Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

.338 for first rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Bronze Member

Re: .338 for first rifle?

I was just wondering if you have thought about other caliber's to start with. I think everyone should have a smaller caliber also. Maybe start with something like a 308 or a short mag. Most with the right bullets choice will reach out there a long ways. While helping build good shoot form and learning with a big gun can have it's cost. Like recoil sensitive..
Old 04-04-2011, 05:16 AM

I'm open to options right now. Something to learn the basics on and maybe be a centerfire rifle. Id like to learn to reload my ammo aswell in the future before upgrading.

Also any optics you guys would recomend for a beginner rifle? Something that will help me with when Im learning ballistics, has turrets that are not covered, for quick setup. Something like the NF scopes have, when you can just turn the turret without unscrewing a cap and MIL Dots aswell. But not overkill ofc.

Again thanks for your replies, and for being so tolerant.

Last edited by Weidah; 04-04-2011 at 05:37 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Bronze Member

Zivijo

Sorry thats about all the Slovenian I know The original owner of my house was from Slovenia I am probably the only person in the U.S with a kozolec haha.

Now about importing a Remington to your country I dont know Slovenias laws its different in every country so you will have to ask a local gun shop owner about that.
If Remington is not already imported to your country it will most likely be really hard to get one imported if not impossible.

If Remington does not import to your country you have a lot of other choices for guns that are made in Europe alot of them are actually better than Remington by along shot some examples would be.

CZ, FN, Sako, Zastava, Steyr there is more but the list would go on for a while.

Those are all top notch guns I personally use FN and CZ guns alot.

CZ makes a nice 22lr called the CZ 452.

As far as scopes go its better to get a good one but they come at high prices.
Look in to some of the offerings by Zeiss and IOR valdada they both make scopes with exposed target turrets you will have to find one in your price range and one that is practical for your use.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:00 PM

Živjo.

Nice to see you know some Slovene, did you just pickup some words or do you know Slovene?

Anyways on topic.

I'm probably gonna go for a .22 LR as the rounds are really cheap and I can have some fun with it and learn the basics.

About the scope, I'll check on the ones you recommended. Is there anything specific I have to look for in a scope for a .22LR? Also I wear glasses if that makes any difference.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weidah View Post
Živjo.

Nice to see you know some Slovene, did you just pickup some words or do you know Slovene?

Anyways on topic.

I'm probably gonna go for a .22 LR as the rounds are really cheap and I can have some fun with it and learn the basics.

About the scope, I'll check on the ones you recommended. Is there anything specific I have to look for in a scope for a .22LR? Also I wear glasses if that makes any difference.

I think you will be really happy that you took it slow in the beginning. There is so much more to good shooting than a huge magnum caliber rifle. I think once you spend a little time with a small bore rifle and learn the basics of shooting and most importantly safety, you will be glad you did. If you went with a 338 you would also be taking a big plunge in the reloading learning curve. I could see it being very frustrating for a beginner. Good luck with your shooting.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Silver Member

I d recommend trying 6mm savage for learning technique, fun, cost of ammo, accuracy and not developing a flinch. Can be accurate o 1000 and teaches you to read wind. Nfs 5.5-22 good scope or if you plan to get a 338 edge or 338/408 consider a 5-25 S&B.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:55 AM

I kinda made my mind up that I'll be getting a 22lr and I got my eye on a nice CZ with a synthetic stock, like the look . But I'll do some research on the 6mm and prices for guns and rounds. Savage is not that common here and it takes months for it to arrive though.

About the scope, I haven't done much research on them, but just yesterday I found a nice Zeiss scope and found that it's parallax free 100y. Not ideal for a rimfire I think. Looking for a 3x or 4x with Mil-dot or maybe a 3-9x but has to have a parallax adjustment. Someone suggested a Bushnell scope but at 80€ I think that's kinda cheap.

Thanks for your reply.