Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

338 Edge?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 03:30 PM

338 Edge?

I have a Remington 700 Classic in 8mm mag, I am having a terrible time locating brass. I was thinking of having it re barreled to the 338 Edge, thinking that it is unlikely that 300 ultra brass will become scarce, agree or disagree? Please give an opinion on this idea: keep the existing stock (sentimental nicks and scratches from elk gone by, have it glass bedded, 26 inch? fluted stainless barrel, timney trigger and a brake. I realize worth is in the eye of the beholder, but thinking this may be a great way to repurpose a gun that sits in my safe for a reasonable amount of dollars. Please let the opinions fly.
Thank you,
Tim
P.S. would a factory 8mm barrel be worth anything on the used market?
Old 11-13-2013, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 338 Edge?

I'd run some 375 h@h brass through your 8rem dies and blow them out. Your action would need work ( the rum is a bit wider) in addition to the rebarrel cost. I haven't been able to buy new 300 ultra brass locally since spring unless I want to buy factories. As to the bbl. value, watch the classifieds, but new take off rem bbl.s are going for under $100 usually; used would be less than that.
Also, welcome to the forum!
Old 11-13-2013, 04:04 PM

Thanks Lefty,
Does it take a ton of work on the action? One of the drivers for this is just a love for the 338 caliber. I am actually pretty fond of the 8mm, I just don't like the idea of having to fireform brass and the lack of a great 220 grain boat tail.
Tim
Old 11-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

From what I'm hearing the feed rails have to be opened a bit. I'd talk to your smith before I get too serious about a rebuild unless you are set on this one being an edge. It wouldn't be much more to start with another (custom) action if you are doing stock, barrel, and action work. I'm not saying don't do it, but you may just get two guns for a bit more $$ than working this one over.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:32 PM
Gold Member

Send it to Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge and have them turn it into a 338 Edge. You'll be glad you did. The 338 Edge is one of their specialties and they have the fastest turn around time of anyone I've ever worked with.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:31 PM
Gold Member

I'd just go 338 RUM it is close to the edge in FPS with same barrel length. You can find 338 RUM brass
Old 11-13-2013, 11:43 PM
Silver Member

back in 2001 I rebarreled my 300 RUM with a fatter longer tube and chambered a wildcat in it....I gave the factory take off to a friend, he had an 8mm Rem Mag Classic and IIRC it was a very simple and inexpensive job to make it run 300 RUM.... he calls it the Frankenstein........ blued action, stainless barrel and a wood stock.... not very pretty but kills moose as easily as the pretty guns.....

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud