Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

which 338?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2009, 04:20 PM

which 338?

i originally wanted to turn my 300wsm into a long range gun but after joining this website it sounds like the a 338 cal is the choice. my question is which 338 to go with? lapua, ultra mag, edge. which bullet to use for a hunting bullet. thx for any input.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: which 338?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskhunter View Post
i originally wanted to turn my 300wsm into a long range gun but after joining this website it sounds like the a 338 cal is the choice. my question is which 338 to go with? lapua, ultra mag, edge. which bullet to use for a hunting bullet. thx for any input.
First choice - ultra - off the shelf with all of its benefits, ease of loading and very similar to the Lapua in performance.
Second choice - Edge - will do anything the Ultra will do and if custom made will out do the Ultra by at least 150 FPS with a more assurance of accuracy. Down side is that it has to be built which is much better in the long run.
Third choice - Lapua initial cost is more, would propably want a bit longer than factory offerings thus it becomes same as the Edge for time and money.

I have the Ultra and can't justify changing to the edge or Lapua basing things purely on ballistic performance. I shoot only the 300 SMK.

Any of the three will do the job at LR. There is a slight difference in the size of the rainbow trajectory.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

I have to put a vote in for the 338 Lapua Magnum. I get 2850 MV with 300 SMK's and have taken game over 800 yards many times and twice over 1100 yards. The ney-sayer say it is expensive to load for due to the initial price of brass. Well , I am loading my brass for the 7th time and have not lost one piece yet. I am very pleased with the .338 Lapua Mag.

Jeff
Old 11-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Jeff,

The value of the Lapua brass far outweighs its cost in $. If one were doing a value engineering assessment, the Lapua would most probably come out on top due to the quality of the brass.

If one could get 2850 out of a RUM the brass wouldn't last 3 rounds until one broke out the finger nail polish and/or super glue to hold and seal the primer.

The next time I get a 270 cal Allen Mag, its gonnal be the 277 AM which is based on the Lapua case v.s. the Remmy RUM case.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Jeff,

The value of the Lapua brass far outweighs its cost in $. If one were doing a value engineering assessment, the Lapua would most probably come out on top due to the quality of the brass.

If one could get 2850 out of a RUM the brass wouldn't last 3 rounds until one broke out the finger nail polish and/or super glue to hold and seal the primer.

The next time I get a 270 cal Allen Mag, its gonnal be the 277 AM which is based on the Lapua case v.s. the Remmy RUM case.
I agree Roy, a good friend of mine just had a very nice rifle built with a Mcmillan hunter stock, phoenix action with fluted bolt, 27" #5 contour fluted Lilja and chambered in 338 RUM. We stopped with a load just over 2700 MV and I would expect the primer pocket to last 2 or 3 loadings. The rifle weighed in at 11lb 4 oz topped with a 5.5x22x56 NXS. I was amazed when I took it out and busted a 14" wide target at 1162 yards center mass cold bore. I jacked another one in and stuck it right next to the first shot. Nothing wrong with the 338 rum if you don't mind preping new brass.

Jeff
Old 11-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Silver Member

Why does the brass not last as long? Does nosler make brass for the 338 rum? I know that they make brass for the 338win.

Darrin
Old 11-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrindlh View Post
Why does the brass not last as long? Does nosler make brass for the 338 rum? I know that they make brass for the 338win.

Darrin
Because about your only choice for brass is Remington which is generally regarded as being fairly soft.

Soft brass allows the primer pockets to loosen earlier than harder brass.