Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

338 Lapua tactical rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2001, 01:46 AM
Bronze Member

Re: 338 Lapua tactical rifle?

You shouldn't have to worry about anything being off center with any quality custom action. I have talked to one person that has used PGW actions and my gunsmith has talked to a couple of people who gave good ratings for PGW. I belive they have the McMillian stocks inletted to fit their actions. You can have a detachable box magazine that is up to 4"+ with the Timber wolf. I know that many say that it isn't necessary for long range hunting, but those of us with a tactical background seem to feel better with a magazine. I guess it is just habit to cycle the bolt and re aquire the target asap. I belive that there rifles come with a good trigger and magazine set up. If you figure that into the cost of other custom actions it isn't bad. If you want to go with a single shot the actions from B.A.T. are nice. They are very stronge and run around 1100. A solid single shot action will be more riggid and give you an edge for accuracy, but with a good custom action you should be able to get the accuracy you need with a repeater. H&S precision also makes a repeater action that will handle the Lapua, but the magazine is no longer then a Remington box. You will want a overal length longer then that allows for. I would guess that you would want to end up having a C.O.A.L in the neighborhood of 3.75 to 3.85" for best velocitys.
Vince
Old 12-30-2001, 01:51 AM
Bronze Member

Sorry, I guess the Timberwolf doesn't inlude a trigger so you would have to use a Jewell. Good trigger though and worth the money.
Vince
Old 12-31-2001, 12:38 AM
Silver Member

I can buy a whole custom tactical rifle from HSprecision for the cost of just the Timberwolf action, what gives? Why are the Timberwolf actions so expensive?

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: sr90 ]
Old 12-31-2001, 01:10 AM
Bronze Member

They are expensive. Once you get up to the price of the H&S you are into the zone of deminishing returns. The only real drawback to the H&S is the mag length. That 300 MK will eat up a lot of powder capacity if the C.O.A.L. is only 3.6 or so. It just comes down to how much do you really need a repeater that maximizes your overall length.
Vince
Old 12-31-2001, 05:53 AM
Silver Member

Have you looked at the Sako Trg-S. It is a bolt action repeater. I have one with a Hart 28inch barrel and a break. It shoots great and is very portable. I deer hunt with it every year.

Matt
Old 12-31-2001, 08:53 AM
Bronze Member

The HS is a fine rifle but it is basically
a Remington 700. It lacks the integral base
w 20minutes slope, the integral recoil lug,
and the third locking lug. In addition to
this it has a brazed on bolt handle and not
a one pc. bolt like to TWOLF. Consider the
vast differences in machining difficulty and
you will have an idea why it is more.

Furthermore if you research tactical rifles
on the net you will find that there are places that charge more for a Rem 700 based
rifle than we do for a TWOLF. Also, please
note that most pricing includes options.
See the options list on our site, deduct
the cost of the options such as fluting,
Jewell trigger, etc..

Regards,
Ross
Old 12-31-2001, 04:58 PM
Silver Member

I must admit the Timberwolf action looks much more impressive than the HSprecision action.

Question about the Sako TRG action; does anyone know what the magwell length is on it? Will it hold the 300 grn sierra's?

Matt Regalia, Did you have anyone true your action? How much does it weigh and what taper is the barrel?