Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

300RUM brass life????????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2003, 08:17 PM
Silver Member

300RUM brass life????????

Ok guys,....Boyd,..338-378,.....everyone else,...what are you getting? I got 4 firings with wayyyy under max load,..as did two other individuals who own them as well. I felt the primers go in just a bit too easy on the 5th loading,..but thought I would try them again anyway. The first one,...loaded with 88gr of RL25 and a SMK 200gr,...I had to smack the bolt open. I know the bullet was seated out to far from the pressure of closing the bolt,..but I don't think the charge was too much. I think the case was just expanded too much. The last time around,...It was all I could do to get them out of the Wilson seater die,....and even if I body size them,...the primer pockets pretty much dictate that being a waste of time.

Is there something I have missed? I DO NOT shoot max loads unless the gun likes them,...which I can't tell because I have gotten .250" groups from H1000 and RL25 thus far,..and much before max charges,...so it's not my powder.

Anyone?
Old 07-27-2003, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 300RUM brass life????????

Hello Just C

I have the Tomahawk which is the 300 RUM improved.

I shorten the case by .010" to start with.
I turn the necks to .012" thickness.

I full length resize after "EVERY" firing.

I shoot VERY stiff loads using the 240 gr Sierra MK.

Have got up to 7 firings/loadings from the brass so far.

I felt that 7X loading with stiff loads and 240 gr bullets was great, considering how inexpensive the Remington brass is.

What bullet are you using?

Later
DC
Old 07-28-2003, 07:37 AM
Silver Member

Hey Darryl.

I am using the 200gr matchking in a 30" 10twist tube. I have turned the high spots on the neck,...and they are at about a .335 loaded round +/-. I am using a .332 bushing,..federal 215M primers,...and so far have only worked with H1000 and RL25. I have given up on the H1000 after chronographing 88gr against 87gr of RL25 at 250FPS faster!!!!

I loaded some H870,...but have only fired 4 rounds so far,..and have no opinion at this point. I also have Retumbo and have not yet opened the can.

May I ask why you full length them every time? Mine shoot well fireforming,..but better when neck sized and once fired. They formed brass is in the .250" range when I do my part.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member

Hello

Anytime I work with a large case and with potent loads using heavy bullets, I have always had the best results when full length resizing the cases. Results range from, the brass holding up much longer to better accuracy "most" of the time.

Many matches have been won while shooting in 1000 yard competitions while the person is fireforming or using brand new brass that was full lengthed sized.

This is not true when talking about the PPC size cases but, for large cases such as the 300 RUM, it seems to be true.

Resizing and bumping the shoulder back sometimes helps with accuracy also.

Later
DC
Old 07-28-2003, 09:16 AM
Silver Member

So If I have a body die,...should I be running the cases through it every time? And how should I set it up?

Thanks

Also,...how does this affect my primer pocket life?
Old 07-28-2003, 12:57 PM
Silver Member

i'm on about round 8-9 so far with my brass. they're still shooting sub MOA groups without problem, and i havent had one go bad yet. all i do is trim length, but i do full size every one as well. ran 89gr RL25 and 91gr of H1000 with 200SMK's already, and now my working load is 90 with 220SMK's using retumbo. fed 215 primers in all of them. probably should switch brass out here soon, but they keep shooting around 3/4MOA groups and thats good enough for me. primers have been seating fairly easy, but i havent lost any accuracy because of it. are your cases lubed at all when you shoot? that might allow too much expanding- make sure they're dry.

-brian
Old 07-28-2003, 03:31 PM
Silver Member

Mountain Man,...my cases are lubed to be able to get them out of the wilson dies. I have always been told that neck sizing is the way to go for accuracy,..and now Darryl has thrown me for a loop. I hope he expounds upon his statement (Hint,..Hint) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I do wipe them down before I take them to the range.

I had to smack the bolt open yesterday on a case on it's 5th firing that should have shown NO pressure signs,...as I had shot that load before with no problems. It was also DIFFICULT to get it out of the die. After the 3rd firing,..you have to lube them well,..anc still must be carefull prying them from the wilson die,..or you can bend the rims.

[ 07-28-2003: Message edited by: JustC ]