Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

338 Edge Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Bronze Member

338 Edge Build

Im currently gathering parts for a 338 build and want to seek some additional input on here. This rifle will be used for LR elk hunting (600-1000 or so), as well as LR target play (as far as I can stretch it). It may also be used for mule deer occasionally but my 700 LTR .308 is my main deer rifle for the columbian blacktail that I usually hunt.

Here's what I have ordered or in hand already:
-Kreiger .338 1:10 twist stainless, MTU contour with (6) 1/4" flutes, 30" finished length.
-McM A5 with KMW adjustable cheek, swirl finish 50% OD, 25% tan, 25% black, R700 LA footprint, Seekins DBM inlet, sniper fill.
-Seekins Precision DBM with (2) mags, 3.94" COAL.
-R700 Sendero II barreled action (was a 300 RUM)
-Badger 20MOA R700 base

What I still need to get (input very much welcomed):
-Rifle Basix trigger to replace the X mark
-Muzzle Brake. At this point I'm leaning towards the APA "fat bastard" (American Precision Arms - FB (Fat Bastard) brake)
-Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50, MLR reticle, mil adjustments with zerostop.
-Rings, pretty much set on Seekins Precision.

Louisiana Precision Rifles (Louisiana Precision Rifles LLC.) is doing the build. I've had him do some work on an FN SPR previously and was really happy with the results. I hope to have all the parts in hand by mid April and ship them off to him. The turnaround on his end will probably be 1-2 months, which will leave me pretty much the entire summer to do load development and get familiar with it in time for elk season (November). That's the plan anyway .

I've read a ton on the Edge, and am happy on settling with that over the lapua. I already had the Sendero so using that action as a base seemed like a good idea. I'll try and keep this post updated as the build goes along. Some of the things I'm currently wondering:

-Re 300 RUM brass in loading for the Edge, has anyone tried other than Rem (Nosler?), and was there a noticeable quality / accuracy difference? If so, anyone know where I can find some? Everyone appears to be out of the Nosler 300 RUM.

-Is anyone else using the Seekins DBM system? How is it working out, feeding, etc? I'm really impressed with it's appearance and feel, and really like the added flexibility with the 3.94" COAL.

-Anyone have any pics of a similar setup? I'm really curious how the MTU Kreiger with heavy flutes will end up looking like.

-General critiques of the build plan.

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 338 Edge Build

Sounds like you have the makings of a very nice rig. You might want to consider the APS muzzle brake by Allen Kirby and possibly the NF NP-R1 recticle. Nosler Brass will work try the link below:

Blue Star Cartridge & Brass
Old 01-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Silver Member

Don't forget a recoil lug and a set of dies. I am also in the process of an Edge build. I think I will use the Fat Bastard as well. Do you have your barrel yet? Curious to know what it weighs. Mine is a 30" Rock MTU fluted.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
Sounds like you have the makings of a very nice rig. You might want to consider the APS muzzle brake by Allen Kirby and possibly the NF NP-R1 recticle. Nosler Brass will work try the link below:

Blue Star Cartridge & Brass
Thanks for the input. I looked at the APS brake, but am thinking at this point I prefer the aesthetics of the FB brake (as opposed to the howitzer type APS). From the reading I've done both are *extremely* effective and it would be tough to go wrong with either.

Regarding the NF reticle, I think I'm going to make the switch to mil / mil reticles and adjustments, thus the MLR choice. I've had a NPR1 in a 3.5-15 before, and really wasn't crazy about it. I've got a buddy I shoot with that has an MLR and I like it. I'm also looking at a NF 2.5-10x32 mil-dot / mil for my R700 LTR 308 as well...

I went to the link you provided, didn't see any Nosler brass, just Remington...?
Old 01-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinch View Post
Don't forget a recoil lug and a set of dies. I am also in the process of an Edge build. I think I will use the Fat Bastard as well. Do you have your barrel yet? Curious to know what it weighs. Mine is a 30" Rock MTU fluted.
Ah yes, recoil lug. The gunsmith is furnishing that so I just tend to forget about it. I intend to give Shawn Carlock a call for some dies, I'm told he stocks the actual 338 Edge dies? (Yes, I know you can use 338 RUM dies... I'd just rather have the Edge marked on there, call it piece of mind or whatever).

I don't have the barrel yet. I ordered it late last month with an expected delivery in April. It will probably be the last piece I'm waiting on. I should have the McM stock in March, and already have the Seekins DBM in hand. I should call and order the FB brake soon, once I make up my mind 100%...

With doing some really rough guesstimation I think the barrel weight will be about 7 pounds. That's what Kreiger lists their standard MTU at, with a 27" length. I'm thinking the extra 3" of barrel will probably cancel out the fluting, leaving me with around the 7 pound standard weight. Im not too concerned with the weight on this build as if I ever pack it, it won't be for very far, or very often.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

It's up to you but 300 rum brass is hard to come by so IMHO I'd go with either. Also either way with the reticles you can't go wrong with a NF. Keep us posted as your build moves along...Pics are always welcome.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

You might consider a Jewel trigger instead of the Rifle Basix. About $100 more but to hear folks who have used both, more than worth the extra cost. I've also heard about a few quality control issues with the Rifle Basix, someone please correct me if I am wrong. Sounds like it will be an awesome rig!

NRA Life Member