Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

300. wsm vs. 7mm rem mag.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #29  
Old 09-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: West Central, Idaho
Posts: 435
Re: 300. wsm vs. 7mm rem mag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
How many bull elk have you killed with a 280 Rem and at what ranges?

Like I said his trophy room has game from Africa to Alaska in it. Numerous elk, moose, bear etc. (since they were the animals listed). Out to 500 yds. You'd prolly want to step up to the 7 mag at longer distances!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: West Central, Idaho
Posts: 435
Re: 300. wsm vs. 7mm rem mag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Here in Montana, if you shoot a game animal and do not retreive it before the meat spoils, you will get slapped a heavy fine and maybe loose hunting prividges for a while. I would suggest not recommending to people what they should use to kill elk with until you have some experience in it..
I think that is probably the law in most states. It is here in Idaho too. But, you have to make a reasonable effort to do so. Just because your elk runs into some timber isn't going to be the factor in getting fined for retrieval efforts! There is a broader sense of the law! To address the second part of the statement I live in elk country, I "have some experience in it". I agree that the range factor absolutely must be addressed that's a fact, lots of people get on here and ask questions because google points them this direction and 400 yds to them is probably beyond their ability (not to say the original author applies)

I believe the original question involved keeping the 7RM vs. getting a 300wsm. I pointed towards the 280 to point out that lots of "big game" has been taken with less and shot placement is going to be the biggest factor. I think it is so funny to read all the posts that talk about needing .30 cal ultra mags to take elk, when in fact they are probably suffering due to the fact they are scared to shoot them.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09-16-2013, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alaska
Posts: 3,437
Re: 300. wsm vs. 7mm rem mag.

A hunter that has prepared to the point of being able to competently harvest large game at 600 to 1000 yds is no longer going to be afraid to shoot his rifle. He'll probably have a muzzle brake installed to reduce recoil by the time he's practiced and proficient at long range targets or game. So for long range hunters, who tend to practice with their rifles more than closer range/woods hunters in order to stay proficient, the fear of recoil has most often been resolved one way or another. Otherwise, they wouldn't have become proficient at the longer yardages.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-16-2013, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,953
Re: 300. wsm vs. 7mm rem mag.

It's all about improving the odds fellas. That's why I moved up. Both rifles can get the job done. One can get it done a little better.

As Tyler mentioned, this IS Long Range Hunting and when we talk about hunting, we do so with that as the big picture. This forum is different than 24 hr Campfire and I'm not knocking 24 hr campfire. It's just different. On average, the chamberings used and talked about here are larger because we shoot and hunt farther. A 7 mag shoots farther than a 280 and an STW shoots farther than a 7 mag. A 30 cal makes a bigger hole than a 7 and a 338 makes a bigger hole than a 30. You get it.

With smaller game, cal selection is not a huge deal, but never the less, you will see more deer bang flop shooting them with a 300 WSM vs a 240 WBY. The reason is, or should be obvious. Not saying don't shoot deer with a 240 WBY or 243... just saying the bigger gun is gonna nock'em down quicker.

Shot placement and caliber are two completely different subjects. Saying that shot placement is or can be dependent on cartridge size is a weak and flawed argument. Most of the LR shooters/hunters I know have muzzle brakes on their rifles. I don't think I've see a pic of one of Kirby's rifles yet without a brake on it. I have been to several shoots with other members of the forum and 9 out of 10 rifles wear brakes, even the smaller cals. I shot a 300 RUM for a few years without a brake, with no problem other than I could not see down range hits. Shot placement is about good shooting techniques, not cal selection. There are many many members here with BIG guns that shoot very accurately. Recoil can be managed by good technique and proper equipment. And BTW, the 7 mag does not kick a whole lot less than a 300 WSM.

If you choose to hunt with a 7 mag, then fine. What chaps my ***** is when folks say the 7 mag is as potent as a 300 mag or better yet, "can out pound a 300 mag". Absolutely ridiculous. And these folks are trying to influence others by making these ridiculous claims. That's what chaps me. I have never seen anyone yet back that up with ballistic numbers, yet it continues to be spread.

Back to improving the odds. If you go hunting elk for 4 seasons and bag a nice bull each year with your 7 mag, and drop him quick, you will think very highly of your rifle. If on the 5th year, you shoot one and he runs off into some rugged country miles from the truck, you will go out and buy a bigger a rifle for next years hunt. One or two successful experiences do not paint an overall picture.

Mud, you mentioned that "deer are like small elk" and to me that comes across as there is little difference between the 2. I will say that there is a big difference between a 100 lb whitetail and a 900 lb bull elk. I've killed both and when you walk up to a big bull down on the ground, it makes you think.

Yup Tyler, guess I am a glutton. Sometimes I wake up the next morning and ask myself, did I really jump into that?
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 09-16-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-16-2013, 11:28 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: West Central, Idaho
Posts: 435
Re: 300. wsm vs. 7mm rem mag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
A hunter that has prepared to the point of being able to competently harvest large game at 600 to 1000 yds is no longer going to be afraid to shoot his rifle. He'll probably have a muzzle brake installed to reduce recoil by the time he's practiced and proficient at long range targets or game. So for long range hunters, who tend to practice with their rifles more than closer range/woods hunters in order to stay proficient, the fear of recoil has most often been resolved one way or another. Otherwise, they wouldn't have become proficient at the longer yardages.

True, An unfortunate fact is lots of people buy their 338 ultra mag put a Leopold or nightforce scope on and think they're a long-range Hunter. Proficiency and range are relative. Which is unfortunate. Same goes in the bow hunting community. Our animals deserve better!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-16-2013, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,876
Re: 300. wsm vs. 7mm rem mag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
It's all about improving the odds fellas. That's why I moved up. Both rifles can get the job done. One can get it done a little better.

As Tyler mentioned, this IS Long Range Hunting and when we talk about hunting, we do so with that as the big picture. This forum is different than 24 hr Campfire and I'm not knocking 24 hr campfire. It's just different. On average, the chamberings used and talked about here are larger because we shoot and hunt farther. A 7 mag shoots farther than a 280 and an STW shoots farther than a 7 mag. A 30 cal makes a bigger hole than a 7 and a 338 makes a bigger hole than a 30. You get it.

With smaller game, cal selection is not a huge deal, but never the less, you will see more deer bang flop shooting them with a 300 WSM vs a 240 WBY. The reason is, or should be obvious. Not saying don't shoot deer with a 240 WBY or 243... just saying the bigger gun is gonna nock'em down quicker.

Shot placement and caliber are too completely different subjects. Saying that shot placement is or can be dependent on cartridge size is a weak and flawed argument. Most of the LR shooters/hunters I know have muzzle brakes on their rifles. I don't think I've see a pic of one of Kirby's rifles yet without a brake on it. I have been to several shoots with other members of the forum and 9 out of 10 rifles wear brakes, even the smaller cals. I shot a 300 RUM for a few years without a brake, with no problem other than I could not see down range hits. Shot placement is about good shooting techniques, not cal selection. There are many many members here with BIG guns that shoot very accurately. Recoil can be managed by good technique and proper equipment. And BTW, the 7 mag does not kick a whole lot less than a 300 WSM.

If you choose to hunt with a 7 mag, then fine. What chaps my ***** is when folks say the 7 mag is as potent as a 300 mag or better yet, "can out pound a 300 mag". Absolutely ridiculous. And these folks are trying to influence others by making these ridiculous claims. That's what chaps me. I have never seen anyone yet back that up with ballistic numbers, yet it continues to be spread.

Back to improving the odds. If you go hunting elk for 4 seasons and bag a nice bull each year with your 7 mag, and drop him quick, you will think very highly of your rifle. If on the 5th year, you shoot one and he runs off into some rugged country miles from the truck, you will go out and buy a bigger a rifle for next years hunt. One or two successful experiences do not paint an overall picture.

Mud, you mentioned that "deer are like small elk" and to me that comes across as there is little difference between the 2. I will say that there is a big difference between a 100 lb whitetail and a 900 lb bull elk. I've killed both and when you walk up to a big bull down on the ground, it makes you think.

Yup Tyler, guess I am a glutton. Sometimes I wake up the next morning and ask myself, did I really jump into that?
I know who you're talking about and that isn't me. And as .284 fan, I agree, that statement was kind of rediculous. I was waiting to see proof of that as well. Because common sense will tell you a 7RM vs a 300 RUM, that the 300 RUM is gonna hit ALOT harder.

Oh no, I know how big elk get...I know weight-wise there's a HUGE difference. I was simply talking about anatomically, as far as shape and vitals location, etc...

Also, most whitetail bucks are around the 150-300 lb range, most legal does (no spots) tend to be 85-150 lbs range.

But I understand where you were coming from thinking about what I was saying. It's all good, now we're on the same page.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,876
Re: 300. wsm vs. 7mm rem mag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iclimb View Post
True, An unfortunate fact is lots of people buy their 338 ultra mag put a Leopold or nightforce scope on and think they're a long-range Hunter. Proficiency and range are relative. Which is unfortunate. Same goes in the bow hunting community. Our animals deserve better!
Hey now...I've been bowhunting since I was 12, and killed alot of deer with guns and bows. I disagree with bowhunting being "inhumane". A good clean double-lung is just as effective as a double-lung with a rifle.

I've only had 1 deer run off that I never retrieved, and I was 14 and bowhunting. It was because my sight had gotten knocked off, and I didn't know it. We searched through some of the thickest nasties thorny briar-patches you can imagine, tracked blood for a while. We did find it a couple days later on the back-side of the pine thicket when we saw the buzzards circling. That is the ONLY deer I've ever shot and not recovered. And yes, I felt like crap about it, but it was something I couldn't help. It happened, many many years ago, and I have made damn-sure it hasn't happened since.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC