Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

338 edge contour

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Silver Member

Re: 338 edge contour

I just finished building my 338LM with an unfluted 28" bartlein bbl in the Remington Varmint Contour (Sako TRGs with an after market recoil lug, McMillam A-5 stock- non-lightweight version, and a 20 moa scope rail). It ended up at ~30" with the DE brake. It was just a tad over 12 lbs without the scope.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies guys,

Rymart, Let me know how it shoots and what you think of the DE brake. I have a Vias on my 300 ultra mag but I was not overly impressed with its performance, and it will be the last break I buy that has holes in the bottom of the break itself. (tired of getting a dirt sandwich every time I shot prone.)

My gunsmith said he might build a custom break for me as he built one for his 338 LM.

Again, thanks for all the information
Old 10-01-2008, 12:13 AM
Silver Member

I shoot a 27'' Lilja in 300 rum with a DE brake. Love it. Love it. Love it. you will not be disappointed with that brake. it is designed to make a minimal ground signature. (no dirt sami) plus it looks like a sherman tank brake

I am the way I am because I watched the movies "Red Dawn" and "Tremors" at a impressionable age.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Gold Member

G'day mate !

I am using DE much proven HART 30 "plus brake 1-10 5.6 double contour sendero taper with 6 heavy flutes. I have shot 100 yard groups that are only 1 hole wide and several 4" wide groups at 1000 yards. My gun was made for a very similar purpose to what you describe and I find it very portable. Shawn tells me he is using this contour alot now. I think my rifle complete with NF scope weighed 11.9 ??

Is there any reason you are not thinking about the 30 " length. I only ask because people with more experience than me with the round all seem to think it is optimum for ringing the most out of the round. So I am told ?

Good choice of calibre by the way !!

DUH
Old 10-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the information all of you have provided. It helped me in the decision I made today. I have decided to go with a Bartlein barrel, Remington Varm/sendero contour. I am having it fluted as well. I asked my gun smith to order it today so I will be eagerly waiting for it to show up.

DUH: The main reason I am going with a 28” barrel is because of where I hunt I pack in a ways and a 30” barrel with a break would make for a tough hike in, I already have a rifle that has a 27.5” barrel and it is cumbersome at times. The other reason is that after seeing my gunsmith’s 338 LM (also a 28” barrel) shoot, I do not believe that I will be losing very much. (Neither does he)

By the way DUH, nice stag , what he dress out at?

Any suggestions on the feed rails modification needed on my sendero action?

Deer season starts oct. 11th here followed by Elk (my fav.) oct 25th. I hope to have some photos of downed animals.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:50 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter351 View Post
Thanks for the information all of you have provided. It helped me in the decision I made today. I have decided to go with a Bartlein barrel, Remington Varm/sendero contour. I am having it fluted as well. I asked my gun smith to order it today so I will be eagerly waiting for it to show up.

DUH: The main reason I am going with a 28” barrel is because of where I hunt I pack in a ways and a 30” barrel with a break would make for a tough hike in, I already have a rifle that has a 27.5” barrel and it is cumbersome at times. The other reason is that after seeing my gunsmith’s 338 LM (also a 28” barrel) shoot, I do not believe that I will be losing very much. (Neither does he)

By the way DUH, nice stag , what he dress out at?

Any suggestions on the feed rails modification needed on my sendero action?

Deer season starts oct. 11th here followed by Elk (my fav.) oct 25th. I hope to have some photos of downed animals.

The sambar I quess would have weighed around the 600 lbs mark ? From where we have to pack them from we dont have much chance to put them on the hook.

Good luck with your edge !

DUH