Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

which 338?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-17-2009, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member
Re: which 338?

Saskhunter, semi-custom/custom rig can be built around any of the rounds I mentioned. As far as shok appeal that's up to you, if you go the custom route the skys the limit on what components you pick, heck you can even paint the stock, barrel...the whole gun in whatever you like. As far as the edge being so accurate and I'm assuming you been reading about here on LR. When you have smiths the likes of Kirby and Shawn building a custom rig...Well it doesn't get any better. However that's only one component and it's only going to be as good as what you load in it and you the shooter. So if you have an accurate rig and have the abilities that many (I don't put myself in this category) Edge shooter on LR have well=accuracy. Some of these guys are genious in my opinion on reloading abilities and their shooting skills-trigger control, ability to read wind, ballistics knowledge to mention a few are superb. Here's the kicker...throw all this together and any of those rounds IMHO would be very accurate...differences yes, could one of these shooters drop an elk in it's tracks at 500 yds w/ 1200yds probably not but with a 338AM a much better chance in the right hands. If you research enough starting here on LR you will find a wealth of knowledge on various post on these round particularly the wildcats and you'll start to get a feel for what may fit you. I have found most here on LR are more than willing to help. Good luck in your quest.

Unread 11-17-2009, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
Doesn't the 338AM have a greater case capacity than Excaliber?
Yes. But I would not recomend anything built on the this cartridge because of cost and
availability. If a shooter is "asking" what to buy/build then some wildcats are not the best

After owning a few reasonable wildcats (Those that are easy to form and load) then
a person can make an educated decision as to what caliber/cartridge to go with.

I have been shooting for over 50 years and was interested in the 416 Barret . But after
checking in to it I found That there was no brass available, no bullets available and the
only way to have ammo for a already expensive rifle was to purchase it from Barret (at
unbelievable prices) Over $10.00 a round making the 50 Browning a much better option.

The Barret is a proprietary cartridge and everything has to be purchased through them
including dies and anything else that you would need to reload.

The point is ; Why recomend something that has a high difficulty factor not to mention
the cost for the first custom long range rifle. In fact I would recomend a factory chambering
and in a custom package that would knock the socks off first time witnesses at the ranges.

This way the poster can have a rifle that will impress and perform with minimum problems.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Last edited by J E Custom; 11-17-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Unread 11-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

It comes down to making a choice between a factory chambering and a wildcat. Both have their good and bad.

IMO if you want something different and you are going to reload, the two best choices are 338AX and 338 Edge. Both Kirby and Shawn have put alot of time and expertise into developing these two chamberings and we the consumer get to benefit from it.

I think you will be hard pressed to find a "wildcat" that has and easier transition, from a factory round, than the 338 Allen Express or 338 Edge.
Unread 11-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member

J E Custom, for all the reasons you mentioned above I got to agree that's why I decided not to go with 338 Excaliber. Talk about expensive, just as an example the best price per Excaliber round is about $6 each plus a LD call & shipping, then there's Midway $7 each w/shipping and others can go as high as $14 each, IMHO-not readily available and then coal requires specialized action, magazine considerations unless you go w/A-Square rifle which starts at about $3500 which again appears to be nothing special about it. Just thought I'd throw this out there in case SASKHUNTER might have thought you were recommending Excaliber. I wouldn't recommend Excaliber or 338AM, too many others to choose from when starting out.
Unread 11-17-2009, 03:48 PM

see my biggest problem is that i am located in canada. its hard to get anything across the border now. i have found a place in calgary, alberta. its only a 8hr drive for me but they have everything. the place is called Alberta Tactical Rifle supply. Acording to there website they carry nosler cases in 300rum and 338 edge. they also carry 338 lapua. so i guess those might be might choices then. ill talk to them i guess and see what they recomend
Unread 11-17-2009, 04:01 PM
Silver Member

Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post

The value of the Lapua brass far outweighs its cost in $. If one were doing a value engineering assessment, the Lapua would most probably come out on top due to the quality of the brass.

If one could get 2850 out of a RUM the brass wouldn't last 3 rounds until one broke out the finger nail polish and/or super glue to hold and seal the primer.

The next time I get a 270 cal Allen Mag, its gonnal be the 277 AM which is based on the Lapua case v.s. the Remmy RUM case.
I have never finger nail polished primers in. Do you find it necessary? I shoot a 300 RUM. I also get up to 10 reloads. What are the reasons for doing this?
Unread 11-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member

Saskhunter, any one of the these four: 300rum, 338 rum, 338 edge or 338 lapua and you can't go wrong.