Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

338 RUM or 338 Lapua

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2009, 09:01 AM

338 RUM or 338 Lapua

I am looking at a buying or building a rifle in .338 caliber (I love the BC of some of the bullets in this caliber) and would like to know if there is a big difference between the 338 RUM and the 338 Lapua. Wen looking at the specks in the loading magazines the case capacity and shoulder angle are very close (at least from what I see) I've been told that 338 RUM brass doesn't hold up like the 338 Lapua (If it be Lapua brass or any other brand) I can't really see why that would be. The design of each cartridge is using the non belted design and the angle of the shoulder seams to be good on both at least from my past experience of cases that don't stand up to multiple reloads . If all other things are equal I don't see that much difference in the 2 rnds. The one big thing for me is that you can do a 338 RUM a lot cheaper than a 338 Lapua . I must also ad that I shoot from the South side so actions are also a price factor in this build. I do have the chance on buying a left handed Remington 700 BDL in 338 RUM at a very attractive price (I deal with a person that has access to a place that is clearing there inventory of left handed Remington's in there heavy calibers) My next question is if I would buy this rifle could the 338 RUM be chamber reamed to 338 Lapua or would I have to rebarrel the gun
Thanks in advanced for your help and sorry I made this post so long George
Old 05-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Gold Member

Re: 338 RUM or 338 Lapua

I'm sure you already know this, but just in case you don't, the 338RUM and 338Lapua use a different bolt face so it would be a bit more involved.

Initial cost for the 338LM would be higher. If you're mostly using factory ammo the 338RUM will more than likely have better availability and cost less. If you're a reloader the Lapua brass will cost atleast double but in my opinion, especially compared to what is available for the RUM, it is worth every penny. The Lapua brass is better in pretty much every way. More consistent and has a reloading life 2nd to none. The Lap. brass can be pushed harder longer where as the Rum brass, well not so much.

If you're wanting to use a factory off the shelf rifle and cost is any kind of factor at all I would be shocked if most wouldn't steer you toward the RUM. If you're building a custom the actions for both will pretty much cost the same. If doing a custom is a option there will be alot more to consider.

They both shoot very well so there is no clear winner there.

If cost is ANY factor at all I think the clear winner would be the 338RUM. If not, do LOTS of research and make your choice from there.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

there is a marked difference in quality of Rem brass and lapua brass (and cost) One costs .40 and the other runs close to $2. One lasts 4-5 firings and the other can last up to 50 reloadings or more if you anneal.

Huge controversy on converting Rem 700s to the Lapua. Many gunsmiths will not convert due to safety concerns, yet Rem just made some in Lapua. So you decide what is safe and smart there.

BIG IF I did it, I would not bother trying to convert the rem bolt, I would sell it and buy a Pacific Tool and Guage bolt from Dave Kiff already opened up AND most importantly with the extractor placed where most feel it is safer and more reliable. Cost for PTG bolt and handle fluted is under $200 and you can sell your old bolt. You cannot convert your existing bolt for anywhere close to that. So IMO that is an extremely smart and cost saving step.

Many would recommend rechambering the 338 RUM to the 338 Edge by Shawn Carlock. The Edge seems to be the go to caliber if you are not building a 338 lapua. he can also do the bedding and action work at that time.

BH
Old 05-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

If you end up tending towards building a 338 Lapua and don't mind owning a wildcat, you might as well use one of the Lap Imps out there. Just a thought.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 05-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Gold Member

When I was first going to use a Rem. 700 action for either a Lapua or 338 Edge my smith told me the same thing. Would have to use a different bolt cause he wouldn't open up a stock Rem. bolt to .588. At that point, still thinking I was going to use a donor Rem. 700, I thought 338 Edge. Everything I read about the Edge was good and it had a slight advantage in FPS over the 338LM. Further research showed the only weak link, if you even want to call it that, in the Edge was the brass. At this point, atleast for me, I made a decision to go all in. Dropped the idea of using a Rem. 700 action and went with a BAT and 338 Lapua AI. Brass was much more expensive but 100 cases will last a very long time and I will get close to my 3000fps with a 300SMK or Scenar.

Decide how much you can or want to spend. Research it to death. That, in my opinion, will help you understand what each one is capable of and knowing either of their capabilities will determine the outcome.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
When I was first going to use a Rem. 700 action for either a Lapua or 338 Edge my smith told me the same thing. Would have to use a different bolt cause he wouldn't open up a stock Rem. bolt to .588. At that point, still thinking I was going to use a donor Rem. 700, I thought 338 Edge. Everything I read about the Edge was good and it had a slight advantage in FPS over the 338LM. Further research showed the only weak link, if you even want to call it that, in the Edge was the brass. At this point, atleast for me, I made a decision to go all in. Dropped the idea of using a Rem. 700 action and went with a BAT and 338 Lapua AI. Brass was much more expensive but 100 cases will last a very long time and I will get close to my 3000fps with a 300SMK or Scenar.

Decide how much you can or want to spend. Research it to death. That, in my opinion, will help you understand what each one is capable of and knowing either of their capabilities will determine the outcome.
Yep, went through the same process as you and the OP and finally decided to go 'all in' and am working on getting parts to Kirby for a 338AX build on a 20 moa BAT HRPIC. Tired of messing with Rem brass (why can't a US man. do what Lapua does) and at .80 a case now and all the work you do to them, I don't think there's much economical advantage to the RUM brass over the 338 Lapua. And Kirby is getting 3K with the 300 SMK in 30" barrel. I'm hoping to get the same with the new 300 Berger with the predicted substantially higher .855 bc and built with LR hunting in mind...

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 05-20-2009, 06:05 PM

Thanks guys I will start doing more research (I still have to deal with the left hand bolt but that can be done ) before I make a decision. I have been leaning more to the Lapua but the base price kind of was holding me back. Before I start I'm just going to have to make sure I have enough pennies saved to do this build. I really like the .338 as a caliber for LRH if you can push those nice long BC bullets fast enough they just hold there speed and energy so well.
George