Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

.338 Lapua ackley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 04:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: .338 Lapua ackley

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 11-24-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
He has several versions of the 338 AI reamers on record.

Beware of buying any wildcat die "off the shelf". Too many versions with the same name and they often will not work unless you have exactly the same chamber finish reamer, which is unlikely.

BH
VERY TRUE!! The 338 LAI version I have uses a 40 degree shoulder, as opposed to the Speedy which has a 35 degree shoulder. Also some of the versions straightwall the casing more than others.
Generic dies and wildcats do not mix.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

Boss Hoss,
I have not read the entire 6 pages on this thread, so I might be confused. I thought I read you were going to post the schematic of the reamer for the Speedy version of 338 LAI, but it looks like the schematic is for a 7mm . Please enlighten me if I am mistaken. Thanks
Old 11-24-2008, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

Opppppppssssssss posted the wrong one!!!! Fixed it now....
Old 11-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

Boss Hoss,

Thank you for posting the reamer spec pic!

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 12-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by long ranger View Post
I find it interesting the different experiences many of us who have played with this combination have had. I do not doubt your experience for a moment, just different from mine. I have a buddy in B.C. who has built 1 with Shilen barrel and he is not getting the velocites either.
Something else I have been doing differently from many is using Gun Juice religisously.
I believe that also contributes to the added velocity, it sure does keep copper fouling to a minimum.
I agree that velocity is not everything, accuracy IS. To have both is nice.
Kirby built my 338ax with 30'' barrel. i am getting 3030' 300gr smk 100.5gr of retumbo with out gun juice. kirby did all load work 1/2 moa out to 1600 yds. Can i use gun juice after i have shot 170 rounds through it? Would you give cleaning example? how often do you clean? Do you use any other product to get carbon and copper out first and then put gun juice in the chamber and bore? This 100.5gr. is not max; i get low es in low teens it will go faster but the es is to high. How offen do you go after copper in the rifle? One other question-have you notice if your groups got smaller after you have used gun juice? did your velocity stay even or did it start to drop after a few rounds until you can put more gun juice in it? would you give full name of gun juice so i can order it on the internet? Thanks for your input, Joe
Old 12-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new shooter View Post
Kirby built my 338ax with 30'' barrel. i am getting 3030' 300gr smk 100.5gr of retumbo with out gun juice. kirby did all load work 1/2 moa out to 1600 yds. Can i use gun juice after i have shot 170 rounds through it? Would you give cleaning example? how often do you clean? Do you use any other product to get carbon and copper out first and then put gun juice in the chamber and bore? This 100.5gr. is not max; i get low es in low teens it will go faster but the es is to high. How offen do you go after copper in the rifle? One other question-have you notice if your groups got smaller after you have used gun juice? did your velocity stay even or did it start to drop after a few rounds until you can put more gun juice in it? would you give full name of gun juice so i can order it on the internet? Thanks for your input, Joe
Before you use Gun Juice you have to get 100% clean, all copper and carbon MUST be removed.
If you coat over it with Juice it will be there permanently. I would recommend Wipe Out as a cleaner, you may need to use 2 or 3 doses to get everything out.
I started my own rifles from shot#1 with Juice. I clean any of my rifles only when the grouping starts to open up which so far seems to be not at all. I do however run 1 wet patch of Juice down the bore after a days shooting. To date no copper has built up so I have not bothered to clean. I am watching my bore with a borescope.
Use of Gun Juice will increase velocity as you treat the barrel, I have not experienced any change in velocities since treating the bore.
The Gun Juice is made by Microlon and is available in the US, I am a dealer for it in Canada.