Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

3200 fps-300 smk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 3200 fps-300 smk

Thanks Joel and Kirby for the info. I think the 330 Baer is the big reamer I found. The rifle that got mid 3200's was stamped 338-378 Custom on the barrel. The guy inherited it from a family member evidently and didn't know anything about it. He said the custom dies were stamped the same way. It had a very short neck compared to mine and basically straight walled until the 35 degree shoulder. I saw the load data he inherited and had to see it over the chrono and it did what it said it would, mid 3200's. I have seen fast 338-378's with super long barrels hit 3100 fps and this guy had load data 9-10 grains hotter than my 338-378. So I was trying to extrapalate out if this was normal or not and if it was I was headed for the biggest reamer I could find based off the 378 wby case and try my luck. I offered the guy $1500 for it for starters and he said he could not sell it, that it must remain in the family. It was on a mk 5 action and a straight taper stainless barrel. My guess was that it was an older gun because it had a nice piece of walnut on it. From your input I guess the guy had a super fast barrel.

Again, thanks for both of your input.

Unread 04-08-2010, 05:52 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Russo View Post
Long Time Long Ranger~

Just for clarification... The .338 Big Baer is based off of the .408 case. The .330 Baer is based off the .378 Wby case.

Both are improved versions with 35* shoulders and minimal taper.

The .330 Baer will not get you 3200 fps with the 300 SMK.
I saw a .338 Big Baer at Ship a couple of years ago. It had a cartridge that looked like it should go in something with wheels on it. The rifle was huge, weighed 34 lbs and had a big looooooong barrel - no muzzle brake. It was apparently "the" main rifle for a group of 5 or 6 guys that take it to a place in NW Colorado every year Elk hunting. They said the best place to hunt had shots of 800 to 1200 yards. They carry it to their hunting stand in a 4WD Kawasake Diesel vehicle.

Their whole year is getting ready for and then going on their Elk Hunting trip.

Anyway, they set it up on the 800 yard target, shot 4 shots into a 4" group (one of them was calling the shots looking through binoculars made from two 80mm spotting scopes), then took it to the 100 yard range with some tall paper to get data for an emergency zero if they had to change scopes, put it back in it's coffin (big wooden case for the rifle), and left.

They are the only folks I've seen shoot a group like that at 800 from a cold bore including the bench rest guys that sometimes shoot there.

I asked them how much powder it had in it, it was well over a 100 grains (140?) but I forget the exact answer.

They said there were 6 rifles like that as far as they knew - all built by the same guy (Baer) here in PA.

They weren't using a chronograph so I've no velocity numbers. It was a genuine big-boomer.

Fitch
Unread 04-08-2010, 05:59 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Hey Fitch~

You ever want to pull the trigger on a .338 Big Baer, get in touch with me. I'm a few miles down the road from you.

I have a few of them and happen to be good friends with that guy in PA that builds them.
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member

WOW, that's impressive to say the least.

You mentioned you saw the load data he inherited, would love to know what that thing was loaded with and how much???
Unread 04-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

LTLR,

Also, remember that the throat can create a huge increase in velocity if designed properly. If the throat is long with alot of freebore yet cut properly tomatch bullet diameter, its not uncommon to pick up 100-150 fps over what the same capacity chambering could produce because you can put in much more powder because the longer freebore flattens the pressure curve dramatically which allows more powder to be put under that bullet.

In my testing this is certainly true as I have gotten the same exact results with my Hybrid custom throat designs, BUT, and its a big but, when that throat starts to errode and it WILL erode faster then a conventional throat, you will start to loose velocity and consistancy. No free lunches.

I would be curious to know if he was seating to the lands of if the chamber has a decent amount of freebore in it to help with the high velocity potential.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Unread 04-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Fitch,

There are several 338 wildcats based on the 408 CT parent case. The short list includes the standard 338 CT, 338 Sniper Tac, 338 Big Baer and my 338 Allen Magnum. They are listed pretty much in order of performance but all are extreme in performance and with good handloads will easily break 3250 fps with a 300 gr SMK bullet. The upper end of this performance will be in the near 3400 fps range with same bullet if your happy with 3-4 firings per case brass life. I generally recommend loading my 338 AM to around 3250-3300 fps simply for extended brass life but full 3400 fps potential is certainly practical.

The rifle you saw was a heavy rifle. There are also many heavy sporter weight rifles are also available in the 15 to 20 lb range. There is really no need for this heavy of a rifle unless you want one. For example one of my Xtreme Heavy Sporters which is similiar to many others being made right now will get you down to the 15 lb range on the lighter end using conventional rifle componants yet likely will have less recoil then the rifle you saw because they employ very aggressive muzzle brake designs. I can see bullet impacts at any range with my lighter 338 AM rifles.

As far as what the guys were getting with that rifle at 800 yards. To be honest, that is a bit larger groups then I would expect to see from one of Bruces heavy rifles and to be honest, this type of accuracy, 1/2 moa 800 yard accuracy is pretty common with the high quality 338-408 CT wildcat rifles available now. Not only that, the performance level reduces the ill effects of environmental conditions compared to lesser rounds of same caliber. Simply put, the extra performance, when used in a quality rifle, make it easier to hit small targets at long range easier then lesser calibers.

There are also a hell of alot more of these rifles out there then 6. I have 7 of them sitting on the rack in the shop right now just waiting for final payment to ship and I know Bruce builds many more then I do every year.

You are correct, they are truely amazing precision instruments.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Unread 04-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

B23,

I would also be interested in seeing this load data. Not for debate purposes but for educational purposes just to compare and see what he is using and getting away with.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com