Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

300 WSM-Stiller, Surgeon, Defiance, or Badger?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 10:06 PM
Silver Member

300 WSM-Stiller, Surgeon, Defiance, or Badger?

Ok so I am having a 300 WSM built, have a Hart fluted blank, remington varmint contour, 1:10, 26" finish. Need some action advice. I CAN afford a more expensive action, but I don't know if I want to. I can get a Stiller Predator with their tactical bolt handle, 20 MOA rail, and a pinned recoil lug for $930 shipped, that means I can use a Wyatt internal mag box so I can load those high BC bullets with less of an issue, so that's a big plus. Are there any just outright superior advantages to the more expensive actions to justify the extra 400-600 dollars? Purpose is a long range Elk rifle. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:08 PM

Re: 300 WSM-Stiller, Surgeon, Defiance, or Badger?

Surgeon is no longer selling their receivers so they're out. Stiller is nice and the Wyatt mag box drops right in with no machining.

The new Defiance Deviant is one of the nicest I've ever seen. I have one here in the shop and I'm about to chamber a barrel for it now. It's expensive and from the looks of the mag well cut out you won't be able to get any internal mag box and follower to fit. They have several options available so it would take a phone call to them to know what's available.

Marc
Old 04-20-2013, 05:16 AM
Silver Member

I have a stiller on one of my customs. Very smooth action cant go wrong with stiller
Old 04-20-2013, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

None of those actions bolted into a stock will hold a barrel and make it shoot any more accurate than a Winchester Model 70 action. Most folks think they will. Those few having seen the track record of both know otherwise.

Get what ever you want.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
None of those actions bolted into a stock will hold a barrel and make it shoot any more accurate than a Winchester Model 70 action. Most folks think they will. Those few having seen the track record of both know otherwise.

Get what ever you want.
Keep believing that!
Old 04-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member

Sully says I should keep believing Win. 70's do as wall as those others.

Sully, you obviously do not know what accuracy levels they've had at 1000 yards with magnum cartridges since the 1960's. Like all the single shot or other popular benchrest actions such as those in this thread's title used by so many folks these days, they all do no better than staying under 3/4 MOA that far away.

Sure, once in a while a tiny inch or two 5-shot group ekes out, but all the rest are up to 6 or 7 inches. Check out the group agg scores noting the largest group shot in them; if you can find out how bit it was. Then you might understand.

If only a single 5-shot group under 2 inches is all you care about, I've done that at 1000 yards with a .308 Win. from a Win. 70 action, no less, slung up in prone using metallic aperture sights. Just once. No way will I claim that happens all the time. 'Twas just lucky it happened once.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
Sully says I should keep believing Win. 70's do as wall as those others.

Sully, you obviously do not know what accuracy levels they've had at 1000 yards with magnum cartridges since the 1960's. Like all the single shot or other popular benchrest actions such as those in this thread's title used by so many folks these days, they all do no better than staying under 3/4 MOA that far away.

Sure, once in a while a tiny inch or two 5-shot group ekes out, but all the rest are up to 6 or 7 inches. Check out the group agg scores noting the largest group shot in them; if you can find out how bit it was. Then you might understand.

If only a single 5-shot group under 2 inches is all you care about, I've done that at 1000 yards with a .308 Win. from a Win. 70 action, no less, slung up in prone using metallic aperture sights. Just once. No way will I claim that happens all the time. 'Twas just lucky it happened once.

Oh I believe you! Thats why ALL the top shooting people for score....for $$$....for outright accuracy and our men in the field working as snipers ALL SHOOT Mod 70's. WRONGO Cordite breath!!

Not saying a worked over Mod 70 wont shoot nice....but its no nicer than a worked over Rem 700...let alone a Stiller...or Surgeon or a ....X..or a....so dont come flying off the handle blowing your horn...because its ALL HOT AIR