Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

338 Edge Throat Length and Cartridge OAL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Bronze Member

338 Edge Throat Length and Cartridge OAL

Would like to get some input from users that have built a 338 Edge. I'm building one now and will be ready for chambering soon. It will be built on a Stiller Predator action, 30" 9.5 Obermeyer with a CSR 4-port brake. I would like to shoot the 300gr Nosler AB in it. I'd like to know what OAL most people who have used this cartridge load it to. I know the Stiller Predator comes cut for the Wyatt's extended mag that will allow 3.820" but I'm looking and installing the Wyatt's extended center feed mag that will allow up to 4.000". It seems that with these long bullets, you would lose a lot of power space with the bullet base so far into the case. I'm considering throating the chamber to allow a OAL of 3.950" (touching the lands) with the 300gr NAB and can back it up from there as needed. This length would put the boat tail transition right at the body/shoulder junction. The picture below is a dummy round made up to a 3.950" OAL.

Let me know what you think. I want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction. I can always throat it out longer if needed but hard to put it back when you've gone too far!!!
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
338 Edge Throat Length and Cartridge OAL-dsc04364.jpg  
Old 01-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 338 Edge Throat Length and Cartridge OAL

OK... Did some more searching on this site and found a post where a member had a reamer built for the 300SMK loaded to 3.950" OAL. The measurement from the bolt face to the end of the lead was 3.129". Loaded up a dummy round with a 300SMK seated out to 3.950" and marked the bullet at the ogive/bearing surface junction (used dial calipers set to .337" - not perfect but pretty close). Did the same with a 300NAB and marked it in the same fashion. Measured both rounds from the cartridge head to the mark on the bearing surface - both were so close to 3.129" it was hard to measure the difference.

Looks like this length is a viable option with the 4" Wyatt's box. Picked it up today and the dummy rounds will fit through it with no problem. If I'm not happy with the way the NAB's shoot, looks like I can fall back on the SMK's which is a proven performer in the round. I've considered the Berger Elite Hunter 300gr but don't have any in hand to play with. From the information I have been able to gather on the web, in this configuration the bullet will be to long the feed through the mag when loaded to the lands. Looks like it will have to be a single shot if I want to run them.

Below is a picture of both dummy rounds.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
338 Edge Throat Length and Cartridge OAL-dsc04440.jpg  
Old 01-06-2013, 09:51 AM

What kind of stock will you be using? Will the 4" Wyatt box allow use of a hinged floor plate or will you have to use a "blind" stock?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Bronze Member

I have purchased a B&C Medalist M40 Tactical. The magazine box will fit (with some minor fitting - it's tight) and will allow the use of the hinged floor plate. I purchased the PTG bottom metal and am fitting it to the stock inletting right now. Since I don't have the barreled action back from being chambered, hard to say how it will all go back together but I'm confident it will work. I know others have used this mag box with success.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Silver Member

The 300 gr Berger bullets do not have to touch the lands to shoot well. I use both the 300gr OTM and the 300gr Elite Hunter . When loaded with the same powder charge and seating depth they will shoot in the same group. They are a hybrid design and shoot well off the lands. I also have an Obermeyer .338 barrel with a 9.5 twist that is very accurate with the 300gr Bergers and 93gr of Retumbo. Gary
Old 01-06-2013, 03:07 PM
Bronze Member

Gary,
Good to know. How far off the lands do you typically load them? I have been using Retumbo for other loadings so I have some on hand that I will try as well. From what I have read, H1000 seems to be the go to powder for the 338 but always nice to know that will work as well. Seems since Retumbo is a little slower burning it would work well with the extra case capacity you would gain by seating the bullets out long.