Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

338 performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2004, 06:41 PM
Silver Member

338 performance

I'm in the market for a new rifle for some long range hunting. I was seriously considering having a 7mm ultra mag built but just came across a smokin deal on a remmington 338 win mag for 375 including scope. I was wondering how the 338 performs in the real world of long shots. The gun currently has no brake but will sport one if I decide to go with it. Any feedback on the 338 vs 7mm ultra would be appreciated. I plan on using it for elk out to 650 yds.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:37 PM
Gold Member

Re: 338 performance

The 338 Win would make an exellent hunting rifle for the range you want to shoot.
Crow Mag
Old 11-08-2004, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

Came across the same kind of deal. Kept me from rebarrelling a REM 721 to 338-06 or purchaseing a new BDL in 338 RUM.

Ended up with a left hand BDL w/VariXII 3X9

It was, to me, one of those deals that if passed up I'd loose sleep over for a while.

I am really impressed with it. Its a bit of a thumper on the back end but only just a bit more than an 06. Talk about bullet performance at distances. WOW! Haven't harvested anything yet but I should be able to hit 'em, if I don't get the fever too bad. The bullets I'm picking out of the backstops are something to behold.

You otta see what it does to a 5-gallon bucket of water. Impressive.

Elk opens, for me, Dec 1. I'll let ya know how she does.....
Old 11-25-2004, 06:39 AM

i have a 338 ultra and a serious powerhouse it is. i took it to africa and whatever i hit with it fell as if struck by lightning...the largest animals were kudu and gemsbok...both being tougher than my wife's oven broiled steaks [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] i was shooting 215gr sierras over copious amounts of rl22...super flat and tremendous performance. both were killed at over 300 pushing 400. if you have the resources (took me forever to save enough money)and you dig making long shots...go to the east cape of the RSA. you can definitely stretch the legs on any rifle you have and test your shooting capabilities.

[ 11-25-2004: Message edited by: brad ]
Old 12-21-2004, 12:05 PM

Cowboy: I am confident with my .338 Win Mag out to 350 yards. I think I could go farther with some more practice at shooting out to 400. My rifle groups better with the lighter bullets than with the 250 grain.

I did use it to kill a whitetail doe this year. Federal 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip dropped her like a bag of cement and broke the far side shoulder. But this was at 30 yards! Hardly a test of longrange performance on game, but I practised at 100,200 and 300 yards with this load and it is very accurate in my rifle. I don't think the outcome at 300 yards would have been any different with this doe.

At 325 yards a 200 grain Winchester PowerPoint will go right through a steel farming disc that .308 Winchester bullets just bounce off of at the same range. So I have a lot of confidence in the .338 Win Mag at 325 yards. If it will go through a steel disc, it should penetrate an elk's shoulder. Looking forward to many happy wallops with this gun. Of course the .338 Ultra Mag has even more power--but it also kills the shooter, unless it is a very heavy gun.

You will just have to try shooting yours at 500 and 600 yards and see how confident you can become using your hunting rest setup of making consistent killing hits at that range. I use a graduated scope reticle so I do not have to adjust at longer ranges, I just know what part of the Mil-dot reticle to use at known ranges.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:56 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the input guys. I couldn't pass up the deal on the 338. Mod 70 with scope, dies, 200+ rounds primed brass and a partial box of 225gr honady sst's for $385. I did get to shoot it prior to hunting season but did not get to hunt due to a dislocated shoulder. I will try it later after healed from surgery (next month). I plan on having some smith work done on the gun to accurize it but have to wait till I can get back to work and start earning a paycheck again. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I'll keep you guys posted when it happens - new stock,new barrel,smithed,new scope etc. I'll take before and after pics. In the meantime I'm getting my shopping list together for the parts and dreaming about reaching out there and touching something. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2004, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
I did get to shoot it prior to hunting season but did not get to hunt due to a dislocated shoulder. I will try it later after healed from surgery (next month).

[/ QUOTE ]

Cowboy,
I can here the stand up comic now, "You can tell you're a cowboy from Wyoming if.........."

The way you said that just struck me funny. Especially after my first three shots with a thumper. I didn't a pretty decent rendition of the broken wing crane dance for awhile. Now its piece of cake with an attitude.

Good luck on the healing part. You'll enjoy the rifle. Itsa pretty good cartridge and caliber.