Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

338-300RUM Rogue and pix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2007, 11:01 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Jones View Post
Very very nice , whats it weigh? with that break the recoil mush be pretty mild huh?

I realy like the flutes , the number of flutes with the size makes for good look.
James,
Thanks for the compliment on the rifle.
It is a pleasure to shoot. Recoil is VERY mild.... meaning I can watch my hits at 600, but just barely. The rifle is quite heavy. I haven't actually put it on a scale. I suspect it is close to 20 lbs. I believe I removed 1.75 lbs when I fluted it.

Nate

P.S I'll put it on a scale and get you anexact weight ASAP.

Last edited by 308 nate; 10-31-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:09 PM
Silver Member

Beautiful rifle Nate, and an outstanding group.

Please explain the part about the barrel curvature and indexing it like that. Why wouldn't Broughton straighten it before he sent it? We laymen don't understand these things.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:04 PM
Gold Member

lewisH,
Thanks for the compliment.
In my personal findings here is what I feel it takes to make an accurate barrel.....

I will start with the part of the smith, I feel that it is extremly important that the chamber follow the bore exactly. It is also important that the smith checks the barrel for it's natural curve, this can be done by cleaning the barrel and looking through it (you can not tell by looking at the outside of the barrel) if there is a noticable curve it should be indexed either up or down (preferable up) so you don't have to continually adjust your windage as your range increases.

A curved barrel versus a perfectly straight barrel both have extreme accuracy potential, what makes a barrel bad is inconsistant bore diameter, meaning tight spots early on in the barrel or oversized spots which allow the gas to escape by the bullet in the barrel.

crooked chambers also lead to inaccurate barrels, irratic twist changes, bad crowns and stress.
Stress causes a barrel to move as the temperature changes. To straighten a curved barrel I feel would imply stress back into the barrel. It can be stress relieved again, but may move back.

Tim told me over the phone that the barrel was straight before it went into the oven. He inspects every barrel that leaves his shop and told me that when it came out of the oven it had curved and was right on the edge of what he will release. Tim North is one of the reasons I use Broughton barrels. He will not lie to you and is a wealth of knowledge. He stands behind his barrels 100% and if I had any problems he would replace the barrel and gave me another barrel for my troubles in a heart beat. I will also add that I have never had to send a barrel back to him due to accuracy problems. You will also not find a more stress fee barrel than a Broughton due to his stress releaving process.

Curves are common with all well known barrel makers. I won't mention any barrel maker names, but I have seen some barrels worse than this released from top barrel makers .

I agree, If I could pick I would pick a perfectly straight barrel, but you must remember even a straight barrel sags when held horizontal. There are ways to mount your scope and levels to help compensate for spin drift and barrels leaving the receiver slightly left or right.

I hope this all makes sense and will also say I am continually in a learning process myself. I will say consistant day to day hits on small targets at 1,000yds. is easier talked about than done and I very much admire those that are doing it...... as for me I'm still working on it ;)

308nate

Last edited by 308 nate; 10-31-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:36 PM
Silver Member

Nate

How does a 30/338 rogue differ from 30/338 Edge?
Do both variants have to be fire formed?

Very nice rifle.

Wade
Old 01-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Bronze Member

338 Rogue

Have mine completed and it is doing well ... do not usually measure fireforming shots .... but at less than 0.30 MOA with SMK 250's hard not to ...

28" Ted Gaillard 1 in 10 Fluted SS #5 Match barrel
Holland Bolt Handle & Recoil lug
Holland style Muzzle Brake (without bottom ports to avoid dust when prone)
Remington 700 BDL
Lone Wolf Stock - Pillar Bedded, Bedded Barrel Channel
Gracoil Recoil Reduction System with KickEez Pad
Gracoil Adjustable Cheek Piece
Leupold 8.5-25 X 50 Long Range with M1 Turrets and TMR Reticle

Really like it.... Not sure how to post a picture .... LRB
thanx for your past help
Old 01-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

Nate, i'm assuming you improved the 300rum case a little. did you push the shoulder forward any/ go with less taper?
Old 01-28-2008, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

308Nate, you have a beautiful rifle. I too like the color combo you picked.

What is the diameter of the barrel at the muzzle.

Wildcat