Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

338 225 grain SST. Heavy duty enough for mature bull elk? What's your experience?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
338 225 grain SST. Heavy duty enough for mature bull elk? What's your experience?

Well, as the title indicates, I'm looking for opinions on the 225 grain 338 SST for a mature Roosevelt bull elk. Too light duty? I thought about the 225 ACCUBOND but the SST's do better in my rifle and have a better real world BC.

Thanks,

M
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Silver Member

Re: 338 225 grain SST. Heavy duty enough for mature bull elk? What's your experience?

I have not shot any of the hornady's in my 338rum, but the accubonds are superb on elk. I've shot the interbonds in a 300wsm and they worked picture perfect on elk also. If it were me, I'd stick with a bonded bullet in that weight range for the 338.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: 338 225 grain SST. Heavy duty enough for mature bull elk? What's your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
I have not shot any of the hornady's in my 338rum, but the accubonds are superb on elk. I've shot the interbonds in a 300wsm and they worked picture perfect on elk also. If it were me, I'd stick with a bonded bullet in that weight range for the 338.
I'm glad I asked this question because I completely forgot about the hornady interbonds. I just ordered a couple hundred 225 grain interbonds.

Thanks!

M
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

wouldnt you say a 225 grain sst from a 338 AM would wreck havoc on a coyote? I think it would skin him for you.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 03-09-2013, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member

I shot a whitetale head on at about 125 yards two years ago using the 225 SST's out of my .338 rum. All I could see was his head and a bit of neck, so the bullet went in right at the base of the neck and hit the spine. the bullet travelled only 13"ish with no exit and fragment everywhere (yes the deer died without any tracking). So the bullet worked good for deer, but I have my doubts about them on an elk shoulder.

However, I have shot the above mentioned interbonds out of my Dad's .340wby and found them to shoot very close to the SST's. They are every bit as tough as an accubond.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:43 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I did not see any reference where the OP was asking about the 225 gr being used in a 338 AM but just for everyones information, I do not recommend that bullet weight in the 338 Allen Magnum. To light for proper powder ignition.

In my testing, even the 250 gr bullet weights are pretty light for good powder ignition. At 265 gr you really start to see good performance, 280 gr even better, 300 gr great!!!

To the OPs question, it all depends on chambering and distance. The SST in a moderate sized magnum may be to fragile for hard impacts at ranges under 300 yards but at ranges past say 600 yards would perform completely different.

I would also agree the Interbond would be a bit better choice but still would avoid really hard close range impacts like shoulder knuckles and such. The Nosler Accubond is a stouter bullet simply because it has a much heavier jacket and heavy solid base compared to the Interbond which has a relatively thin jacket. Yes its bonded but the jacket thickness will still determine how the bullet will penetrate under hard impacts.

I would prefer to see a bit more bullet weight such as the 250 gr but there is no question that a well placed 225 gr bullet will do anything you need to do, many of you will remember the adventures of old GoodGrouper and the 225 gr Accubond was about the only bullet he used in his 338 Thunder (338 RUM improved).

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com