Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

.308 Project -seeking advice-

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 01:33 AM
Bronze Member

.308 Project -seeking advice-

This is sort of what I have in mind as a list of what I would like to see for next rifle build.

Stock: Manners T4
Barrel: Rock, Krieger, Lija, Broughten plenty to list
Action: Stiller Precision TAC300 w/ R700 3 point safety shroud
Trigger: Timney R700 Tactical Trigger
Trigger Guard: Badger ordnance M5
Rings: Badger Ordnance
Scope Rail: Badger Ordnance
Scope: Premier Reticle's Heritage 5-25x50 paid for awaiting order
Sling: Turder Sadelry national match AWS

I am open to sudgestion on everything except the scope and stock.
Thanks a lot,
RiP
Old 07-27-2010, 06:05 AM
Platinum Member

Re: .308 Project -seeking advice-

The chief decision left to make is the reamer and throat. You should decide what is the purpose for building the rifle and choose accordingly.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:03 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
The chief decision left to make is the reamer and throat. You should decide what is the purpose for building the rifle and choose accordingly.
This is where I am extremely week. I have absolutely no experience when it comes to the throat and reemers and I don't have the slighest idea where I should be looking to buy these at.

I wish I knew more so I could put this together myself...

Thanks,
RiP
Old 07-27-2010, 06:51 PM
Gold Member

That's a helluva list. Question, though. Why the TAC300 for a short action cartridge (or did you not mean 308 Win)? If you plan to use the long action to load extra long, then you might look at the Seekins DBM. They'll let you load a little longer COAL than the AICS mags.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member

There is a palma or match reamer that has a short throat for the 155s and 175 match bullets. If you try to shoot heavy bullets then they have to be seated down into the case. So you need to decide what weight bullets you are gong to shoot. If you choose a long throat then you gamble on being able to jump the shorter bullets.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
This is where I am extremely week. I have absolutely no experience when it comes to the throat and reemers and I don't have the slighest idea where I should be looking to buy these at.

I wish I knew more so I could put this together myself...

Thanks,
RiP
Your reamer is something you probably would not have to buy yourself. Rather, you would discuss this with your gunsmith and he would buy the appropriate reamer based on the amount of freebore you want to have. He might charge you for the reamer, and give it to you when the build is done.

In an earlier post, BB had it right. The thing you need to do in terms of this is decide what weight bullet you want to shoot. Generally speaking, the heavier the bullet, the more freebore (distance from the throat of the case, to the lands of the barrel) you will want. This will allow you to seat the bullet further out - subsequently, it does not take much much case space.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadPilot View Post
That's a helluva list. Question, though. Why the TAC300 for a short action cartridge (or did you not mean 308 Win)? If you plan to use the long action to load extra long, then you might look at the Seekins DBM. They'll let you load a little longer COAL than the AICS mags.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
There is a palma or match reamer that has a short throat for the 155s and 175 match bullets. If you try to shoot heavy bullets then they have to be seated down into the case. So you need to decide what weight bullets you are gong to shoot. If you choose a long throat then you gamble on being able to jump the shorter bullets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
Your reamer is something you probably would not have to buy yourself. Rather, you would discuss this with your gunsmith and he would buy the appropriate reamer based on the amount of freebore you want to have. He might charge you for the reamer, and give it to you when the build is done.

In an earlier post, BB had it right. The thing you need to do in terms of this is decide what weight bullet you want to shoot. Generally speaking, the heavier the bullet, the more freebore (distance from the throat of the case, to the lands of the barrel) you will want. This will allow you to seat the bullet further out - subsequently, it does not take much much case space.
Hi gent's-

That's why I am here; for knowledge I don't have. I don't know exactly what I need for this build. All I can say is I would like this rifle to be as accurate as I can but I don't want to be limmited to one grain size. I would even like to be able to shoot a hunting cartridge out of it if I had to vs. a match grade if need be if that makes sense. I shoot the M24 from time to time and we don't always have match grade rounds and every once in a while we shoot some of the linked 240 ammo.

I am seeking good input on what it is I need so when I talk to the smith I know what I am getting in to.

I really appreciate all the replies. It's nice when you have some guidance especially with so much money in play.

Thanks a million!
RiP