Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

.338 225gr Accubond

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Silver Member

.338 225gr Accubond

Just finished a caribou hunt on the N. Slope, AK. I was using 225gr accubonds at 3000fps and shot a caribou at 350yds and another one at 400yds.

The first animal was hit double lung and took out a couple of ribs. He didn't go far but took about 30 seconds to expire. The internal damage was minimal and I expect he would have ran had he known where I was.

The second animal was hit in the front shoulder and then again in the lungs. The first shot didn't put him down. He merely limped a littel bit. The second shot upset him but didn't knock him down either. He took about two minutes to lie down an die. He walked in circles for a little while not knowing where to go.

I was expecting the bou to go straight down. I have had other poor results using accubonds out of a 300wsm on Mt.Goat last year. Every animal has had a kill shot but did not have serious body damage nor did they expire quickly. Am I just shooting some resiliant animals?

The same hunt my bro-in-law was shot a caribou with his 338lapua-300gr matchking approx 2800fps at 680 yards. The bou was hit right behind the front shoulder and came out the opposite side shoulder. It went straight down and didn't budge. It was the reaction I was expecting from the 225gr accubond.

One of these day I will get around to posting a story.....
Old 10-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: .338 225gr Accubond

The first animal double-lunged through the ribs doesn't surprise me.

I'm surprised the second animal stayed on his feet with the entry through one of the front shoulders though.

I doubled lunged a nice bull caribou in 1976 with a .338 Win Mag & 250gr Nosler Partition at about 125 yds. The bull remained on his feet walking around in a daze for about 5 minutes. Could see blood blowing out the ribcage during breaths for an incredibly long time. He painted the tundra red. He was dead on his feet and he finally collapsed. Never really ran off at all. Just wandering around in a stupor.

Mt. Goat are pretty stout animals. They have a reputation for being pretty resilient to bullet hits through the ribcage. I shot one at 200 yds with a 338-378 Wthby Mag and again, 250 grain Nosler Partitions through the ribcage - broadside once. Rocked him pretty good. Almost knocked him off his feet. He regained his composure and then peg-legged it toward a cliff, but before he could get more than 4-5 crippled jumps in, he collapsed. The other Mt. Goats I've shot were spined and that anchors them, as expected. Instantly.

The performance of Nosler Partitions and Accubonds is described as being pretty similar as far as retained weight, etc. The Accubonds actually retain a bit more weight after expansion, IMO and experience. Thus my input on my experience on these two game animals with the Partition.

I've shot a number of animals with the Accubonds. Very accurate in the rifles I've used them in, and very reliable on-game performance. They won't explode on impact and provide the dramatic kills that some bullets do when they come unglued and shrapnel after several inches of penetration. But the Accubonds expand reliably, and in a controlled fashion, with predictable consequences - a dead game animal.

Last edited by phorwath; 10-09-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Silver Member

I had thought about switching over to partitions but may just bump up to 250gr accubonds and run with those after reading about your similar results. Bottom line is they work. I was just looking for "dead on arrival" results.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Most double lunged animals are never a bang, flop senario regardless of bullet size or weight. The only way to get consistent bang flops is to high shoulder or neck shoot them. If the bullet comes out the opposite side and the hole is bigger than the one on the entry, it did its job.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:05 PM

Hate to bring this thread back from the dead but..... I have spent 22 years in Labrador/NWT.Nunavut/Yukon and in that time have likely harvested over 50 caribou. Caribou will drop right away when double lung shot with a soft bullet. Why I like the partition is that it acts like a soft bullet up front with a hard back up. I have dropped many lung shot caribou instantly with a 308 and 150-165 Partitions. Hornady interlocks and Sierras work too.

The best string of one shot kills I have had is with a 6.5 Rem and 120 Sierra's. Remarkable string of bang-flops.

I have had slower kills with larger calibers and harder bullets. A 350 Rem Mag that I still have is a wonderful rig, but caribou where doing the 50-100 yard dash after lung shots at long range because the bullets I was using weren't creating the massive shock impulse that fast expansion will give.

You can't shock some tougher animals to death but caribou you can. Go frangible (within reason) young man. Leave the Accubonds for Moose or Bear.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:25 PM

I shot an elk at 366 yards this October with a 180gr AB out of a 300 weatherby. The elk was dead before I could chamber a second round. I was VERY impressed with the performance of the accubond.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Gold Member

I've always been a big fan or Nosler BT's and AB's and to me the AB's is just a better version of the BT. I look forward to the new 300gr .338 AB