Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

300wsm feeding????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member

300wsm feeding????

Do you typically have the same problems with the 300wsm as you do with the 7wsm feeding the longer BC bullets in a short action?

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran

Last edited by blipelt; 03-27-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Silver Member

Re: 300wsm feeding????

I have had 4 different 300wsm rifles and the only one I had a problem with was my Remington. The other 3 are savages and have functioned perfectly. My buddy has had 2 Remingtons and one Tikka in 300WSM and one of the Remingtons would not feed but the other one would as would the Tikka.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipelt View Post
Do you typically have the same problems with the 300wsm as you do with the 7wsm feeding the longer BC bullets in a short action?

Brent
Brent,
The 300WSM and the 7WSM will both feed very similar and will never work very good with long heavy bullets seated out to max length in a short action.

To get the WSM to feed in a short action or any action properly the center feed mag systems are definitely the way to go.

The Winchester and some of the new Savages I have also made, feed with some good success as they are control round feed actions.

The Tikka's have a center feed mag for the WSM and feed very nice ,but you are still limited in your overall length in a short action, so the heavy bullets won't work very well without a special throat and seating the bullets down in the case.

Savages new center feed mag system also works very well, but again you are limited in overall length as with the Tikka.

My reccomendations... if you want a repeater with the WSM's and heavy VLD's seated to max length is to use a long action Remington style receiver with a center feed mag system, or a Winchester control round feed in a long action. I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones I have found work best. If a short action is a "must have" I would say you would be best to use either a Winchester CRF set up for the WSM's, a Tikka or a Remington with a center feed mag system and have the barrel cut with a special short throat cut. hopefully Seekins will be coming out with an extended short action center feed mag system for the WSM's soon.

FWIW,
Nate
Old 03-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Gold Member

Grit left here late lastnight and was still logged in to my computer. I realized after I posted this so Len feel free to deleat the above post or Grit you can when you get home.

Brent,
The 300WSM and the 7WSM will both feed very similar and will never work very good with long heavy bullets seated out to max length in a short action.

To get the WSM to feed in a short action or any action properly the center feed mag systems are definitely the way to go.

The Winchester and some of the new Savages I have also made, feed with some good success as they are control round feed actions.

The Tikka's have a center feed mag for the WSM and feed very nice ,but you are still limited in your overall length in a short action, so the heavy bullets won't work very well without a special throat and seating the bullets down in the case.

Savages new center feed mag system also works very well, but again you are limited in overall length as with the Tikka.

My reccomendations... if you want a repeater with the WSM's and heavy VLD's seated to max length is to use a long action Remington style receiver with a center feed mag system, or a Winchester control round feed in a long action. I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones I have found work best. If a short action is a "must have" I would say you would be best to use either a Winchester CRF set up for the WSM's, a Tikka or a Remington with a center feed mag system and have the barrel cut with a special short throat cut. hopefully Seekins will be coming out with an extended short action center feed mag system for the WSM's soon.

FWIW,
Nate
Old 03-28-2009, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the information I will keep it in mind and go another route with the project.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran