Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

300rum or 338rum

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-23-2014, 08:11 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 58
300rum or 338rum

I have a 300 ultra mag that I believe is due for a new barrel.
I struggled with this question when I first purchased my 300. 300 or 338 Lapua. Now that I had decided on the 300 back then, some of my perspectives have changed a bit, but the question is no less easily decided. This will be an elk rifle looking to reach 1000 yards if necessary, but want still to be as close as I can. 338 Lapua is out because I want to rebarrel, not reface bolt. 338 Rem ultra has the same bolt face, so no need to open the bolt face. Action needs no work.
I have a lot of 300 RUM brass and bullets.....this also plays somewhat into my decision. Does anyone know if you can take 300 brass and resize to 338 ultra?
This knowledge will also help in my decision.
Any opinions on caliber choice are also welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 08-23-2014, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,509
Re: 300rum or 338rum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwey1 View Post
I have a 300 ultra mag that I believe is due for a new barrel.
I struggled with this question when I first purchased my 300. 300 or 338 Lapua. Now that I had decided on the 300 back then, some of my perspectives have changed a bit, but the question is no less easily decided. This will be an elk rifle looking to reach 1000 yards if necessary, but want still to be as close as I can. 338 Lapua is out because I want to rebarrel, not reface bolt. 338 Rem ultra has the same bolt face, so no need to open the bolt face. Action needs no work.
I have a lot of 300 RUM brass and bullets.....this also plays somewhat into my decision. Does anyone know if you can take 300 brass and resize to 338 ultra?
This knowledge will also help in my decision.
Any opinions on caliber choice are also welcome.

Thanks in advance!

The 338 RUM will work great on Elk to about 1200 yards.

There is another option that you might think about, the 338 EDGE (It is simply a 300 RUM necked up
to 338. IT has more powder capacity than the 338 RUM and If you already have lots of 300 RUM brass all you need to do is anneal it, size it and load it.

It will function without any changes to your action and magazine.

There is also a 338 EDGE AI for even more powder capacity and velocity, with no changes to the action and mag.

Just a thought

J E CUSTOM
__________________
"PRESS ON"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-23-2014, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California Central Coast
Posts: 1,075
Re: 300rum or 338rum

First part of your questions: Can I size down 300RUM to 338RUM, I am sure of it but have not done it. Is it worth the work?

So IIWM (if it were me) and of course it was. I'd go with a 338/300 RUM aka 338 Edge. No action modifications. Just neck up your brass.

If you have a R700 type action, a Wyatts box that will extend your COAL. 3.75" is easy, 4.0" requires a little machining/gunsmithing.

Load work up seems easy.

I don't know if I just got lucky but my "finger in the wind" starting load (not really) cloverleafs every time out. I made 700 yards on target with the first 20 rounds with fouler/break in bullets. I'm not going fast yet but I'm accuracy above speed. Last outing, just held for wind and put a mark on the 400y stop sign target. Used that mark to change hold for a dead center hit on same. All that with Hornady 285 HPBT 2nds, sorted by weight and ogive.
__________________
Fred Seaman
“Ask, Listen, Learn, Grow”
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-23-2014, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California Central Coast
Posts: 1,075
Re: 300rum or 338rum

J E,

What are the dimentions of an Edge AI?
__________________
Fred Seaman
“Ask, Listen, Learn, Grow”
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-23-2014, 09:40 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 58
Re: 300rum or 338rum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfseaman View Post
First part of your questions: Can I size down 300RUM to 338RUM, I am sure of it but have not done it. Is it worth the work?

So IIWM (if it were me) and of course it was. I'd go with a 338/300 RUM aka 338 Edge. No action modifications. Just neck up your brass.

If you have a R700 type action, a Wyatts box that will extend your COAL. 3.75" is easy, 4.0" requires a little machining/gunsmithing.

Load work up seems easy.

I don't know if I just got lucky but my "finger in the wind" starting load (not really) cloverleafs every time out. I made 700 yards on target with the first 20 rounds with fouler/break in bullets. I'm not going fast yet but I'm accuracy above speed. Last outing, just held for wind and put a mark on the 400y stop sign target. Used that mark to change hold for a dead center hit on same. All that with Hornady 285 HPBT 2nds, sorted by weight and ogive.
What would the COAL on a 338-300 RUM need to be with say a 300 gr berger hunting vld?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-23-2014, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,509
Re: 300rum or 338rum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwey1 View Post
What would the COAL on a 338-300 RUM need to be with say a 300 gr berger hunting vld?
Mag length will determine the coal, (Unless you want to single load)but it will be the same as
the 300 rum otherwise.

The EDGE AI has a little less body taper and a 40o shoulder increasing the capacity 4 to 6 grains.

The reamer manufacture will have a drawing with the dimensions on there reamer. (This is not a SAMME cartridge).

J E CUSTOM
__________________
"PRESS ON"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-23-2014, 10:38 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 58
Re: 300rum or 338rum

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Mag length will determine the coal, (Unless you want to single load)but it will be the same as
the 300 rum otherwise.

The EDGE AI has a little less body taper and a 40o shoulder increasing the capacity 4 to 6 grains.

The reamer manufacture will have a drawing with the dimensions on there reamer. (This is not a SAMME cartridge).

J E CUSTOM
Sooooo, the bullet jump could then be mostly controlled when the barrel chamber is cut, meaning seat bullet deeper in the case? I saw something elsewhere that had COAL around 3.9, my mag is only 3.7 tight.
With the Edge AI could I still use my 300 brass which has only a 30 degree shoulder?
Am very interested in the Edge as long as I can make it fit using magazine.
Do you know of a smith that would chamber in the edge? My current smith does not have this chambering listed. Maybe I can talk him into it, but I'd be more comfortable with someone that has done it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC