Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

338 Marlin Express-Lever Action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Gold Member

Re: 338 Marlin Express-Lever Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
Perhaps we'd have been a lot better off is Marlin had of bought Remington, and finally instuted quality controll in New York
gary
Well said sir.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:42 PM
Gold Member

I called Marlin today for a return shipping label. The Customer Service guy was nice and apologized for me having to deal with this and e-mailed the shipping label same day. He'll never make upper management.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 338 View Post
Well said sir.
you know I have quite a few lever guns and falling blocks, and there are distinct differences in quality controll between them. The Browning 1885's are just beautifull in fuction and finish quality. Every Marlin I own (at least a half dozen) just plain works well. I also have several Winchester 94's, and they do work well, but also feel like they are full of sand. The best lever guns I have are Savage 99's by a long shot, but also a different kind of animal. I probably would call it a toss up between the 1885's and the 99's as to which one I like the best. It almost changes by the day of the month! The Winchesters are fines, but just need some deburring here and there inside. The Marlins are a rung up the ladder. The one lever gun I've always wanted was a Sako (long out of production). Similar in fuction and looks to a 99 or a Winchester 88, always elusive to my hands. (just like the Bernadelli Hemingway in 16 gauge).

gary
Old 10-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Gold Member

I got my first Marlin, a ported 444 Guide Gun mostly as a curiosity. After hunting with it in the backcountry for a week, I was hooked. A rifle has to shoot well. That goes without saying but the rest of the time your carrying it and I have yet to find anything that carries better than these Marlins. I never expected perfection from these gun makers but they've become absolutely brazen about squeezing the last ounce of profitability out of their product at the expense of their customer.

I won't go into detail about the library of quality control issues that went out the door of their plant (Rem/Marlin) but you gotta know it's possible and therefore you do something to prevent it before it happens. Anyway, my 338 MXLR wants to be a shooter but it'll need some professional help. My 338 MX is on it's way back. We'll see. With so many trips from New York to Boise, back and forth again it appears my Marlins are all better traveled than I am. I may even live long enough to see the day I can shoot them.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I got my first Marlin, a ported 444 Guide Gun mostly as a curiosity. After hunting with it in the backcountry for a week, I was hooked. A rifle has to shoot well. That goes without saying but the rest of the time your carrying it and I have yet to find anything that carries better than these Marlins. I never expected perfection from these gun makers but they've become absolutely brazen about squeezing the last ounce of profitability out of their product at the expense of their customer.

I won't go into detail about the library of quality control issues that went out the door of their plant (Rem/Marlin) but you gotta know it's possible and therefore you do something to prevent it before it happens. Anyway, my 338 MXLR wants to be a shooter but it'll need some professional help. My 338 MX is on it's way back. We'll see. With so many trips from New York to Boise, back and forth again it appears my Marlins are all better traveled than I am. I may even live long enough to see the day I can shoot them.
been kinda watching for a real Marlin built guide gun in .444 that's ported. Most are not ported that I've seen (heard they only made the ported ones for two years). Also kinda want one in .356 Winchester, and may just build one off a good donor action
gary
Old 10-18-2012, 08:54 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
been kinda watching for a real Marlin built guide gun in .444 that's ported. Most are not ported that I've seen (heard they only made the ported ones for two years). Also kinda want one in .356 Winchester, and may just build one off a good donor action
gary
I've read a little bit about the ported models. They were popular. I'm not sure why they quit making them but it would be great to see them bring the ported models back. Actually Remington/Marlin has ceased manufacturing many of the big bore center fire lever action rifles in 2012. It's been suggested that after they dumped all their crap rifles on the market and purged their inventory, they stopped making them until they resolved their C.R. (crap rifle) problems. Genius... I'll bet unloading that junk earned somebody a trip to Maui and a set of new golf clubs. I can't even imagine how Hornady feels about developing their Leverevolution ammo and the company that makes rifles that shoots it has sullied it's reputation and sales.

I think, if and when Rem/Mar starts a full line of lever action rifles again, things should be a lot better. It's like when a fast food place kills a bunch of people with E-coli poisoning. A month later, it's the safest place in the world to eat.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I've read a little bit about the ported models. They were popular. I'm not sure why they quit making them but it would be great to see them bring the ported models back. Actually Remington/Marlin has ceased manufacturing many of the big bore center fire lever action rifles in 2012. It's been suggested that after they dumped all their crap rifles on the market and purged their inventory, they stopped making them until they resolved their C.R. (crap rifle) problems. Genius... I'll bet unloading that junk earned somebody a trip to Maui and a set of new golf clubs. I can't even imagine how Hornady feels about developing their Leverevolution ammo and the company that makes rifles that shoots it has sullied it's reputation and sales.

I think, if and when Rem/Mar starts a full line of lever action rifles again, things should be a lot better. It's like when a fast food place kills a bunch of people with E-coli poisoning. A month later, it's the safest place in the world to eat.

I told everybody here about what goes on inside the Remington machine shop awhile back, and a lot of folks laughed at me. So be it! But my source was very well respected in his field of work, and new little about firearms, but machine tool engineering was his game and he was a top 5% person in it. Junk equipment makes junk parts seven days a week and twice on Sunday! Then the way they just throw these parts together is horrible.

I saw the hand writting on the wall with the old mod. 39 line of 22 rimfire rifles (known as the Cadillac of 22's). They were hand assemdled and fit together. Remington couldn't stand that, as soon as they saw the chance they ruined it.
gary