Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

300wsm win coyote light

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 08:13 AM

300wsm win coyote light

Does anyone out there have any reviews about this gun. I can't find any reviews in the 300WSM caliber.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:28 AM

Re: 300wsm win coyote light

I have a 300wsm, 24" ss barrel from savage. I have taken whitetails at 325 yds with it. I have always used fusion rounds and always had clean punch through with minimal expansion, I guess because of the velocities it puts out. Maybe I need to change ammo? The deer do tend to drop right there when hit. The exit wound may be small but the carnage on the inside of the thoracic cavity is brutal. I think in retrospect, that it kicks too much for a follow up shot in most hunting situations. I believe that I wore out the simple stock from the factory because my groups became poor. Now, it is fully aluminum bedded in a B&C medalist. It is a great set-up...but if I were thinking about hunting ...inside of 350yds, there are plenty of cheaper and less recoiling rounds to shoot. I have found lots of love for the simple .308. It is so predictable when it comes to groupings and bullet drop.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by czerwinski366 View Post
Does anyone out there have any reviews about this gun. I can't find any reviews in the 300WSM caliber.
The 300 WSM is a very good cartridge as is the others. 270, 7mm, 300, and 325 But the Coyote
seems to be a very poor attempt by Winchester to counter the rem Sendero.

I have worked on many Winchester Coyotes and only found one or two that shot good enough
for hunting(1 to 1&1/2 MOA).

Barrels were not very good and had to be hand lapped, and the bedding was terrible.

So if you get one, go ahead and bed it and hope it will shoot.

I will say that after truing the action,setting the shoulder back, touching the chamber and
re headspacing plus lapping the barrel and bedding they will shoot well under 1 MOA But
so will most other factory rifles.

Sorry, I was not impressed at all with the Winchester Coyotes quality control.

I'm sure that there are some good ones out there but I have not seen them.

J E CUSTOM
Old 03-06-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
The 300 WSM is a very good cartridge as is the others. 270, 7mm, 300, and 325 But the Coyote
seems to be a very poor attempt by Winchester to counter the rem Sendero.

I have worked on many Winchester Coyotes and only found one or two that shot good enough
for hunting(1 to 1&1/2 MOA).

Barrels were not very good and had to be hand lapped, and the bedding was terrible.

So if you get one, go ahead and bed it and hope it will shoot.

I will say that after truing the action,setting the shoulder back, touching the chamber and
re headspacing plus lapping the barrel and bedding they will shoot well under 1 MOA But
so will most other factory rifles.

Sorry, I was not impressed at all with the Winchester Coyotes quality control.

I'm sure that there are some good ones out there but I have not seen them.

J E CUSTOM
Were you refering to the new coyote lights that came out last year or the older coyote's from winchester?
Old 03-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by czerwinski366 View Post
Were you refering to the new coyote lights that came out last year or the older coyote's from winchester?
The older Coyotes .

I have not worked on the newest ones. and I hope they are better.

J E CUSTOM