Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

.300 WSM questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 08:27 AM
Silver Member

Re: .300 WSM questions.

i am very curious to hear that you got 2700fps out of a standard magazine length cartridge and a 22" barrel! that is very good velocities. thats the exact load i wanted to try but everyone has warned me to trash the load because of magazine length (i like repeaters) but i may be able to get close to 2800 with a 28" barrel
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 01-13-2013, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

I had to go back to some older posts here and found what you are looking for:
(to be honest I am not sure if the A-bolt has a 22 or 23" barrel, never pulled the boss off. Earlier I said 22" but below I say 23")

Used RL-17 starting from 55 and going up to 58 gr in one grain increments.

Shot three of each load just to get a feel for the rifle's potential. All rounds were fired in a steady mild rain. 58 grs was the best group measuring .692 center to center at 100 yds. I will load up some more and use the A-bolt's BOSS to tighten the group. Yes that's right it is a 23" synthetic Browning A-bolt with Boss that weighs around 7 1/4 lbs! I'll report the velocity of this load sometime in the next week.

I can add another hybrid to the list of others that shoot with random seating depths. FYI the jump was approx. .140"
Old 01-13-2013, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member

Can't go wrong with either one.

I chose to build my 300WSM on a long action & had it throated for 200gr Accubonds.
With 65gr or RL-17, & my 26" bbl I'm a bit over 3100fps with 180Accubonds.

I still have a soft spot for the good ol 300Win. too tho. Like I said, you just can't go wrong with either.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 01-13-2013, 01:41 PM
Silver Member

*shakes head* please keep me informed. my X- bolt should have the same magazine capacity as your a- bolt and if i can get 2700fps out of it then i will be extremely happy and will save me alot of hassle. i have heard reports of 2400fps but no where near 2700. pm me sometime id really like to learn more about this!
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 01-13-2013, 02:57 PM
Platinum Member

You can seat some of the heavier bullets deeper but you are encroaching on case space. I loaded the Berger 210's in mine over some RL 17 but seated then to just off the lans which was too long for the Sako mag box. I was getting about 2910 from that load. If you're going to build a WSM, build it on a long action. The Howa's are a good platform as their LA is slightly shorter than a Rem.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-14-2013, 03:47 AM
Silver Member

My Tikka shoots awsome, I found very few bullets it did not shoot at MOA , most shot under. At 500 yds I was still 3/4 MOA. The best I ever did at 1ooo yds was an 8 inch group. But that was also with hand loads.

They are great to carry and silk smooth shooting. I am going to put a brake on mine to help me get bake on target faster after the shot.