Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

338 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 06:02 PM

338 build

I know, I know... there has already been a million questions on which 338 someone should build. I have done my research and shot the different ones I could get my paws on, but I still need a little advice and maybe even a gentle push in the right direction. I would like to push a 300gr bullet at 2800+ from a 26" barrel. To accomplish that I have narrowed my choices down to the edge, Norma, rum, and lapua. There are many others but these are the four that seem most readily available and have lots of loading data for me to go off of. My delimas with each are this.
The edge is perfect in almost all aspects, but it is the longest case in my selection and I don't want to run out of room in my mag if I decide to shoot some of those long copper bullets. No offense to the guys that shoot them, but it seems like everyone has one now a day and it would be nice to have something a little different. The rum has the same length issue as the edge and doesn't have quality brass offerings. It does have easy to acquire brass though and if I ever needed it in a pinch I could buy factory ammo. The lapua is also almost perfect for my application since its a little shorter and will work with my mag no problem. The only issue there is being able to get a hold of lapua brass and I would have to open up my bolt face. The Norma is the most interesting chambering to me and it seems to be the least picky for what its getting fed. Although I worry about it getting to 2800 on a bolt face that has been opened up.
Here is what I have to work with
Rem700 LA trued with mag bolt face
9.3 twist 27" blank
Seekins lapua dbm

All that being said. I would love some input or suggestions on those rounds for what I am trying to do. Thank you.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:48 PM
Silver Member

Re: 338 build

I don't have a big 338 yet. I think the edge is the way to go for what you want. I would not open up a Remington 700 to make it a Lapua. I know people do it, but that isn't the safest thing to do.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd676 View Post
I don't have a big 338 yet. I think the edge is the way to go for what you want. I would not open up a Remington 700 to make it a Lapua. I know people do it, but that isn't the safest thing to do.
I agree. If you are starting with a non-custom 700 action, go EDGE. My personal experience says that 2800 will be your very upper end with a 26" barrel. Some guys are getting some extra oomph out of RL33... But if you want to ensure 2800, good brass life, and an accuracy node at that velocity you may have to step up a bit...
Old 11-21-2013, 11:17 PM
Gold Member

I have comfortably gotten 2775 fps out of the 338 RUM with a 26 inch barrell and 300 gr SMK. That was without trying the RL 33 in it. Over 25 fps I wouldn't go edge.In fact a edge may be running neck to neck with it and really doesn't make sense in a 26 inch barrel.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:17 PM

step up how? Chambering, action, or barrell length? I can always buy another barrel and I also have a stiller predator with a mag bolt face on another rifle I would be willing to use. if I use that do you think I could open that one up to shoot the lapua or Norma safely or should I just try to find another custom action?
Old 11-21-2013, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

What are you really looking to use this rifle for?

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 11-21-2013, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyfo View Post
step up how? Chambering, action, or barrell length? I can always buy another barrel and I also have a stiller predator with a mag bolt face on another rifle I would be willing to use. if I use that do you think I could open that one up to shoot the lapua or Norma safely or should I just try to find another custom action?
I would say if 2800 is your bottom-line number, and you have that kind of flexibity in what you chamber, give yourself some cushion. For example:

I can get 2825fps out of my 338LM with a 28" barrel at Hodgdon's max book load for Retumbo/300SMK (always work up). Through load development, I found it shot best at about 2750. The 75fps is worth less to me than the accuracy, and I am being easier on brass.

If my shooting requirements dictated that I NEEEDED 2800fps, I would go up to a 338LM improved (or any of the many other wildcat 338s that safely run faster). That way, I don't max at 2800fps, I fail at 2800fps. Basically, I know with pretty high certainty that I will find a load that shoots great at 2800, and that I may find a load that shoots great at an even higher velocity. I don't need to find the magic load that maxes the velocity potential of my rifle and hope that it also is the most accurate.

This is just my philosophy, YMMV