Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

300 WSM and VLD's for elk?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Old 12-20-2011, 09:39 PM
RLA RLA is offline
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Posts: 57
Re: 300 WSM and VLD's for elk?

Thanks for all the info guys.

Broz, I have a bunch of 230 otm's that I have been loading into of my rum. What is your load out of the win mag for the the 230's and the 210's

Ican, Coeur d' alene is about 30,000. I have lived here my whole life minus a few years for uncle sam.

Tikamike, I am not a Barnes fan, but I will try some of there 200 grainers

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,620
Re: 300 WSM and VLD's for elk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLA View Post
Broz, I have a bunch of 230 otm's that I have been loading into of my rum. What is your load out of the win mag for the the 230's and the 210's
Both with H-1000 and Fed 215's in Lapua brass. I would start at 74 gr with a 210 and work up. If you use RWS brass start at 72 gr due to the lower case volume.

The 230's I think we ended up at 72 gr. But will have to ask my son. It is his rifle and he worked up the load.

As always start low and work up.

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-21-2011, 12:39 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: utah
Posts: 366
Re: 300 WSM and VLD's for elk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLA View Post
Thanks for all the info guys.

Broz, I have a bunch of 230 otm's that I have been loading into of my rum. What is your load out of the win mag for the the 230's and the 210's

Ican, Coeur d' alene is about 30,000. I have lived here my whole life minus a few years for uncle sam.

Tikamike, I am not a Barnes fan, but I will try some of there 200 grainers

Thanks
74.5 grn retumbo 230 grn otm tactical 2750fps 24"barrel

woops thats for the wm not rum
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-21-2011, 01:18 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boise IDAHO
Posts: 838
Re: 300 WSM and VLD's for elk?

I use a 190 vld in my tikka t3 300wsm/215m/h4350=62gr in fed or 62.5 in win. Shoots tight at 2875fps.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-24-2011, 02:21 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 822
Re: 300 WSM and VLD's for elk?

65.4 grains of 7828SSC in a 300 WSM Norma case with the 230 OTM Tactical at 2700 fps has been my best combination in a 24" barreled Winchester Extreme Weather.

It's by far the best load I have found for this rifle, and the .711 BC of the 230 OTM at 2700 fps easily outshines the 210 VLD fired 100 fps faster.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-24-2011, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,615
Re: 300 WSM and VLD's for elk?

This year I went to the 180 grain cutting edge bullet with great results. It is a custom lathe turned copper bullet that is extremely accurate and dependable on game. I get a bc around .6 and they now conservatively list it at .57 or so. It is pricey but worth it for me as a pure hunting bullet. You should be able to get 3100 fps or so out of it. Run the numbers and see what you think.
__________________
Predictions are difficult, especially when they involve the future
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-24-2011, 04:54 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Valdosta, GA
Posts: 287
Re: 300 WSM and VLD's for elk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
This year I went to the 180 grain cutting edge bullet with great results. It is a custom lathe turned copper bullet that is extremely accurate and dependable on game. I get a bc around .6 and they now conservatively list it at .57 or so. It is pricey but worth it for me as a pure hunting bullet. You should be able to get 3100 fps or so out of it. Run the numbers and see what you think.
LTLR,
What barrel length are you using? When I ran the numbers I get 1649fps at 1000yds using the advertised .570 bc. Do you know if that bullet will have good expansion at the velocity?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: 300 WSM and VLD's for elk?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
22-250 and VLD's COBrad Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 8 01-12-2011 12:02 PM
7 WSM and 180 VLD's Sloverado Reloading 2 06-19-2010 12:07 PM
New .375 cal VLD's??? cbass4761 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 2 04-04-2009 01:26 AM
7mm Rum & 168 VLD's dancoman Reloading 5 08-16-2008 10:36 AM
180 vld's and 168 vld's ? 6BR4ME2 Reloading 14 09-22-2006 08:08 PM

Current Poll
How Many Different Cartridges Do You Reload For?
ZERO, all factory ammo - 8.07%
328 Votes
1 - 2.86%
116 Votes
2 or 3 - 14.55%
591 Votes
4 or 5 - 20.48%
832 Votes
6 or 7 - 14.55%
591 Votes
8 or 9 - 8.86%
360 Votes
10 or more - 30.63%
1,244 Vote
Total Votes: 4,062
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC