Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

.338 M.O.A.G. (mother of all guns) pics and story

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2005, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

Re: .338 M.O.A.G. (mother of all guns) pics and story

GG--picture hint--set the camera on macro when going thru scope [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

1022yds at williamsport -- 45x SWARO HD

20-50x leup on 50x same day

Haze affects everything [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

BTW--why not just go to the 20-50x?? I have never had to come off 50x since i got the scope, and have NEVER used less than 20x at 1K.

also, scrap the plastic scopelevel and get a b-quare level from midsouth shooters supply--it mounts on the rail instead of the scope.

That is a sweet mile-banger for fo-sho!!

YMMV,
JB
Old 03-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member

Jb1000br,
Thanks for the photo tip. I will look if my camera has a macro mode.

I thought about the 20-50x but I'm glad I went with the 35x instead. 50x on a 30 mm tube makes a Leupy look like a Trashco. Besides, I have killed many a chuck at the .83 mile mark and shot the gong at 1 mile very easily at 25x. I think there has only been 5 or 6 days that I have even been able to shoot the scope at 35x. We have mirage and thermals out here in the west that just make it downright worthless to have anything over 35x most of the time. I have a 20-60x eyepiece on my Swaro 80mm spotter and even on that I have only gotten to use 60x about 10% of the time.

The bubble level I use has worked for me in all my longrange hunts on uneven ground. What makes the B-square better? A bubble is a bubble ain't it? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member

Good Grouper IT'S PINK??!! Dude?

Just kidding, It looks real nice.

Pic#1 Nice bench. It folds flat I assume?

#2 I notice that you have 2 scope levels and I was wondering why?

#5 Two things stand out here. The footlocker sized ammo box and your precision range finder. (Tape measure on bench) Very accurate but it must take a while to "range" out to 2000 with it.

#6 Just curious what your cost per round comes out to? And how it looks compared to a .308 and/or a .50 BMG.

#7 I see the bolt handle is up. Safety first [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

#13 Looks like your 95 and 97 grain loads .010 off the rifling are doin' quite nicely. (not that any of the other groups are bad either).

#14 What diameter is the gong?

Nice setup GG but I still have a few more questions:
You ain't married yet are you?
Are you going to carry this gun in next year for your 1820 yard shot on an elk?
When are you scheduled to be in Twin Falls or Boise Idaho? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
And lastly, only if you want to tell, muzzle to butt, how much $?$?
Old 03-03-2005, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

GG--the scopelevel = easy breakee with a 50lb gun

Didnt see the ACD

keep the acd on the scope and get the b-square for the rail--then the gun and scope can be level [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'd rather index of the scope base for level rather than the scope, thats all.

the b-square unit is cheaper than the ones you have and is aluminum (bout 18$ from MSS)

I have gone from the scopelevels to the b-square units on all mine.

Plus, no flipping uip the b-sq to see it--you can always see it with your non-sighting eye [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

THERE IT IS...

JB
Old 03-03-2005, 11:40 AM
Platinum Member

Looks cool. I just might have to get one.
Pull it
Dump it

Old 03-03-2005, 12:03 PM
Silver Member

Goodgrouper... any way to get a drawing of that great looking "bench"?
Old 03-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

4Ked Horn,

Thanks for the post man.

I'll try to answer all your questions.

[ QUOTE ]
Good Grouper IT'S PINK??!! Dude?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it's pink. We didn't choose the colors. Bill already had the stock made when Brian called him to order. It was either take the pink or wait another 6 months for another color. It is really growing on me now. I like it better now. Bill calls it "Carolina sunset".

[ QUOTE ]
Pic#1 Nice bench. It folds flat I assume?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Best bench I've ever used. I could park my truck on it and it wouldn't wiggle. 7mmrhb designed it and helped me build it. Well, he did most of the work, I just handed him screws and made trips to the lumber yard when needed! 158 greenbacks went into that puppy not including time and labor!

[ QUOTE ]
#2 I notice that you have 2 scope levels and I was wondering why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question and good eye. I am testing both to see which will work better on this gun. The scope sits up high enough that I could flip the short one down and still see it from the shooting position.

[ QUOTE ]
#5 Two things stand out here. The footlocker sized ammo box and your precision range finder. (Tape measure on bench) Very accurate but it must take a while to "range" out to 2000 with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could find a bigger ammo box, but no one makes one!

[ QUOTE ]
#6 Just curious what your cost per round comes out to? And how it looks compared to a .308 and/or a .50 BMG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's 45 cents for the bullet, 3 cents a primer, 25 cents worth of powder, $1.50 for each brass, and the ability to kill chucks at 2 miles--priceless!
I'll post a pick of the round next to something more familiar soon.

[ QUOTE ]
#7 I see the bolt handle is up. Safety first

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Since this gun has no safety.

[ QUOTE ]
#14 What diameter is the gong?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's 15" diameter and 3/8" thick.

[ QUOTE ]
You ain't married yet are you?
Are you going to carry this gun in next year for your 1820 yard shot on an elk?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not married. Who has time for women when there's guns to be built! Even if I had the time, this gun is still cheaper than a woman by a long shot, no pun intended!
I was planning on making a shot like that this year but the gun didn't make it in time. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
When are you scheduled to be in Twin Falls or Boise Idaho?

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like we'll be in Twin the last weekend of March or first weekend of April. I'll get you more details as the time gets near.

[ QUOTE ]
And lastly, only if you want to tell, muzzle to butt, how much $?$?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm not really sure. Brian's got way more money into it than me so far, but I know it's over $4500 and that's not including the SLR harbor mount I want to get for it. That's another grand!
Pull it
Dump it