Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

338 Marlin Express-Lever Action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Gold Member

Re: 338 Marlin Express-Lever Action

I hand delivered the MXLR to Brockman's Custom Gunsmithing today. I asked him to try to make it work like a Marlin before Remington got their hands on it.

Weird... I have to take it to a custom gunsmith to bring it up to factory standards.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Bronze Member

I've got a 1968 336RC straight stocked model in 30/30 and looks like it is in excellent condition. It has had a box or two of factory loads through it and no failures.

With reloads there were lots of misfires. The CCI primers were the worst. I've been reloading for 53 years and never had a problem like this. One thing I learned was the rim thickness really varies on 30/30 brass. I have shot reloads in M94's without any problems.

Anyhow I tried all the remedies from Marlinowners.com including a new rear firing pin, spring, and main spring. They were out of the front pins. A little better strikes but still have misfires. The headspace is within specs. I guess a one piece pin is the only way to go, and I'm not sure that will work.

Send it to Remington, uh I don't think so.

Not really trying to change the sbuject, but as far as misfires there seem to be quite a few 336's no matter what the age that have had this problem.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Gold Member

ba19500, Your not changing the subject at all. Thanks for pointing that out.

I too have heard that a one piece pin is more reliable but if you change the fundamental design of the safety features, you could really be asking for trouble in the unlikely event of an accidental discharge. Seems like a good opportunity for the aftermarket people.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba19500 View Post
Anyhow I tried all the remedies from Marlinowners.com including a new rear firing pin, spring, and main spring. They were out of the front pins. A little better strikes but still have misfires. The headspace is within specs. I guess a one piece pin is the only way to go, and I'm not sure that will work.

Send it to Remington, uh I don't think so.

Not really trying to change the sbuject, but as far as misfires there seem to be quite a few 336's no matter what the age that have had this problem.
I notice that when I take a shot, cycle, and lower the hammer and return it to half cock, then cock for the next shot, I almost always get a good primer strike even after a misfire. Something's hanging up.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Bronze Member

Mike,

If there was a liablility problem I don't think they would be in business. If a certain part is left out it would be a problem. Swaney over on Marlinowners tried to make his go off with a one piece pin but couldn't do it.

The pin is freefloating so I suspect it would go off it dropped on the hammer, which isn't likely. Probably noisy too. I don't know of any other solution.

Some of my rounds won't go off at all.

It doesn't look like a reliable system and I am sure there there are lots of 336 owners that would disagree with me.

That's really tough getting two bad ones like that.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Gold Member

I've bumped around over at MarlinOwners before. It's very informative but not everything suggested works. I keep thinking that Freedom Group will have so much money that they'll take Marlin way beyond anyone's wildest expectations. Sorta like those Texas millionaires that make it their personal responsibility to have the best high school football team in the state.

Here's an idea... How about a Freedom Group Rep (decision maker only please) explain it to us.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Platinum Member

Not entirely on subject but have any of you owned or cycled a Henry lever Action? Not the 22 peashooter but the large bore model.

I'm quite taken back by it's looks and thinking about acquiring one....

There has to be some kind of quality control in New York, somewhere.....