close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Reply

300WSM - Is 2720fps too slow?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 12-20-2009, 11:24 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16
300WSM - Is 2720fps too slow?

Greetings. I'm just getting into reloading (as in the stuff is still under the x-mas tree). : ) I have a trip coming up though and won't have time to figure everything out. I shot two factory loads through the chrono.
Winchester Supreme 180gr Accubonds - shot 2920fps.
Nosler Custom 180 gr Accubonds - shot 2720 fps (which I was a little suprised)

The Nosler grouped .5" at 100 yds - the Winchester grouped 1.1" at 100 yds. Most of the shooting on this trip will be 300-400 yds. (about 3" different at 400yds according to the ballistic calc - but 200 lower K.Energy).

Is that too slow in you opinion? I guess I like the accuracy and feel I can place it better.....but want enough juice behind it as well.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 12-21-2009, 12:59 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2006
    Location: Dayton, Nevada
    Posts: 1,937
    Re: 300WSM - Is 2720fps too slow?

    2720fps is just fine....for a 30-06.

    I'd do some shooting with the Winchester and see what kind of groups you are getting at 300-400 yards. See what 1.1" @ 100 yards translates into at your hunting distances.

    If it truly is unacceptable to you go ahead and do the same with the Nosler Custom loads. See how they do at your hunting distances.

    I'm surprised by the numbers from Nosler as well.
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 12-21-2009, 01:49 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 7,000
    Re: 300WSM - Is 2720fps too slow?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tom_minnesota View Post
    Greetings. I'm just getting into reloading (as in the stuff is still under the x-mas tree). : ) I have a trip coming up though and won't have time to figure everything out. I shot two factory loads through the chrono.
    Winchester Supreme 180gr Accubonds - shot 2920fps.
    Nosler Custom 180 gr Accubonds - shot 2720 fps (which I was a little suprised)

    The Nosler grouped .5" at 100 yds - the Winchester grouped 1.1" at 100 yds. Most of the shooting on this trip will be 300-400 yds. (about 3" different at 400yds according to the ballistic calc - but 200 lower K.Energy).

    Is that too slow in you opinion? I guess I like the accuracy and feel I can place it better.....but want enough juice behind it as well.

    Thanks!
    If you don't have time to hunt for other ammo I would go with the best shooting ammo.

    2720 ft/sec is slow for the WSM but that's plenty fast for shooting 400 yards.

    The Winchester supreme velocities are going to be hard to beat in a factory load because
    the use proprietary powder that was developed for the WSM and cannot be purchased
    by any other ammo manufacture. so don't expect any other brand to reach the velocity of
    the Winchester brand In the WSMs.

    Most Weatherby ammo is hard to duplicate for the same reason.

    J E CUSTOM
    __________________
    "PRESS ON"
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 12-21-2009, 09:34 AM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Posts: 16
    Re: 300WSM - Is 2720fps too slow?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    2720fps is just fine....for a 30-06.

    I'd do some shooting with the Winchester and see what kind of groups you are getting at 300-400 yards. See what 1.1" @ 100 yards translates into at your hunting distances.

    If it truly is unacceptable to you go ahead and do the same with the Nosler Custom loads. See how they do at your hunting distances.

    I'm surprised by the numbers from Nosler as well.
    Good one!! I wasn't real happy to see the 2720 number (I was having chrono doubts until I shot the Winchester...then followed with the Nosler...then reconfirmed the Winchester).

    I think I'll use up the Nosler and then use that brass for my experimentation with the new reloading gear under the tree (I'm excited to get into that......thanks to all of you guys!!). : )
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 12-21-2009, 01:51 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: May 2008
    Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
    Posts: 6,068
    Re: 300WSM - Is 2720fps too slow?

    Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tom_minnesota View Post
    Good one!! I wasn't real happy to see the 2720 number (I was having chrono doubts until I shot the Winchester...then followed with the Nosler...then reconfirmed the Winchester).

    I think I'll use up the Nosler and then use that brass for my experimentation with the new reloading gear under the tree (I'm excited to get into that......thanks to all of you guys!!). : )
    Shoot them both @ 300-400 yds and compare again. The results may be different. You never know....

    In anycase, either load will work fine out to 400 yds.
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 12-21-2009, 03:48 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Location: Montana
    Posts: 161
    Re: 300WSM - Is 2720fps too slow?

    2720 fps will be just fine for deer/elk out to 4-500 yards. a proper hit will kill either just as dead as any 3300 fps super duper magnum in the world. I have clients show up every year with the newest, fastest and biggest none of which does any good when you can't shoot it. one thing is for sure, no deer or elk will ever know the difference. take the equipment that shoots best. there is a man on long range hunting who's signature say's " a slow hit is better than a fast miss " I don't know who he is but take his advise, he's a smart man.
    __________________
    Bud Martin
    www.redboneoutfitting.com
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 12-21-2009, 09:17 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Location: Falls Church, VA
    Posts: 3,474
    Re: 300WSM - Is 2720fps too slow?

    2720 is slow for a 300wsm but it's sufficient to kill elk at 600 yards with the accubond (nosler recommends a minimum of 1800fps for reliable expansion - starting at 2720, your bullet will reach 1800fps at 600 yards)
    __________________
    I'm not gonna shoot here. I'm gonna shoot waaaaaaaay over there!
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: 300WSM - Is 2720fps too slow?
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    RL-22 The Slow Burn Festus Reloading 9 10-03-2009 10:10 AM
    Slow Day Buffalobob Upland Bird Hunting 1 09-02-2009 09:18 PM
    This site is slow! 6mm General Discussion 16 08-31-2009 07:42 PM
    Slow barrel chain Reloading 5 10-29-2007 06:48 PM
    Powder Too Slow? Kevin Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 7 03-09-2006 12:54 PM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC