Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

300. wsm vs. 7mm rem mag.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Silver Member

Re: 300. wsm vs. 7mm rem mag.

I agree with outlaw. Preference.

However, and i may be wrong, but what about the short mag and reloading? Is it possible to load a bullet so that it touches lands? I've also heard that a WSM starts to struggle with the large for caliber bullets. Recoil is less, or so I've heard. I cant really tell the difference because so many guns weigh so many different weights.

I do know that the 7mag can be finicky. I've gone one and really love it but I have and still am considering trading it in on a 300 winmag. I don't really need both.

I really need a 338BNorma but that is a different delima
Old 03-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Silver Member

Limbic,

Yes you can reload so that the bullet will touch the lands if you single feed . If you want to feed from the mag it will depend on the chamber , lead and actual mag length. In my savage I can .

As far as heavy for caliber bullets, my 300WSM struggled with bullet weights over 200 grains. I'm shooting 185 Bergers now and they are very accurate at 3000ft/sec. I tried 208 A-Max and just couldn't get to where I wanted to be without pressure signs ( really flat primers ). So I gave them to a hunting buddy that shoots a 300 win Mag and he loves them.

Recoil on my 300WSM vs my buddies 300 WinMag ( both Savage BVSS ) the 300WSM is more of a push than a punch. If I was going to be shooting it a lot I'd be more comfortable shooting the WSM.

YMMV

Mike
Old 03-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member

Good thread... I used to hunt with a 7RM for many years and 2 years ago when my 7RM throat burned out I ended up going with a 300 WSM. For an all around hunting cartridge, I think the 300 WSM is a little better.

To try to compare apples to apples, if we look at the 7mm (.284 for those who don't like metrics ) 160 AB vs the .308 ( 7.62mm for those who who do like metrics ) 180 AB we will see that typical velocity of bout 3000 fps is common to both. The 7mm 160 has a very slight edge in BC. The 180 bullet has 12.5% more mass and 18% greater unexpanded frontal area, both of which IMO are significant in the effect they transfer to the game animal. Not huge, but significant. Bottom line, trajectory is almost identical with like bullets.

If we move away from apples to apples, RL17 adds a new dimension to short the short mag cartridges. This powder gives me 200 fps more velocity with a 180 gr bullet out of my 300 WSM. I think RL17 will benefit the 7mm as well, but probably not as much as the 300 WSM. I plan to find out relatively soon.

Last, bullet selection... Many say that the 7mm has better bullet selection, and that is somewhat true IF you prefer highly frangible bullets like the 168 and 180 Bergers and 162 Amax's. IMO, the GS HV 30 cal 177 gr bullet, with its BC and velocities, is probably the best LR hunting bullet available in 30 cal or less cartridges, period. Put that together with RL17 in a 300 WSM package and it will easily out distance and out punch a 7 RM with any available powder or bullet.

JM $.02

-Mark

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 03-24-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Silver Member

Montana--

did you find you WSM easier to load for. By easy I mean accepting of various powders and various charges.

My two 7mags like what they like and everything else is MOA. My 260 eats whatever I feed it and finding a good load is much easier.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:16 PM

Is the .300 WSM a custom action or are you going to use the short action, which is customary for the short magnum family. If you will use the short action for the WSM then you won't be using the heavy bullets others have mentioned. Too long or too far down in the case. For normal long range hunting the 7's are great, for a little more omph the longer 300 mags are great, for substantial more power maybe raise the bar abit and look at the .338 cartridges, Win mag, Weatherby, suam or Lapua.

Good luck... great to have this kind of delema!
Old 03-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

Limbic,

I'm not really a good person to ask that question. My Sako 85 Finnlight 300 WSM does not shoot well. I am trying some different options to fix that.

From what I've read, the WSM doesn't seem to be real hard to load for. I've heard good results with H4350 and RL17. Back in the years i was loading for my 7 RM, i wan't being real picky... just looking for something sub MOA and easily found a load to fit the bill with IMR 4350 pushing 160 Partitions in my Ruger M77 (tang safety). One thing I like about the WSM is the cartridge is NOT belted. I am one of those with an irrational dislike for belted cartridges.

A couple more pluses for the WSM is longer expected barrel life and Norma brass.

My Senderos in 300 RUM and 25-06 are very easy to please. They shoot just about anything well, some loads a little better than others. I think the rifle is more of a factor than cartridge when looking for ease of reloading with good results.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I think the rifle is more of a factor than cartridge when looking for ease of reloading with good results.
I'll add to Montana's post by saying that bullet choice will also determine the ease of load development.
ie, A load for 180 grain Nosler BT's was much easier to develop a load for than the heavy, long ogive, high BC bullets in my experiance.

Mike