Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

338 lapua or 338 ultramag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Bronze Member

338 lapua or 338 ultramag?

never shot this round yet but from what i've read not a big difference. what are the pro's and con's of either round in same situation. same barrel and length, just curious. Seen a remington 700 338 lapua today and just wondering.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Silver Member

Re: 338 lapua or 338 ultramag?

The difference is gobs of money. The ultra bad*ss Barrett 98 is around $5,000 and a Remington Sendero is about $750. Brass for the Lapua is $4 each for the 338 RUM was 80 cents. The Sendero has a 26" barrel which is it's only knock. I think you need at least 28" to utilize some of the slower powders like the awesome Retumbo. I got a pet load here from JD338 and it shoots one hole with a 250 gr. Accubond at 3160 fps. He was shooting 1/4 MOA with his Sendero and maybe only lost 25-30 fps with the 26" barrel. I don't want to invest over $4,000 extra for COOL factor. If you're a lottery winner I guess it doesn't matter. Whatever you put on your plate with them will not know the difference.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

Balistically they are close and will do the same thing. But the Lapua will usually have more velocity for a couple reasons. The Lapua has better brass available, no question there. People that have not owned both will complain that the Lapua brass is more expensive at about $2.65 a piece. But in all reality the Lapua is cheaper to shoot in the long run as the Lapua brass will out last the Rem brass by 3 times or more. This is especially evident if you load them both to max where you could see the Lapua brass last even 5 times longer. They are both long range elk hammers with 300 gr bullets and for most general purposes both will do the same thing. I find a good deal of accuracy in all my rifle with well prepped quality brass. I hate to see it wear out quickly after all the prep and truing, so I prefer the Lapua brass. Plus if you start prepping each you will soon realize why the Lapua has a higher initial cost. It definitely shows in the quality and consistency. They both will send the same bullet, use the same primer, and like the same powders. The Lapua will in most cases use about 3 gr more and that is part of where the extra velocity comes from. But the cost of shooting them is close to equal with a slight advantage going to the Lapua for longer brass life. I have owned them both, loaded for them both a lot, shot them both a lot and like them both. But if I am doing a custom build I will look for quality brass availability before I choose the cartridge.

Jeff
Old 03-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Bronze Member

thanks for the input. this is what i'm reading and really haven't seen a big difference between the two. The cool factor is nice but performance in the end is the main thing. their is a cool factor with the lapua and something kinda new by todays standards these days. its a solid round for sure but several rounds out their that can compete and surpass from what I'm reading. Doing my home work is whats going on. I'm currently playing with a 7mm ultramag and thinking of upgrading barrel to a 300rum or 338 rum? might just keep the 7mm rum and call it good. really wanting to upgrade to a better quality barrel and longer. gathering information and what do i really want to do with a long range gun!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoming4x4 View Post
I'm currently playing with a 7mm ultramag and thinking of upgrading barrel to a 300rum or 338 rum? might just keep the 7mm rum and call it good. really wanting to upgrade to a better quality barrel and longer. gathering information and what do i really want to do with a long range gun!
Let me toss another option out there. When that 7 RUM throats wears out on you. Send that rifle to Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge. Ask Shawn to rebarrel it to his new 338 Edge Plus P. Shawn has recently worked with a company to produce awesome brass for the 338 Edge that is equal in quality to the Lapua brass, maybe even better. The 338 Edge and 338 Lapua are pretty much dead nutz for performance. But when you add Shawns custom +P chamber the EDGE moves ahead in the game with velocity. So you would end up with a upper performing 338 that has all the cool factor, and it backs it up with performance in the field.

Jeff
Old 03-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Let me toss another option out there. When that 7 RUM throats wears out on you. Send that rifle to Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge. Ask Shawn to rebarrel it to his new 338 Edge Plus P. Shawn has recently worked with a company to produce awesome brass for the 338 Edge that is equal in quality to the Lapua brass, maybe even better. The 338 Edge and 338 Lapua are pretty much dead nutz for performance. But when you add Shawns custom +P chamber the EDGE moves ahead in the game with velocity. So you would end up with a upper performing 338 that has all the cool factor, and it backs it up with performance in the field.

Jeff
funny you mention shawn. i just recently bought a long range hunting video and seen what he is using. good video some routine stuff but getting up to speed with the computor age and new tech stuff that is being used for long range. he keeps it simple and accurate. now all i have to do is apply. will give him a call on this and cost$ down the road. thanks for checkin in.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoming4x4 View Post
funny you mention shawn. i just recently bought a long range hunting video and seen what he is using. good video some routine stuff but getting up to speed with the computor age and new tech stuff that is being used for long range. he keeps it simple and accurate. now all i have to do is apply. will give him a call on this and cost$ down the road. thanks for checkin in.
just got a e mail back from shawn, defensive edge on a saturday. not able to upgrade my rifle. he said he's only doing his complete rifle builds. very busy guy these days and lots of wait time also.