEER AND ELK FROM 75YARDS TO 750YARDS...THEY HAVE SERVED ME WELL...JUST LOOKING FOR THE HIGHEST BC IN A GOOD QUALITY ALL AROUND BULLET..THIN SKIN(DEER) TO BIG BULLS...ARE THESE CUTTING EDGE BULLETS GONNA PERFORM AS WELL AS THE ACCUBOND TERMINALLY..OR DO I HAVE TO SQUARE THEM UP ON THE SHOULDER...MOST TIMES THOSE BIG MULEY BUCKS DONT GIVE YA THAT..USUALLY THE BIG WHITESPOT LOOKING BACK...THAT IS A GREAT TARGET...BANG FLOP!!!!ARE THESE GONNA BLOW RIGHT THRU PENCILSIZE LIKE THE TTSX IF YA DONT HITEM IN THE SHOULDER...JUST WANT TO USE 1 BULLET OUT TO 1000 YARDS FOR EVERYTHING....WHAT DO YOU THINK...WISHED THEY MADE A BERGER IN 225 DONT CARE TO SHOOT THE 300S..I HAVE SOME, EVEN THE NEW 300 ACCUBONDS...THANKS LTLR..LOOK FORWARD TO RESPONSES..
Old 05-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

Ultramag, The accubond has a good bc in 225 grain weight and is a very accurate bullet. I have seen them have complete catastrophic failure on elk and that is the primary reason I quit shooting them at elk. Complete jacket/core seperation with nothing but very small pieces of jacket and lead recovered from inside the animal. All failures were beyond 400 yards where the velocity should not have been enough to cause that problem.

This thread is 338 RUM Load Data. If anyone has load data with their favorite bullets feel free to list them. I do not want it to get sidetracked into a bullet argument. The 338 RUM is among the best long range heavy hitters available to hunters at an affordable price. People need to be aware of the capabilities of this cartridge whichever bullets you may choose to shoot in it.

Concerning Cutting Edge bullets. I have shot them extensively at targets over the past year and have found them to be the most accurate and precise bullet I have ever shot. They have the highest BC per weight of any bullet I have tried that was an accurate hunting bullet. They have performed extremely well in every rifle I have shot them in. They are not finicky to load for and perform well at a variety of seating depths. I have seen them take quite a few animals from antelope size through elk size with excellent results. None traveled over 50 yards before expiring and in the case of two elk in particular I remember hitting the ground immediately faster than the eye could follow. All kills were complete pass throughs from numerous shot angles so I have not recovered a bullet. The exit holes are similar to the Barnes tsx bullets showing round holes larger than caliber. This shows they are expanding and not coming apart. Also by the round holes it shows they are not tumbling through the animals but driving through.

It is well known that I have tested many cartridges, powders, bullets, various components, optics, rifles, etc, etc, through the years and continue to do so. I report exactly what my results are with each product. I am not sponsored by any company and do not have a conflict of interest with my opinion concerning any company. I tell it excatly how it is with no heresay involved. I have quite an investment each year in time and dollars hunting and try to equip myself on each trip for the best opportunity for success. If I am using a product in the field on a big expensive hunt you can bet I have tested it and feel comfortable using it. I will continue to use a product until something better comes out or I see reason to discontinue it's use. It will not be discontinued from heresay.

The guy who posted the pictures supposedly of a 7mm CE bullet from a friend of yours. If this is important to you I would suggest you test the bullet in question yourself and state exactly which bullet it is and all pertinent data involved with the test. Start a thread titled as such pertaining to your testing. I wish you the best with it and am as interested as anyone on here concerning your results. If you have 338 RUM data you would like to post on here please feel free to do so. The bullet in the picture appears to be a tactical non-expanding bullet or one striking the target at a very slow velocity. I have no idea and neither does anyone else since it is just an unconfirmed picture with words from an unconfirmed scource. I get about a hundred of those type internet hoax emails per day on various subjects that go straight to email trash.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Silver Member

I don't think anyone here is starting a bullet argument. He just simply asked if you shot ce bullets and what your experience with them is. I stated by the looks of the bullets, is the reason the animals don't go right down. Hell, a full metal jacket through the vitals will kill. No sense in getting rough headed, nobody said ce bullets are no good. Sometimes going off topic brings great questions. As far as, unconfirmed sources, most of us typing on this forum don't know each other from a hole in the ground.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
I don't think anyone here is starting a bullet argument. He just simply asked if you shot ce bullets and what your experience with them is. I stated by the looks of the bullets, is the reason the animals don't go right down. Hell, a full metal jacket through the vitals will kill. No sense in getting rough headed, nobody said ce bullets are no good. Sometimes going off topic brings great questions. As far as, unconfirmed sources, most of us typing on this forum don't know each other from a hole in the ground.
Its not unusual to try and keep a thread on subject and it is especially the OP's right to do so. Otherwise things go off the deep end pretty fast and guys searching for specific info end up reading through pages of stuff they care little about.

Like LTLR mentioned that info would be a great start to a new thread.

Scot E.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:54 AM
Platinum Member

franklin, I am not getting hotheaded. I just want to keep this open for a refference to loading the 338 RUM which is a great cartridge. I own no stock in CE and have thousands of bullets on my loading bench from all manufacturers and do not hang my hat on any one brand. I was just asking him to start a thread about the bullets and see where it goes and I will monitor it as much as anyone. I am using the bullets quite a bit now so I am very interested in them and any info he or anyone may come up with that is accurate. I just want to keep this thread open to anyones data with whatever bullet they choose concerning loading the 338 RUM. I am not on here to critisize anyone.