Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

338 Edge Repeater magazine help...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 12:53 PM

338 Edge Repeater magazine help...

Hey everyone!
I have this posted on another site as well...just trying to solicit all the help I can get.

I have decided to mag feed my Edge and make it a repeater. The company that offers the bottom metal I need offers a set-up to feed up to the big 3.85 COAL's. They have two magazines at that size optimized for the .338LM and the .300MW in the AI CIP size. I have perused ammoguide to look at the parent case sizes, but not sure which magazine to get for my .338 Edge rounds. Any ideas?? I'm trying to order the set up, but have no clue which magazine to have them send me.

DC
Old 09-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 338 Edge Repeater magazine help...

No answers here. Just questions...

Have you discussed this with your smith?

Will he/she be using an off the shelf reamer? Or, one that's custom ground? You can always call Dave Kiff at PTG and ask how his are set up by default.

Will you be set up for a specific throating/freebore to accomodate a particular bullet/COAL?

Have you considered the Edge+P?

Shawn Carlock must've dealt with all of this many times over.

The COAL of your intended ammo plus enough room to mitigate recoil and vibration may clue you in to a minimal length for the magazine.

-- richard
Old 09-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

What 'company' are you talking about? It sounds like you are trying to make a choice between magazine options this 'company' offers based on parent case
size...?

The EDGE RUM case is longer than the 338 Lap or 300WM cases and you will need a longer box than what would be made for them IF you are trying to maximize case capacity and use long bullets for long range work. The RUM case is between the Lap case (larger case dia. than RUM) and the 300 WM in terms of case dia. What does the company say when you ask them which would work for your RUM application?

In terms of long mag boxes, if you are talking about a Rem 700 action or clone the longest box I know of:

CFE-9 Magazine Box, Wyatt's Outdoor

I've got two of 'em. One in a 300 RUM in a Rem 700 action and one in a 338 Lap Imp on BAT HRPIC action.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 09-13-2011, 06:09 AM

The barrel is a Savage pre-fit from 4D Reamers (Krieger Criterion).

The action is a Savage 110.

The company is Accurate-Mag and they are going to start offering a bottom metal kit that fits the 110 and other Savage long actions (5.062) spacing that will use AI type CIP mags. This will allow COALs up to 3.850. Just didn't know which magazine to have them send with my kit. I am guessing based on body diameter, the 338LM mag will work the best.

Thanks for the help.

DC
Old 09-13-2011, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcompto View Post
The barrel is a Savage pre-fit from 4D Reamers (Krieger Criterion).

The action is a Savage 110.

The company is Accurate-Mag and they are going to start offering a bottom metal kit that fits the 110 and other Savage long actions (5.062) spacing that will use AI type CIP mags. This will allow COALs up to 3.850. Just didn't know which magazine to have them send with my kit. I am guessing based on body diameter, the 338LM mag will work the best.

Thanks for the help.

DC

That would be my guess as well, but I'd check with them. If it's an adjustable center feed mag, like the Wyatt's, then it could accomodate different case body diameters OK. Some designs may only work with one case size/dia.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 09-13-2011, 09:16 AM

Looks like the more I investigate, the 339LM is the magazine most are running. With the caveat that the 338LM has a shorter shoulder than the 338Edge, so the forward ribs on the magazine must be removed for the RUM cases to fit in the mag. Rumor has it that AI is offering CIP mags with no forward ribs, but I need to verify that this morning. I don't quite know how I feel about having two open slots on my mag to invite mud, dirt, crud and what-have-you into the feeding system of my rig. I have the bottom metal on the way so I can mill the feed area of the receiver for the longer lengths and I am holding off on the mag until I can get some definite answers.

I'll try to get pics of this thing once I get it all together. Going to be turning and threading the barrel for the brake this weekend if I can find time.

DC
Old 09-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member

What will have to be done to the action? The magazine opening on a Savage 110 won't allow a 3.850" COAL.